POLL! T1 vs HD800 - $700 and $1,400
Nov 9, 2015 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

onmywayaudio

New Head-Fier
As the title says, the T1, flagship of Beyerdynamic, is going for $719 on Amazon, down from a supposed $1,399. 

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-T1-Audiophile-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B0031RD3YY/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1447080291&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=beyer+t1

Meanwhile, the "equivalent" Senns are still at $1,389.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Over-Ear-Circum-Aural-Dynamic-Headphone/dp/B001OTZ8DA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1447080329&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=senn+800

So, which would you buy, considering you had a $400 amp

and a budget of, lets say, $1,200.

Would you go for the T1 and save $500 for other amps or anything else, or stretch budget for the HD800?

Is there really a difference in quality to merit the $700 dollars in difference?!

Nov 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #5 of 19
I would argue the DT880 and HD650 are the best headphones currently being produced by both companies. Contrary to popular belief here, you don't need to spend more money to get "better" sound.

Between the two, I'd probably choose HD650.

Nov 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 19
I would argue the DT880 and HD650 are the best headphones currently being produced by both companies. Contrary to popular belief here, you don't need to spend more money to get "better" sound.

Interesting, but, what would you say dt880 vs the 990s?

Nov 10, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 19

Best? If you mean best as in bang for buck I could understand. From a technical point of view there's no comparing these two to the companies flagships imo.

@onmywayaudio I can only second the T1 + Crack combo that I started enjoying recently. My experience with the HD800 is not extensive so can't say much for it.
I'd also recommend going for a used headphone from the classifieds no matter the choice you make. Unless you must have warranty.

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #9 of 19
Best? If you mean best as in bang for buck I could understand. From a technical point of view there's no comparing these two to the companies flagships imo.

@onmywayaudio
 I can only second the T1 + Crack combo that I started enjoying recently. My experience with the HD800 is not extensive so can't say much for it.
I'd also recommend going for a used headphone from the classifieds no matter the choice you make. Unless you must have warranty.

I honestly thought the other guy was talking about drugs. I mean, speed ball? Crack? XD

I went to Bottleneck's site and they have 2 crack amps, the otl one and another that says crack a two?

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 19
Lol yeah, Crack owners are all on drugs once the music's playing 
tongue_smile.gif

Crack-a-two-a (!) is the their new and likely enhanced drug. We're talking this one. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #11 of 19
Lol yeah, Crack owners are all on drugs once the music's playing :tongue_smile:  

Crack-a-two-a (!) is the their new and likely enhanced drug. We're talking this one. 

Sweet! I read that you can buy it already built or buy the kit.

I built my computer but, how difficult are these amp kits? Sounds kind of cool!

P. S. I'm guessing its better than the LD MK 2?

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #12 of 19

@onmywayaudio I can only second the T1 + Crack combo that I started enjoying recently. My experience with the HD800 is not extensive so can't say much for it.

Well, from a technical standpoint, both flagships have problems compared to their predecessors.  The HD800 exhibits a broad resonance at 6khz, and a corresponding peak at 6khz, that a lot of people don't like.  The 600/650 are smoother throughout the frequency response.  The T1 is even worse than the HD800 in regards to treble nastiness.  It exhibits severe ringing 7khz and above, with very elevated treble response around 10khz.  The DT880 in comparison still has a peak in 10k, but overall its treble is much more tame and controlled with less ringing.

So I can see a lot of people preferring the predecessors. 

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #13 of 19
^^ I'm guessing too but really don't know. Never heard any LD.

Many Crack builders are first timers. The Bottlehead website has a forum and ofcourse HF its own thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/476650/crack-bottlehead-otl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back