Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
Apr 27, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #227 of 551

Quote:
What output plugin do you use if any? Do you use DirectSound, which would cause everything to be resampled again? Otherwise, does your sound card / interface support those sample rates natively?

Resampling to 192kHz should be audibly transparent. With 32kHz there's an obvious loss of high frequencies but I guess the real problem is that the low pass filter operates below 16kHz (easily within hearing range) and a steep, linear-phase filter has lots of pre-ringing which is quite likely to be audible in an ABX test.

edit @stv014: afaik the sox resampler plugin is excellent, just a matter of configuring it properly :wink:
kiteki, you could try the minimum phase option and don't allow aliasing

Thanks for the replies xnor.

I don't use any plugins apart from SoX, I use ASIO or KernelStreaming.  My external sound-card DAC is AKM AK4396, and the other one is Sabre ESS ES9023, both USB interfaces support up to 24/192.

I didn't enable aliasing, and I've adjusted it to minimum phase now.

I will repeat the ABX test again later because I believe the difference in upsampling is audible (however very slight).  I thought it could be due to how the upsampler smooths the lines so to speak?  See pictures in this article - http://www.cicsmemoryplayer.com/index.php?n=CMP.02Upsampling

Edit:  In Foobar -> Preferences -> Playback -> Output -> Output data format, I've selected 24-bit, is that correct? 32-bit works fine too.

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #228 of 551
I heard the brown note once...google it :)
No on the poll, my old ears are shot...To many concerts in my youth.

Apr 27, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #229 of 551
@kiteki: Those cics articles are BS. Whenever you see someone connecting audio samples with straight lines and speak of 'analogue like' smooth waveforms you know that they have no clue.

The smoothing you mentioned is the low pass filter that 'reduces' high frequency content at and above half the sampling rate.

Resampling a 32 kHz file to 192 kHz doesn't add more "detail" (only graphically if you connect the samples with dots, which is not what happens in the DAC), it actually decreases quality (but most probably not audibly) due to the extra, unnecessary filtering involved.

Your foobar2000 settings seem to be alright.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #230 of 551
I'm confused. What hz is this recording? Topic seems to suggest that it is above 20khz so I voted yes. But I just tried this on youtube where it goes from 20hz to 20khz and I stopped hearing sound around the 18khz range. In fact, on the youtube vid, it is an extremely sudden stop... like 18khz and then absolute silence. Kind of scary. Also, what kind of sounds in music actually does anything with 18khz?

I played the filed downloaded from this topic on Foobar, btw.

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #231 of 551

Quote:
I'm confused. What hz is this recording? Topic seems to suggest that it is above 20khz so I voted yes. But I just tried this on youtube where it goes from 20hz to 20khz and I stopped hearing sound around the 18khz range. In fact, on the youtube vid, it is an extremely sudden stop... like 18khz and then absolute silence. Kind of scary. Also, what kind of sounds in music actually does anything with 18khz?

I played the filed downloaded from this topic on Foobar, btw.

In this case it may be fault of the youtube output format, try the files proposed att the start of the thread

May 8, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #232 of 551
May 8, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #233 of 551
May 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #235 of 551
It means your hearing is probably normal.

May 10, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #236 of 551
I recently saw an audiologist and talked to him about high-frequency hearing. He said that in general, only children can hear 20khz -- for adults, 18khz is considered high. I had a hearing test. It didn't measure how high I could hear, but it did indicate that my hearing is normal, and this is after years of listening to music on headphones. No damage or anything that could not be attributed to aging. P.S. In general, women can hear a wider frequency range than men.

May 10, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #237 of 551
Quote:
I recently saw an audiologist and talked to him about high-frequency hearing. He said that in general, only children can hear 20khz -- for adults, 18khz is considered high. I had a hearing test. It didn't measure how high I could hear, but it did indicate that my hearing is normal, and this is after years of listening to music on headphones. No damage or anything that could not be attributed to aging. P.S. In general, women can hear a wider frequency range than men.

Man, why do women get all the best parts!

Seriously though, it is great to hear that 18khz is normal. 

May 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #238 of 551
It is awkward to know 20k is normal, can normally hear up to 23.5 and if there's not much noise on background I can reach 24k... 
blink.gif

May 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #239 of 551
Frequencies double with each octave. The difference between 5kHz-10kHz is the same as the difference between 20kHz-40kHz. 24kHz is just about one note different from 20kHz in the musical scale. Negiligible.

I really don't know why people seem to want to hear above 20kHz. There's nothing up there to hear except headache inducing sqeals from bad florescent light ballasts.

May 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #240 of 551
Quote:
Frequencies double with each octave. The difference between 5kHz-10kHz is the same as the difference between 20kHz-40kHz. 24kHz is just about one note different from 20kHz in the musical scale. Negiligible.
I really don't know why people seem to want to hear above 20kHz. There's nothing up there to hear except headache inducing sqeals from bad florescent light ballasts.

and computers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back