Poll:Best budget amp for K701
Apr 28, 2006 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

kg21

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, the AKG K701s are on their way and I was wondering for those that have the k701s or those that are very knowledgeable on the subject(basically if you know how the K701s sound and which amp improves its strengths or makes up for its weaknesses), please let me know which budget amp you think has the best synergy with the K701s. If you choose other please post which one you recommend. These are just the ones I could think of through the last few days of researching by the way, im sure there are some that I left out.

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 38
Other - PINT

Also, I wouldn't necessarily call a M^3 a budget amp by any means.

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 38
This is totally dependent on what you mean by "best" and "budget." If you mean the cheapest amp possible that can drive the K701, that's going to be a CMOY.

The next best solid state amps will be something like the Xin SuperMini-3/Hornet/SR-71/AE-1/Portaphile V2^2, which are great amps for their prices and are the best solid-state amps in the portable arena.

But the K701 really deserves a tube amp to give it a musical warmth, because solid-state amps just make it sound dry/hollow/clinical. The cheapest tube amps start at $300 or so.

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 38
A 'custom M^3' probably is going to cost more than the other amps listed, as far as I know. My vote would go to the PINT as far as truly budget amps go, although I happen to like it better than pretty much any portable amp I've used.

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #5 of 38
I agree with the PINT recommendations -- alot of bang-for-the-buck.

Heck just buy a PINT, and save your leftover money for....well a PINT (of the other kind
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 38
It would seem, from reading the description on Tangent's site, that PINT is still inferior to PIMETA...am I correct in thinking this?

Then, my vote would be a PIMETA if custom M^3 is out of your budget.

Apr 28, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
It would seem, from reading the description on Tangent's site, that PINT is still inferior to PIMETA...am I correct in thinking this?

Then, my vote would be a PIMETA if custom M^3 is out of your budget.

I don't believe you're correct in thinking this. While the PINT takes some cues from the PIMETA, it's really kind of its own thing, so it's really different rather than inferior.

Apr 28, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 38
im sure you can tell from the poll im new but I appreciate the input. It seems like the m^3 is the way to go if I can afford it(I knew the price was more than the others at 200+ I just wanted to include it to hear some feedback), otherwise I will look into the pint. I guess I should specify I just wanted to know which sounds best with the K701s not just which have enough to power them.

Apr 29, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
This is totally dependent on what you mean by "best" and "budget." If you mean the cheapest amp possible that can drive the K701, that's going to be a CMOY.

The next best solid state amps will be something like the Xin SuperMini-3/Hornet/SR-71/AE-1/Portaphile V2^2, which are great amps for their prices and are the best solid-state amps in the portable arena.

But the K701 really deserves a tube amp to give it a musical warmth, because solid-state amps just make it sound dry/hollow/clinical. The cheapest tube amps start at $300 or so.

How does your LDM+ compare to your other portable amps for the k701's?

Apr 29, 2006 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
I don't believe you're correct in thinking this. While the PINT takes some cues from the PIMETA, it's really kind of its own thing, so it's really different rather than inferior.

Interesting. Tangent does describe it as basically a PIMETA circuit without the buffered outputs.

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
Interesting. Tangent does describe it as basically a PIMETA circuit without the buffered outputs.

Well, it's like a pimeta where a dual channel opamp handles L&R and a separate opamp handles the G channel. It's different in that the Pimeta uses output buffers after the opamps that are rated at outputing 250mA/channel and the PINT doesn't need output buffers because each opamp can output 300mA/channel. There are other differences but I would consider this to be the main difference.

Apr 29, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 38
Unless you want to go portable, a high end portable amplifier (such as the AE-1 or Hornet) would not be the best option. Any way you look at it, many dedicated nonportable amplifiers at the same price would be superior. For example, the M^3. Can be easily built/bought for around $350. Superior.

Also, just as a note, the consensus out there is that a quality built PINT is better than the AE-1 and Hornet. The problem is the battery life. But then, if you aren't going portable, it doesn't matter.

Edit: You folks with the harsh attitude, it was obvious that I made the mistake of saying Raptor instead of Hornet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back