Poll: What To Partner with RS1 If You Only Have Two Cans??
Sep 9, 2006 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. I know this may be a little premature (I am yet to hear the RS1s) but I always like to do some research/surverys beforehand
cool.gif

If you are only going to have two cans for cover your musical requirements, and one of them was the Grado RS1, which other one out of these would you choose:
- Stock HD650
- HD650 with cable (Zu Mobius / Equinox / Cardas / Silver Dragon)
- AKG K701

Any additional comment and observations welcome!

Cheers,
X

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 44
only 3 choices?

how about EAT ME!

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 44
Point taken Kramer
tongue.gif

So if you come across an album/artist where you would, lets say, miss the weight of the 650s; in your opinion do you think you could switch to the RS1s and be satisfied (in terms of weight/bass)?

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
only 3 choices?

how about EAT ME!

Yes....to cut a long story short - availability and choice here is very limited but I have the opportunity to test & possibly purchase these (thanks to a very kind fellow Head-Fier). At this stage I cannot look into importing other cans especially since I won't get the chance to test them and I do not want to buy "blind" (which I would have to as you do not get most cans here).

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon
Point taken Kramer
tongue.gif

So if you come across an album/artist where you would, lets say, miss the weight of the 650s; in your opinion do you think you could switch to the RS1s and be satisfied (in terms of weight/bass)?

I don't miss the 650's. I have only heard the 580 and 600. I dislike them both. The 600 is better than the 580, but neither can compete with the reality of my K601. Sure the 600 has a little more punch, but if I wanted punch I would have stuck with Grado. I sold em, because I wanted quality. Live and breath AKG, you will be much happier.

Sep 9, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon
Point taken Kramer
tongue.gif

650s are too bassy for my tastes, as a music listening can. But thats my preference. RS1 with warm tube amplification is plenty bassy for me. Paired with a sold state pimeta or M^3 turns the RS1 into a shouty beast IMHO. For me, wood Grados are at their best (and plenty warm/bassy) with tube amplificaiton (or tube hybrids).

Garrett

Sep 9, 2006 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 44
Thanks for those insights. I have a PS Audio GCHA, and not quite sure if it is a stricly SS sound, a tube-like sound or something in between. Fortunately though, I will be testing the RS1s and expect the arrival of a tube amp too so I can compare and contrast all three cans on both a SS amp (GCHA) and a tube amp (ASL HB1).

X

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #9 of 44
Why not try Dt880? It's one of the more neutral cans (more so than HD650 IMO) and can be had for less than $200. Very easy to sell too
Should compliment the coloured grados very well

Sep 9, 2006 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 44
I'm in very much the same situation. I am getting MS2i and plan to mate it with a Gilmore Lite.

That of course will be my lively and analytical rock cans. To complement them, the K701 and HD650 are my two front runners as well to concentrate on the warmer more relaxed tunes.

My one concern is that K701 may be "too close" to MS2i. Then there is the fear that HD650 may be "too far"! Then again, I will be running the K701 or HD650 with tubes exclusively, so it may push the K701 closer to the warmth of the HD650. Or I could get silly and run the HD650s through the Glite, and push IT closer to the K701!!

Yeow! Lots of studying pending for me too!!

Sep 9, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #11 of 44
I use a DT770 next to my RS-1. Two entirely different headphones (and used from different amps) and they cover all the genres of music I listen to. Senn's don't do it for me, and I expect that I'll feel the same about the K701.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 44
I used to pair my RS1's w/hd650 - but then traded it for the AT W100. Right now the W100 is making the perfect partner for the RS1's. Paired with a Morgan Jones tube amp -- its great!

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 44
Since I don't like Grados, I'm going to ignore the RS1.
tongue.gif

So the question for me is: "If you can only have one pair of headphones, which would you choose between the HD650 and K701."

While I do enjoy listening to the HD650, I like the K701 a little more overall. The K701 is also more balanced, which is very important if I can only have one headphone.

K701.
biggrin.gif

Sep 9, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 44
I am doing a lot of A/B testing between 650s and 701s now while waiting for the RS1s to arrive for the 3-way shootout. The weight and ancilary warmth of the HD650 is addictive!
tongue.gif

I will have to wait and see....what happens now is I come across some songs where I have to go to the HD650s for the added bass, and back to 701s for songs I need bloom and dynamic. We'll see if the RS1 can add that bass...only time will tell
600smile.gif

EDIT: just a few more added comments from what I am noticing now, with the thanks of Diana Krall:

-HD650 = warm, weighty (great with the Bass at the beginning of "All or nothing at all"!!), vocals at medium level (on par with instruments)
-K701 = brighter, quicker, little more detailed, vocals up front (much more in your face than Senns, take priority above instruments)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back