Poll: Kids, toys and guns...
Feb 27, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #31 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough. My personal experience has been that one way or another, your kids will learn about guns. Better to be the teacher than to let the movie/game industry do the teaching for you.

Ahem.

In 10th grade, say, 8 or so years ago, I was given a fairly realistic Colt SAA cap gun during a class gift exchange with the explicit approval of the teacher. Hell, a few other classmates and I even posed for some pictures with the gun clearly visible and pointing at other people. (Rule #3 was followed at all times.)

The pictures were left up on her bulletin board for the rest of the semester. I left the cap gun in the classroom's closet for the rest of the semester, and it was occasionally brought back to class for skits and the like.

No one died. No one was injured. No one even pissed their pants. This was an appropriate reaction to a toy gun. A 90 day suspension is not.

Doubt it. KNEX and Legos can be used to make decent rubber band guns. Trigger, sears, and all.

"8 or so years ago". Ahhh... Think about it. Maybe it's because you're in TX (
tongue.gif
)? Things are different now (after 9/11) and they may be different in different states, but thats my perspective. If you were caught around here with one of those in the "school bus", you would hae cops called on you and suspended from school without a doubt. You're not only endangering yourself (could be mistaken as a real gun), but you're endangering other people around you when you have any type of "guns". And about the "school bus" situation. He either had intentions of bringing it to school or he already HAD it in school and was bringing it home but along the way he got busted.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #32 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It wasn't until the irrational panic caused by the spate of school shootings around 2000 that lead to the current draconian repercussions.

That's why it's pretty dumb to bring a realistic-looking toy to school nowadays.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #33 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why it's pretty dumb to bring a realistic-looking toy to school nowadays.

Yes, another good point. Bringing a "gun" (doesn't matter what kind) to school is no different then bringing a similar "gun" to an airport.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #34 of 75
I feel guns of any sort are alright for a kid, as long as the kid is educated about how/when to use them. In the 50s and 60s, it was common for REAL guns to be traded at SCHOOL. Did you ever hear of anybody getting shot at school? Didn't think so. It's all about education and discipline, two things that lack in the world of today.

Feb 27, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #35 of 75
my uncle started me on a small pellet rifle. i remember i was around 8 or so and wasn't strong enough to pump the gun. let alone 7 times to fire off a pellet.

that kept me satisfied because it was a real gun. my uncle, sister, and i still treat it like a deadly firearm. as we grew up, my sister and i were allowed to use the .22 pistol and rifle. and two years ago, my uncle introduced us to some real rifles for hunting.
its great bonding, even if you don' shoot anything or even have a gun.

so i think what my uncles did was right; start off slow

edit: i just realized my new profile picture was made while i was using the .22 rifle and pistol. really fun guns
edit 2: i never played with toy guns as a lad...i was into dinosaurs and legos

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #36 of 75
Toy guns so far have been OK with my son. Hes into Buzz lightyear and super-soakers in the summer. Stuff like that, so its not like Marui airsoft or anything remotely realistic looking. Even at that age and with those toys, its about educating him how NOT to point guns at people and his sister. I have to admit though in the summer its a blast shooting soakers at each other. The only gun he is allowed to point at me is his super soaker, and even then we shoot at each others butts... not up at our faces.

So far he does not show any violent tendencies with his guns. In that I mean he does not point his soakers at people with the intention to kill them. He hasn't made that connection yet as a 4 year old.

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a world of difference between 'play fighting' and giving out guns as a play toy.

Agreed, but what are we defining as a toy gun here? Is a super soaker a toy gun? Is a cap gun? Is a gun that shoots bubbles, sparks, or foam darts? These were all toys I was allowed to play with as a child.

Quote:

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was brought up around firearms and was taught as a child that there was no such thing as a toy GUN. As an owner of firearms and as a parent I have taught my Son age 7 that same lesson, there are no toy guns! Unfortunately as a young adolescent I didn't listen to my parents so well till I killed something I didn't intend to and that day changed my life. That's a story for another day.

I was not brought up around firearms, but pursued them at my own interest after I was 18. I still treated them with uttmost respect and follow all the rules. You're right in that there are no toy firearms. Airsoft, pellet guns, paintball guns, these should all be given the same respect as real firearms. Its sickening to hear stories about punks doing driveby shootings with paintball guns and airsoft guns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Toy guns so far have been OK with my son. Hes into Buzz lightyear and super-soakers in the summer. Stuff like that, so its not like Marui airsoft or anything remotely realistic looking. Even at that age and with those toys, its about educating him how NOT to point guns at people and his sister. I have to admit though in the summer its a blast shooting soakers at each other. The only gun he is allowed to point at me is his super soaker, and even then we shoot at each others butts... not up at our faces.

So far he does not show any violent tendencies with his guns. In that I mean he does not point his soakers at people with the intention to kill them. He hasn't made that connection yet as a 4 year old.

Young children should be taught to treat certain items, not only toy guns, with care. Stuff like knives, scissors, glassware, heavy objects, etc. Some things can be played with and some can't.

