Poll: Can you hear sound over 20kHz?
Feb 11, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #437 of 551
it simply means that youre honest with yourself - that is NEVER bad :)  a lot of people (read: all) who said "yes" could learn a lot from you! 

Quote:
I'm 21 years old and I can hear up to ~17 kHz. Is that bad? :/
I can still hear the sound from an old cathode ray tube TV.

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #438 of 551
Quote:
it simply means that youre honest with yourself - that is NEVER bad :)  a lot of people (read: all) who said "yes" could learn a lot from you! 

I agree, your honesty is good.  However, don't assume that "all" of us are lying.  I can hear what I claim I can hear. :p  If you want to come over and test me you are welcome. :) haha.

Feb 12, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #439 of 551
Quote:

I agree, your honesty is good.  However, don't assume that "all" of us are lying.  I can hear what I claim I can hear. :p  If you want to come over and test me you are welcome. :) haha.

I agree. It is very irritating to have people assume that they are right and you are wrong. The concept applies to other areas as well. People can hear better than others just as people can see better, people have higher IQs, etc. The list goes on.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #440 of 551
I can hear 22khz!!! YAY :D! But it sounds weirdly low like the slightest breeze?

21 Male on ShureSE535.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #441 of 551
Quote:

Why so bitter. Some of us just have better hearing. In fact if your ears are too sensitive it's a big hassle. I hear high frequency mosquito repellents and I can hear hissing from pretty much every music source and it drives me insane.

Feb 12, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #442 of 551
"The slightest breeze" sounds more like some sort of lower frequency distortion.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #444 of 551
Quote:
"The slightest breeze" sounds more like some sort of lower frequency distortion.

Plus the 535 is so rolled off after 10k it doesn't even reproduce 22khz at a fraction of the level of the rest of its spectrum. :p

Quote:
I agree. It is very irritating to have people assume that they are right and you are wrong. The concept applies to other areas as well. People can hear better than others just as people can see better, people have higher IQs, etc. The list goes on.

Exactly.  I know it can sound boasty and obnoxious, but sometimes it really is true.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #445 of 551

Quote: bigshot
"The slightest breeze" sounds more like some sort of lower frequency distortion."

This is more likely, especially given the specific IEM's fr response.

I can honestly say that I can't hear anything past 19khz or so on any of my iems/headphones.  They simply aren't accurate enough that high up.  I can only hear further up on my studio monitor speakers in a quiet room with my dedicated audio interface.  Even then it is much quieter and requires focus.  But I can in fact hear it as sound and not just pressure.

Just as a reference, when I'm listening for anything above 20khz, I have to be so quiet the loudest thing I hear is my heart beat.  And it's quite annoying.  :p

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #446 of 551

Quote: bigshot
"The slightest breeze" sounds more like some sort of lower frequency distortion."

This is more likely, especially given the specific IEM's fr response.

I can honestly say that I can't hear anything past 18-19khz or so on any of my iems/headphones.  They simply aren't accurate enough that high up.  I can only hear further up on my studio monitor speakers in a quiet room with my dedicated audio interface.  Even then it is much quieter and requires focus.  But I can in fact hear it as sound and not just pressure.

Just as a reference, when I'm listening for anything above 20khz, I have to be so quiet the loudest thing I hear is my heart beat.  And it's quite annoying.  :p

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #447 of 551
Quote:

lol I find that to be much worse with Custom IEMs in and if you are lying down and hearing your own heart beat & (not so much feeling lol) the vibrations throughout the house lol (airy conditioning from room mates room, refrigerator, fan in room lol) :p.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #448 of 551
I tried it with speakers same effect. Annoying headache every time it's played?! I find with my Shures although people say it 'rolls off', the treble is there but just not so bright and forward?

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #449 of 551
Unless you have some pretty fancy super tweeters, the odds that your speakers are reproducing that range are even lower. I think you're hearing a distortion artifact of a frequency your equipment isn't designed to reproduce. Was there a point where it stopped sounding like a pure tone and became a hissing sound? That is probably the true cutoff.

Feb 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #450 of 551
Unless you have some pretty fancy super tweeters, the odds that your speakers are reproducing that range are even lower. I think you're hearing a distortion artifact of a frequency your equipment isn't designed to reproduce. Was there a point where it stopped sounding like a pure tone and became a hissing sound? That is probably the true cutoff.

No, actually it gradually raises in pitch and lowers in volume until about 19 kHz then it rolls off fast to about 21khz and poof.. Gone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back