Poll: Kids, toys and guns...
Feb 28, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #61 of 75
as i unabashadely posted political statements here, sorry to you all as it certainly is not bound to happen at all in such a thread. in fact, such a poll with options that include 'responsible parent' etc do not even in an indefinate way point to politically biased opinions.

further, i repent of all blanket statements that previously were not drawn out prior to me even typing. in fact, a few sort of stats, never being stated prior to my post or later, in no way relfect the sort of self-control nor etiquette that our op has shown.

i shall now go buy a gun and save it for my child.

Feb 28, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #62 of 75
My girlfriend's son is not allowed to play with toy guns at all. He is not even allowed to pretend he has a gun in his hand.

The teachers at his school apply the same rules to all the kids as well.

I completely agree with this parenting. Kids should not be playing with objects whose only use is to cause death. Better to let their minds grow in other directions.

DISCLAIMER
:
I am completely aware that many people disagree with me. I am only answering the question with my own opinion.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #63 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, but anyone who doesn't understand that boys are more inherently violent than girls and therefore would be more attracted to violent video games has spent too much time in a research lab.

Says the man in Texas
tongue.gif

I'm sorry, but thinking ANYONE is inherently violent is woefully incorrect.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #64 of 75
People can have a greater inherent tendency towards violence, though.

Feb 28, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #65 of 75
Wow. It's amazing how people compare today's situation and environment to 8 or even 50+ years old...

rolleyes.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #66 of 75
guns were my favorite toys growing up...people kept giving me dolls for my birthdays though (i'm a girl) and my parents would take me to the store to trade them in for guns....though not all of them because barbies make great targets
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #67 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i shall now go buy a gun and save it for my child.

Your sarcasm is duly noted.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
Says the man in Texas
tongue.gif

I'm sorry, but thinking ANYONE is inherently violent is woefully incorrect.

Up for debate.

I believe that humanity is inherently violent, much like the rest of our cousin species. The difference between us and them is self-restraint and socialization.

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #68 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Up for debate.

I believe that humanity is inherently violent, much like the rest of our cousin species. The difference between us and them is self-restraint and socialization.

As far as I've learned from Confucious and Buddhism, human are born "Pure". We've become who we are because of what we've learned and how we react to our environment.

If you have a chance to see the movie "Twins" (1988, starring: CA governor and Danny Devito), you'd see the analogy.

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #69 of 75
Although I don't personally feel that having a hand gun in the home is the right thing for my family, I do feel that it is OK for my kid to have a toy gun, and be able to shoot a real gun (rifle to start) in a controlled environment like a gun range. I learned to shoot a rifle with my dad when I was in the scouts, and he was entirely against having a gun in the home. He was in the military before, so he knew how to shoot many types of guns.

Education and training is the most important thing. Because boys will be boys, and they love toys. And if you are not careful, they will see all guns as just toys.

But I'm having a baby girl in april, so it'll probably be all about Barbie and clothes. LOL.

-Ed

Feb 28, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #70 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I'm having a baby girl in april, so it'll probably be all about Barbie and clothes. LOL.

-Ed

Ed, you guys are getting close! I was wondering if you knew your baby's sex yet. Congrats on having a baby girl but don't be too sure about the Barbies, I didn't really play with dolls that much, I was more into boy's stuff even though I'm a girlie-girl.
Also look at turtlee's post, she traded her dolls for guns...
icon10.gif

thec972a77.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guns were my favorite toys growing up...people kept giving me dolls for my birthdays though (i'm a girl) and my parents would take me to the store to trade them in for guns....though not all of them because barbies make great targets
icon10.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #72 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by iGig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed, you guys are getting close! I was wondering if you knew your baby's sex yet. Congrats on having a baby girl but don't be too sure about the Barbies, I didn't really play with dolls that much, I was more into boy's stuff even though I'm a girlie-girl.
Also look at turtlee's post, she traded her dolls for guns...
icon10.gif

thec972a77.gif

I'm most definitely going to buy her a mountain of Legos. They were my favorite toy growing up, above and beyond any gun, real or toy.

She'll definitely get one of my Tablet PC's when she's old enough, and I'll teach her Photoshop, etc.

-Ed

Mar 1, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #73 of 75
legos are definitely a must for all children....if you're not allowed a certain toy you can just build it! and now they have those bionicle and robot ones so you don't even have to pretend they move cos they actually do!

and congrats Ed !!

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #74 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have airsoft (Tokyo Marui P90 and a KSC Glock 19 w/ metal slide) and my brother has an ICS MP5A4. It's fun stuff, and we're both over 18 and responsible, so there's no problem here. Not to mention it's great fun! Nothing like running and hunting each other down in the Wisconsin wilderness. Airsoft is my second hobby to headphoning (amongst other hobbies of course), but I don't think they should be in the hands of anyone under 18. They're realistic, and could indeed shoot your eye out, so 18 and mature is a must.
Good times with my brother though, hehe. Nothing like getting shot by 20 bbs per second in the chest.
biggrin.gif

Real guns though? Nah, I don't have a need for one.

~Tom

I got into airsoft when I was under 18. A lot of vendors would not sell to minors but I found ways around it, had a GBB and an AEG. I met kids as young as 14 that also had airsoft guns. Point being that if kids wanted to get their hands on this stuff they could do it easily. For those who aren't familiar with airsoft, they are about as close as you can get to real firearms. They are exact replicas with working parts, that function exactly like real guns. (working magazines, safety, recoil, action, etc)

Some people will never understand the rationality behind owning a gun, or why they exist. One of the most thrilling things to me about airsoft was hunting human targets. Incredibly challenging and such an adrenaline rush. The urge to hunt should not be confused with the urge to kill or to commit violent acts. It is a sport, and I have never fired a shot with the intention of harming someone, or the thought of murder and death running through my head.

A gun's sole purpose is not to kill another person. The majority of gun owners out there use their firearms for sport, target shooting, competition, etc. Guns are only a weapon if you make them one. To me target shooting is no different from painting or sculpting. I think everyone should visit a range at least once, to break the stereotypes of guns they seen on tv or in movies. I can't stand that stupid dual pistol held sideways gansta image that everyone seems to relate to these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back