Feb 27, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #38 of 75
for goodness sakes, let them be kids.

toy guns are totally safe. they don't encourage kids to grow up and want to shoot people. It's like the whole video game violence causes kids to become violent argument.. it's just not true!

what kid hasn't played cops and robbers, or indians and cowboys?? it doesn't mean that when they grow up they'll want to shoot random indians for the heck of it.

infact i think the more you ban/disallow a kid to play with toy gun when their young makes them even more wanting to acquire/handle a real gun when they get older. kinda like the whole if you tell them it's bad (drugs for instance) they'll be more curious to try it to see why it's so bad in the first place.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #39 of 75
I was brought up with toy guns and BB guns. I love archery, playing paintball, throwing darts, going to the range, and all of my friends own guns. But, I have never owned a pistol or rifle and I don't like hunting. The activity of aiming and shooting and hitting a target is very rewarding to me as long as the target isn't living (except for paintball....I gave my buddy a welt that lasted over a year...
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #41 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukpoki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like the whole video game violence causes kids to become violent argument.. it's just not true!

Except it is.
http://www.apa.org/releases/videogames.html

Guns or no guns, Im not a fanatic about it, I just lean against it and would not buy toy guns for my kid (squirt variety is ok.) Cowboys and indians? I definitely draw the line at reenacting the slaughter of indigenous peoples. And before you ask, I wont let them play Nazis and Jews either.

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #42 of 75
Wow. What similiar experiences we share marvin. I too was a 2nd class Boy Scout and I qualified Expert Rifleman in 1 week with a Remington .22LR (iron sights only). That was one of the most defining experiences in my life and I intend to apply for a long gun and handgun license in the State of New Jersey later this year or early next year depending on other factors. I plan on joining the National Rifle Association and working my way up Olypmic air rifle, small bore, and high power rifle competitions and the Palma. It's fun, clean, safe, and quite frankly, it focuses your mindset on intense concentration. So many people talk about making their goals in life a target that can be hit. This is the real thing for me. Great thread!

I voted no problem with kids and real guns under very close 24/7 adult supervision & safety training classes twice a year!

Feb 27, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #43 of 75
I voted #2. I don't have a problem with it, especially with supervision. I will say that the Missus will have a say in it as well when I get to that point in life.

Now to take the thread into another direction...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
...I've been jumped before and will probably be attacked again.

Problem #1... you're already setting yourself up.

You need to have a clear mindset. If you say "well... it's gonna happen again" then it willhappen again. You need to keep a positive attitude... especially if you're considering buying one. Don't invite disaster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
...The gun will mostly be a deterrent. Mostly.

Problem #2... you cannot use it as a deterrent.

Most likely it will be turned against you. If you've reached the point that it's coming out of the holster then all bets are off and someone's going to take an eternal dirt nap. That's the attitude you're going to have to have. The great Bill Jordan wrote a book about gunfights he had been in as an Officer. It's called No Second Place Winner. You've got to be ready to kill if it's coming out. You're not going to wound, not hold at bay... you're going to kill. If you're not able to do this then don't even bother with a conceal-carry permit.

My own personal collection...

My first Ruger...
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emp5k/pics/rgr.jpg

9MM Taurus. Had a lot of use!
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emp5k/pics/9m.jpg

Heckler & Koch USP-40. Got it when they first came out
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emp5k/pics/hk.jpg

Taurus 94 .22
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emp5k/pics/22t.jpg

Smith & Wesson 586 .357
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emp5k/pics/586.jpg

Model 27 Smith & Wesson .357 8 3/8 inch barrel
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emp5k/pics/27.jpg

Group shot of Revolvers
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emp5k/pics/group.jpg

Whole family
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emp5k/pics/family.jpg

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #44 of 75
im no parent, but we have had such trouble with guns lately, that any encouragement of shooting a person even fake is not good. as well, i do not believe that saying a boy will be a boy is accurate here as what has a boy got to do with guns? i guess if you are a mafia and you grow up with guns there is no other way, but to say boys will be boys is condemning your son or culture to a violent end.

i was a boy and never had access or desire in guns and thus boys will be boys for me had to do with football, badminton and cheering the always losing swedish team. that is a mistaken train of thought sure.

that said, i imagine that many of the votes for 2 come from countries that like guns or do not care that people carry them. i lived in the states for a while and it freaked me out how many people always died on them in unrelated instances. the only countries i can think of think of that have no qualms with guns have huge instances of deaths by guns.

if you read the stats of how many shooting deaths have been in usa or other countries wrought with civil violence, you will be surprised and perhaps rethink the whole gun thing. at least i would hope. it is no longer your rebellion from britain, time to put them down.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #45 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<personal views followed by political response>

Please keep your politics out of this thread. Your views are appreciated, but according to the rules of this board, politics are off limits. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
Problem #1... you're already setting yourself up.

You need to have a clear mindset. If you say "well... it's gonna happen again" then it willhappen again. You need to keep a positive attitude... especially if you're considering buying one. Don't invite disaster.

Bingo.

Simple tricks like staying out of bad areas, avoiding groups/individuals that are likely to jump you, projecting confidence and wariness, etc. all have a way of drastically reducing the odds that you'll get jumped. The key is to avoid being the most vulnerable person in the area.

If someone is looking for you specifically though, that's what the cops are for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back