Poll: Fried Chicken or Steak?
Feb 25, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #64 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukpoki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really see a solution except to buy a grill. But that's pretty expensive (however a good investment) so alternatively you could get something smaller/cheaper like the george foreman grilling machine.

I actually have one George Foreman griller on order from Target. Still waiting after like 2 months.
frown.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #67 of 69
Steak. Specifically, "Steak Au Poivre" from The Prime Rib in Baltimore.

Feb 26, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #68 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually have one George Foreman griller on order from Target. Still waiting after like 2 months.
frown.gif

DON'T use a George Foreman grill on a good cut of steak
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I'm in an apartment so can't have a gas grill. Occasionally I'll break out a small charcoal grill I've got, but for steaks, I like stovetop pan searing anyway. For me, it would be a bit easier since my stove is gas (so I can get my pans to be hot, but not very lite-medium
rolleyes.gif
).

This is the way to do a good medium-rare filet....assuming it's a 2" thick cut:

pour 2 tablespoons of oil (olive or vegetable) on your frying pan. Crank up your top all the way to high. Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees. When the oil starts smoking, you know the pan is hot enough. Apply the steak with tongs and do not move it!!! It has to get a crust. Leave it undisturbed for 2 and a half minutes. Flip over and let it sit 2 and a half minutes. After that (5 minutes total), take the pan off the stove and place in pre-heated oven. Now depending on how rare you want, leave in for 3-5 minutes depending on how red you want. Take out and let stand for 5 minutes (chefs call this resting: gives the meat time to get those good juices to settle).

I like to make a great filet every once in awhile....makes for a better special occasion
cool.gif
Fried chicken is certainly not special occasion food!

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #69 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talking about steak, do you have any tips for cooking steak properly using limited equipment?

I am using electric stove top, and the heat is way not as hot as gas stove, and I only got some regular frying pan. Most steaks I cooked either turned up ugly or so so, regardless the meat.

Agreed with the searing method that Davesrose have posted above. Normally I only grill my steaks over a charcoal or gas grill. However, there are instances where I may not have the time or where the weather may not permit me to use my outdoor grills. I this case I pan sear and oven roast my steak over my electric range. First I get my cast iron skillet and preheat it in my oven at 500 degrees. A oven safe frying pan will also work but you won't need to preheat it. If using a oven safe pan, just put it on your range set to high and coat it with oil.

Once my cast iron skillet is hot, I bring it out of the oven and put in on my range set to high heatl. At this time I make sure that my steak (1" to 1 1/2" thick) are at room temperature. I lightly coat my steak with oil (no need to coat steak with oil if using a oven safe pan as you would have alredy coated the pan with oil while preheating it on your range), season them on both sides with salt and pepper to taste.

Then I place the seasoned steak in the hot frying pan and sear it for 2 to 2 and half minutes on both sides until browned. Next I take the frying pan with the steaks and put it in my heated oven for 4 to 5 minutes for medium rare finish. If you want a medium finish, add about another minute of oven time. For a rare finish, less than 4 minutes of oven time. Time will also differ with the thickness of your steak. A little less time for steaks under an 1", more for steaks thicker than 1 1/2".

Once oven roasting is done, I immediately remove the steak from the frying pan, cover it loosely in foil and let it rest for about 2 minutes. Once resting is done, steak is ready to be served.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back