Poll: HD30GB9 vs. iMod vs. 5G iPod
Dec 21, 2006 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dregur

100+ Head-Fier
This pretty much lines up with how expensive it's going to be to buy those three items. But I really can't decide which one to get in the long haul.

The HD30GB9 sound great, and it has drag and drop capability from what I understand, and it's probably the most portable of the three because of the lack of need for an amp. However, the cost is 500 bucks, which makes it the most expensive out of the three, and it might not even sound the best.

iMod, everyone's sound champ from what I've read. I'm tempted to get one, but two problems. 1) I only own a PA2V2 and a LDM+ with a SuperMicro IV coming who knows when. 2) If a better amp is needed to truly get great sound with the iMod, then it becomes the most expensive option by far.

The 5th gen Ipod (Refurbished mind you) is the cheapest option by far. $229 for the 60GB version, and 60 bucks for the Copper Dock from ALO, and I'm pretty much good to go (maybe a BSE shield too).

What do you guys think?

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #2 of 6
I bought an iMod and a Go-Vibe and they sound great together. I plan to upgrade the Amp at some point but, as far as I can tell, it isn't lacking. I think your LDM+ and PA2V2 would be quite enjoyable.

But more importantly, a lot of people here think that the super-micro is the best sounding portable amp period. So you would hardly be getting a sub-par amp to go with your iMod. You would be going with what is arguably the best.

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:31 PM Post #3 of 6
I know that...it's just I won't be getting it until sometime late Q1 of 2007, so I'm "stuck" with the LDM+ or PA2V2 to amp the iMod until who knows when.

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Just thought of something else when I was reading an iMod thread.

Most of my music is encoded @ 192kbps MP3's...would it still be worth it to do the iMod?

Thanks,

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 6
I think I might wait until CES to see my options...also gives me time to see exactly what I got in my new messenger bag, and see if everything can fit in the accessories case...

-The Grinman :d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back