Poll: Were the moon landings fake?
Jul 16, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #196 of 468
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the folks believing it was faked: What piece of evidence would make you change your mind and accept that men walked on the Moon in 1969?

An official statement from the moon with a confirmation of their stay there.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #197 of 468
Quote:

To the folks believing it was faked: What piece of evidence would make you change your mind and accept that men walked on the Moon in 1969?

I don't believe that there is such a piece of evidence.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #198 of 468
I'd be interested to know what you believers think about the poll? The OP started the thread because of the NYT article which broadly said: "polling consistently suggests that some 6 percent of Americans believe the landings were faked and could not have happened." Phil plait also addresses this here Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy: Bad TV - after the Fox TV and the Apollo Moon Hoax program claimed 20% believed they were fake. "That number is a bit misleading. A 1999 Gallup poll showed it was more like 6%, a number which agrees with a poll taken in 1995 by Time/CNN."

So we have Phil Plait and the media in general saying 6% of people believe it was faked, this small percent makes you believe there are a few crazy people among us. While in truth polls taken publicly, like this one here on head-fi which undoubtedly says 20%, just like the open poll on about.com which shows 19% believe it was faked, 1% are unsure. Urban Legends Poll Results

This shows the media lies and the Hoax program at least got one thing right doesn't it? What else could be true in the hoax program? what else could the media be lying about?

Quote:

Well it would be somewhat afirming if those who walked on the moon would swear so on the Holy Bible. They were even offered $5,000 to any charity and yet they wouldn't do it...

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #199 of 468
And the lunar laser ranging retroreflector array left by Apollo 11 means nothing?

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #200 of 468
Graphicism, this is an informal, international poll. The NYT polled Americans only. That makes the two statistically incomparable.

You're still 6% crazy. Sorry to be the one to have to tell you.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #201 of 468
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just saw this in the Science Channel the other day. I had forgotten that Apollo 11 had left them, I thought it was a later mission. Excellent point.

The were no other US missions to the surface of the Moon. To explain the mirrors we'd have to introduce another cover-up, where a robot (presumably) was launched in secrecy to put the mirrors in place.

USSR had a few unmanned landers on the moon, they were actually the first to properly land on the Moon in 1966. So, as an alternative explanation for the mirrors we can also assume that US and USSR during the cold war worked together on this hoax (you see, they had nothing else to do). They could of course also just not include the stupid mirrors in the hoax thus saving the enormous trouble, but hey, it's got to be a convincing story.

After all this tremendous effort in faking the most spectacular things, it boggles ones mind that they forgot to add stars on the pictures - an error even the most illiterate an uneducated fool would immediately spot.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #202 of 468
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well it would be somewhat afirming if those who walked on the moon would swear so on the Holy Bible.

Erm, OK. I see. I understand completely.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #203 of 468
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graphicism, this is an informal, international poll. The NYT polled Americans only. That makes the two statistically incomparable.

Deleted. Sorry, that was uncalled for, need to connect brain before applying fingers to keyboard.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #204 of 468
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the lunar laser ranging retroreflector array left by Apollo 11 means nothing?

This shows me you haven't thought about it; Is it completely unfathomable to think of an unmanned spacecraft?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like an excuse to me. Yes I suppose I am crazy, I also don't believe in psychics or ghosts.. I am a strange individual indeed..

Quote:

After all this tremendous effort in faking the most spectacular things, it boggles ones mind that they forgot to add stars on the pictures - an error even then most illiterate an uneducated fool would immediately spot.

Oh boy, someone else that hasn't really thought about it. It boggles your mind? Think again, why wouldn't they include stars?

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #205 of 468
Quote:

Well it would be somewhat afirming if those who walked on the moon would swear so on the Holy Bible. They were even offered $5,000 to any charity and yet they wouldn't do it...

This comment paired with some of your other posts is truly ironic.

Quote:

Sounds like an excuse to me.

You said in another thread that you're "wicked good at math", so I hope you're joking.

EDIT: Too harsh.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #206 of 468
Quote:

Oh boy, someone else that hasn't really thought about it. It boggles your mind? Think again, why wouldn't they include stars?

Actually, I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't. Please enlighten me.

And yes, I admit that I haven't thought about the Apollo program that much.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #207 of 468
Quote:

Sounds like an excuse to me. Yes I suppose I am crazy, I also don't believe in physics or ghosts.. I am a strange individual indeed..

Tell me you have a misspelling there. You don't believe in physics?

Also, I edited my post above.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #208 of 468
Someone said it earlier, you can't logic reason with an unreasonable person. Ignorance can be solved with education, but only if the ignorant person is willing to be taught. Ignorance is a temporary state - unless the ignorant choose to remain ignorant. Hoax believers can never be dissuaded, because they will never accept anything as evidence that is contrary to their belief. They are unable to understand the science and are therefore unable to understand the arguments against their beliefs. Although they claim science is close-minded, in fact, they are the ones unwilling to accept science that is understood by others but not by them, and they are unwilling to gain the knowledge required to gain the understanding.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #209 of 468
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me you have a misspelling there. You don't believe in physics?

Also, I edited my post above.

Haha yes I don't believe in physics or chemistry! It was a typo, thanks for pointing that out, psychics is what I meant to say. Also no need to apologize, I know how these debates get, at the end of the day we're all still friends here... just a few crazies amongst us...

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone said it earlier, you can't logic reason with an unreasonable person. Ignorance can be solved with education, but only if the ignorant person is willing to be taught. Ignorance is a temporary state - unless the ignorant choose to remain ignorant. Hoax believers can never be dissuaded, because they will never accept anything as evidence that is contrary to their belief. They are unable to understand the science and are therefore unable to understand the arguments against their beliefs. Although they claim science is close-minded, in fact, they are the ones unwilling to accept science that is understood by others but not by them, and they are unwilling to gain the knowledge required to gain the understanding.

The exact same can be said for those who believe what they hear on the TV. Just because you believe as the masses do doesn't make you right, no more so than a sheep following another sheep.

Jul 16, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #210 of 468
Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That sounds very religious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back