Poll: Sony MDR-V6 vs. Koss KSC-35
Dec 7, 2001 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 13
Unless the music has very deep bass, I prefer the KSC-35s. They sound, well, more "musical." When the cost is factored in, they really sound "musical!" To be honest, though, I don't listen very much to either one.

Dec 7, 2001 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 13
KSC 35!!!

Dec 7, 2001 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 13
I think the 35's are great for portable listening, but since most of my listening is done in a stationary position, I like the V6's more, because of their deeper bass response and better isolation.

My vote: V6's for most music.

Dec 7, 2001 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 13
wow russ
it's neck and neck!
smily_headphones1.gif

btw--- oooh v6 and beyer

I did a 4 hour set drum and bass
with some beat juggling sets
inbetween

and I felt good

damn I hate sloppy ears

feels like my ears had wet farts

Dec 7, 2001 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 13
I usually prefer V6s over the 35s, because I really enjoy the extra clarity.

Dec 7, 2001 at 7:39 AM Post #7 of 13
It's a pretty tough decision - there are so many factors to consider:

Portability:
KSC-35 (or KSC-50s which is what I have), but I wouldn't hesitate using the 7506s if I anticipated noisy environments. The 7506s fold down and don't look outrageously huge on your head.

Extended Comfort:
7506s, but then again I am yet to mod my KSC-50s which dig into my ears a little. The 7506s do get warm after a while and the KSC-50s feel so light which is nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Isolation:
7506s, no contest there, but then again, there aren't that many times when I require isolation!

Bass reproduction:
7506s, but the KSC-50s do handle bass admirably.

Clarity:
7506s, but once again, I don't vommit if I put the KSC-50s on immediately after the 7506s
tongue.gif

Musicality:
Probably the KSC-50s. Side by side, I find the KSC-50s bring out the analytical nature of the 7506s - not that I find it unpleasant, just that the KSC-50s are a little more 'fun'.

I've probably missed a few variables, but like all headphone debates, there is no right or wrong answer - just what works best for your particular application at that particular point in time!
cool.gif

Dec 7, 2001 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 13
Oh my goodness - I never thought I'd make it, but here I am!!! 100 posts...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2001 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 13
I own both. I find myself using the V6/7506 mainly in two situations: when I need isolation, and when I need to hear every last detail and fatigue isn't a problem. Unfortunately for the V6/7506, much of the "isolation" time has been taken over by Etys
wink.gif
So my V6 don't get as much amp time as they used to.

Don't get me wrong, the V6/7506 are great headphones, and for someone looking for a good sub-$100 headphone, they're one of those "can't go wrong" choices. But given my collection of cans, for every good thing the V6 does, I have another headphone that does it better.

As for the poll, I prefer the KSC-35 most of the time simply because they are more enjoyable to listen to. They are much more comfortable and much lighter -- I often forget I have them on. In addition, whereas the V6/7506 can sometimes be analytical, the KSC-35 are just musical. The bass isn't as extended (although better than many other headphones), and the detail isn't quite as sharp, but they always sound good.

In fact, that's one area where the KSC-35 beat the V6/7506. There are times where the Sony just don't sound that good with a particular piece. Maybe they bring out too much of the problems in a recording, or maybe the recording just brings out the faults of the V6. But I don't think I've ever listened to something that didn't work well with the KSC-35. Maybe a few pieces with overdone midrange would sound better on the V6.

And here's something that's sure to be controversial
wink.gif
Out of my Max, I almost always prefer the KSC-35
very_evil_smiley.gif
A few people have mentioned how, unlike many cheap headphones, the KSC-35 really do sound better with better sources and power. Well, let me tell you... when you run the KSC-35 off a Max 2001, they suddenly get amazingly better detail, and significantly tighter and deeper bass. Just for kicks, I've been listening to them all night on my Max, and, frankly, it's amazing how good they sound. I've been listening to "Time Out" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet and loving it. The biggest difference is in the midrange: the KSC-35 are a bit warmer, while the V6 are a bit recessed. So they end up having very different sounds; I prefer the KSC-35's take.

(I think this wins the award for biggest amp-to-headphone cost ratio -- about 60:1
evil_smiley.gif
)

Dec 7, 2001 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

macdef...what do you mean by ksc-35 are "warmer"? is it a good thing?

It's really a matter of taste. I find the midrange on the V6/7506 to be a bit recessed/distant. This has the effect of making them sound a little analytical or cold. The midrange on the KSC-35 is a bit more forward, so they sound more "musical" or "warm" to me. Granted, it's easy for headphones to be too forward or warm, but the KSC-35 get it just about right for me.

Again, I feel I should reiterate that the V6 are great headphones. I'm just discussing my feelings when comparing the two directly.

Dec 7, 2001 at 6:18 PM Post #12 of 13
I also believe that the midrange is the weakest point of the 7506. To me though, the midrange sounds a bit too harsh, and in the same time muddy. What I mean is that if there is a song with let's say 5 trumpets playing in the same time, the 7506 will sound as if there is a single trumpet, and a bad one.
On the other hand my Porta Pros don't have much midrange to speak of (yeah, I know, the KSC-35 sound different but i haven't tried those yet).

Dec 7, 2001 at 6:21 PM Post #13 of 13
i dont own the v6 or koss ksc-35.......... but i have the koss porta-pro but i audtion for the koss ksc-35 and koss ksc-50. IMO koss porta-pro sounds fuller and richer than the koss ksc-35.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back