POLL: What Media Storage/Player are you using? (Please vote)
Nov 16, 2010 at 6:59 AM Post #31 of 70
Hmmm... Feel free to call me a noob but how do AISO, KS, WASAPI and RAMbuffering effect the sound, does it remove computernoise or is it some sort of eq, codec support? Do J River have video playback or is it just audio and does it sync all media players or just players that acts like a external hd?

Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand.

I don't do any device sync'ing, and I don't use a program for media storage.

I just put media on my device directly, and I store my media manually...... why would I need a program like foobar to do this?

Well Foobar200 does a good job at CD extraction (maybe not the best), a good job at library management (if you have discipline in your methods) and a very good job at playback (if you use ASIO,KS, or WASAPI, and also RAM buffering), but other programs will do better at one of these tasks, but not all. A serious listener will use one thing for ripping, another for management, and finally another one for playback. I do!

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #32 of 70

Quote:
I don't understand.

I just put media on my device directly, and I store my media manually...... why would I need a program like foobar to do this?

Sync'ing is very useful if you put all the tracks in one directory and it's a mess, or if you have some music with DRM which is only supported in MTP mode and you don't want the same song to be more than once on your player.

Nov 16, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #33 of 70

Quote:
A serious listener will use one thing for ripping, another for management, and finally another one for playback. I do!

I don't feel I'm a "serious" listener
smile_phones.gif
, but I prefer using one software for one task than a all-in-one, ressource hungry, software that don't do everything the way I need.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #34 of 70

Quote:
I don't understand.

Since all of my music is meticulously cataloged with the ratings, genres, artist, album and album art I can create smart playlists for just about any type of music or mood that I am in.

For instance I can listen to or sync the following playlists to any one of my portable devices:
1.  3-5 Star rated Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.
2.  All 5 Star rated music.
3.  4-5 Star rated Hip-Hop.

Only a sophisticated file managing program can do that.  A simple file folder sorting method could not accomplish this task.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #35 of 70
Ever since moving over to Linux, I've had all sorts of luck working with symbolic links to accomplish this same task using just the file system (and a little scripting). 

In addition to the usual genres directories and directories containing albums made in, e.g. 1991 (and another for albums made in the 90s), it's been especially useful for having an ipod sync directory using just links to those albums I want to sync. 

It's not exactly GUI friendly though (thus thoughts of making a web interface...).

Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand.

Since all of my music is meticulously cataloged with the ratings, genres, artist, album and album art I can create smart playlists for just about any type of music or mood that I am in.

For instance I can listen to to sync the the following playlists to any one of my portable devices:
1.  3-5 Star rated Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin
2.  All 5 Star music.
3.  4-5 Star Hip-Hop

Only a sophisticated file managing program can do that.  A simple file folder sorting method could not accomplish this task.

Nov 16, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #36 of 70
I'm a bit disappointed that no one seems to have answered the storage part of the poll question. All of the poll's choices, aside from "other" are basically media players and media library managers. I use neither, well that's not 100% true since I use Squeezebox Server as the main music library cataloging tool.

Here's a step by run down of how a CD gets into my computer based music library and how I listen to the files:

1) All my music is stored on fully backed up external hard drives with the following directory structure: drive letter:/Music/Genre (split by letter, e.g. Jazz A)/Artist - Album (year)

2) CD is ripped into separate flac files (meaning individual tracks as opposed to a single flac file and a cue sheet) using dbPowerAmp. Multi-disc sets are stored in one directory with track numbers corresponding to disc number, e.g. 101, 201, 301, etc. Track numbers for single discs have only two digits.

3) Original CD cover is scanned into a cover.jpg file which is placed in the same folder with the flac files.

4) Squeezebox Server runs a rescan to find and catalog the newly ripped CDs.

5) Music is listened to on one of  the many stereos located in my house via one of several Squeezebox devices.

When listening to music on the stereo located in the same room with my computer I use the "Moose" front end to display and select music. I also use foobar to audition some music before adding it to the Squeezebox Server music library.

Needless to say I voted for "other".

Forgot to add that Moose can also be used to create playlists but I rarely make or use playlists since I'm kind of old school and just listen to "albums".

Nov 17, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #39 of 70
Ah, it's true.  The only difference being that all people, programs and scripts have access to the same file system..

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #40 of 70
I use Ubuntu 10.10 on my home laptop and take the easy way out - Rhythmbox, playing out FLAC files.

On those rare occasions I boot into Windows, I use Foobar.

s.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #42 of 70
For media player, I voted Foobar.  Does everything right for my applications.

Ripping- EAC (flac)(image & cues), Splitting tracks (cues)- Medieval Cue Splitter, Sorting everything out and keeping an image & wav cue for easy CD burning- CueTools.  Everything is stored on a NAS and I can rock anywhere in the house.

Just in case- Why don't you make wav cues with EAC....?  I like Nero (8) and the non-compliant wavs do not play nice with it.  I use ImgBurn as well, but just like everything to be compatible.

Good times..

beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #43 of 70
Music stored on hard drive and shared via NFS to other PC's / Laptops.Players I use are Amarok and MythMusic at the moment.If I rip a cd it's to flac w/EAC thru wine or Rubyripper. All my mp3's are from Amazon.

I've used MPD in the past, I don't think I've seen anyone mention that in this thread which can be used from command line or thru a GUI.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #44 of 70

Quote:
Quote:
I use ... Rhythmbox, playing out FLAC files.

Awesome, I was hoping people would start chiming in with the more obscure programs.

In terms of the big picture, I suppose it is, but I know that wizards are much more likely to use the more demanding and difficult and obscure MPD.

I ended up with R'box because it was the path of least resistance, which is contrary to the life serious Linux folks lead. I needed an OS for my six year old Dell laptop that would run better than XP does at this point and picked Ubuntu because, well, because it's *popular,* which I figured meant it would have more people beating out the bugs and more people to save me when I screw up.

R'box is included with Ubuntu. Here's the thing about Ubuntu - and I've written the same words in another post recently - it is so good now that you no longer need to struggle with Linux. That's a loss to the pure at heart, but good for ordinary humans. It's the first Linux you can use thoughtlessly.

I regret not having dbpoweramp suite and EAC at my beck n' call, but otherwise don't miss Windows for audio purposes.

s.

Nov 18, 2010 at 8:54 AM Post #45 of 70
With packets management, it's very easy to install/uninstall softwares properly, in Gnome I would tell people to try Rythmbox, Exaile, Quodlibet, Guyadeque or Deadbeef, Easytag as tag editor and Rubyripper or Asunder for ripping CDs, I think it's a good start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back