poll: foam mod on re0?
Dec 7, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 13
Love the 4th option: "If I found foam on my re0 I'd see a doctor". Classic!
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #6 of 13
1 vote for no. I tried it. It can be useful but it requires more EQing. You really need to cut down the treble end a lot if you do this mod. Keeping the foam in, you'll just bump up the treble just a little bit. Keeping it in is just the lesser of two evils so to speak. There's just less EQing need keeping it in.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #7 of 13
I'm a bit of a newbie, and my ears couldn't discern much difference.. but I used a set of the filters they send you since I couldn't remove it without ripping it..

Don't feel like using another 2 filters to try to 'remember' what foam in sounded like.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 13
Another vote for no. Tried it but the last thing the RE0 needs to my ears is a jump in treble quantity. On the upside, it is completely reversible.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 13
tried it, and like it..

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 13
For me...

Without the foams, there's a slight jump in volume, much less bass, more mids, more treble, better separation/clarity on mids/treble, much less definition and body to the bass.

I voted on leaving the foams in since taking them off significantly alters the sound signature and the sound is less "smooth" sounding without it. There seems to be an upwards shift in frequency (not sure if this makes sense) of the sound.

One thing I did notice though is the way in which the foams were inserted and I was wondering if that makes a difference...(ie. how far in should it be inserted, how compact the foam should be, etc). I noticed that they inserted it all the way down. I inserted mine only half way and made it as compact as possible.

Also, for me, the smallest ear tips have the best bass. I'm not sure if this means anything to anyone...

With the foams in and after some burn-in (about 30 hrs), I'm pretty happy with the RE0 so far. SQ and sound signature seems to be improving gradually with more use.

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #11 of 13
Took mine out, put them back in a day later, and took them right back out. Maybe that's just the sort of sound sig I like. Mine still have plenty of bass, but they've probably got 200 hours or so on them.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #12 of 13
Wouldn't that be bad if taking the foam out reduces bass and increases treble? they already have little bass and a lot of treble.

I'd try it but will probably break them in the process like I did with my Sennheiser HD 555's trying to foam mod those.
frown.gif

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 13
Personally I felt that before my RE0 hit ~100 hours of burn in, this mod did make the treble painfully bright, but doing it on a well burned in RE0, I was surprised that the treble energy hardly increased at all. However, I voted that the modded RE0 will not sound good - the problem is that after taking out the foam, the bass that is not the tightest in the first place, becomes way too mushy for my tastes. Still detailed, but with no tightness at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back