POLL: Best PCDP line-out?
Aug 21, 2001 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

coolvij

Board geriatric
What do you think would be the best currently available personal cd player, when used with an amp, through its line-out?

Also, please post why......

Aug 21, 2001 at 3:27 PM Post #2 of 19
They aren't currently available new but if you could find a used older Sony (D-E40_) D-E775, etc.) or older Panasonic (SL-S340 or something like that). I own one of the Sony's and people used to say how the Panasonics were the best out. If you could buy a used one they'd probably be good.

For currently available ones I'd say I'd probably prefer the sound of the Sony D-EJ915 out of the lineout. I had one and I thought it sounded pretty good hooked up to my integrated amp. It kept screwing up so I returned it though and now I stick with my Sony D-E446CK.

Aug 26, 2001 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm not sure, but I think that the D-J01 would have a really good, if not the best line out of all modern players, plus it is a digital out too. That's what I think Kevin Gilmore uses with his Omega2's portably, the lucky fellow.

Aug 26, 2001 at 7:50 AM Post #4 of 19
yep, i agree... I really want to compare it to a 777.

unfortunately it also has the worst headphone amp of any portable ever made...

and for that price, i'd rather get a cheap-ass player and spend the extra money on a better amp or headphone...

Aug 26, 2001 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 19
I find the D777 line out to be comparable, and in some cases preferential to that of my Marantz CDP... If anyone wants a comparison (and maybe i'll throw in a review of the DE-J825 for the more modern player buyers)... lemme know below
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2001 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 19
Yes, duncan, that would be VERY helpful! Pleeeeaaase......

Aug 26, 2001 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 19
Okey Dokey, I'll have a good listening session tonight and tomorrow morning, and do a write up in a new thread sometime tomorrow evening
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2001 at 6:48 PM Post #9 of 19
Excellent! Thanks a heap, dunc
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2001 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 19
Oops, Sorry... that review thing is going to be put on hold for a couple of days

Hopefully I'll have it ready by Wednesday

Sorry for the delay
frown.gif

Aug 27, 2001 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 19
That's ok - just get it in ASAP
biggrin.gif

I think I'm gonna get a Panasonic 570A - but I must inquire about "stuff" first....

Aug 29, 2001 at 4:08 AM Post #14 of 19
guys,
i just got my 1989 sony d-9 PCDP i bought from ebay. the headphone jack sounds pretty bad: the volume pot is scratchy and the sound is bright. but the line out is another story completely!

i have this sony home cd player from 1993, and after comparing the two i must say that the 1989 PCDP sounds as good as the home CDP. of course the sony home CDP isn't very good, but i never thought i would hear a portable that sounds anywhere close to a home unit.

i compared my other portable CDP's line outs to the d-9 and the d-9 sounds clearer and less compressed than the pano 470 or my sony d-e776 (from 1999).

Aug 29, 2001 at 5:07 AM Post #15 of 19
I have a d-9, too, it's my dad's OLD OLD cdp that I "borrowed" from him about 6 years ago
smily_headphones1.gif

This one is metal, has a backlit LCD, no ESP or other anti skip features, uses a proprietary rechargeable battery, has mega bass, and can use a remote.

Mine also has the scratchy volume control and headphone jack, with a nice sounding line out. The thing is VERY solid. The battery on this one is dead and I have no idea if you could ever find another one like it, so I just use the wall wart with it (it's not much good as a portable anyway with the crappy anti skip features.)

Anyway, I was going to ask around to see if anyone else had ever had any experience with one of these, so I guess that at least one person answered my question anyway.

I can't believe this thing is in the excellent shape it's in considering it's from 1989.

Here are some pics:

dc9a.jpg

dc9b.jpg

dc9c.jpg

dc9d.jpg

dc9e.jpg

dc9f.jpg

dc9g.jpg

dc9h.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back