Poll: Audeze LCD-2 rev1/rev2 owners desert Island scenario.
Sep 27, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #46 of 79
[size=8pt]I've owned Rev 1 for about 9 months and I've tried out Rev 2 at a local shop. After extended listening, I could not hear significant difference between the two and it did not compel me to upgrade. I'd be happy with either one of them.  [/size]

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #47 of 79
As a follow-up to my appreciation of the Rev2 above, I find the Q-audio cable for it to be a significant improvement. I comment on it in the thread about LCD2 aftermarket cables.

Oct 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #48 of 79
I very clearly prefer the Rev. 1, but I have always sought a midrange-centric sound signature. Rev 2 is a great headphone but took what I thought to be the best sound signature I've ever heard (a unique one, moreover) and tuned it closer to the remainder of the market - a more 'hifi' sound.

For me, these are the perfect headphones. Maybe not the most resolved or extended --though they certainly are that-- but they make music with any album I throw at them. Never shrill or uncomfortable sounding no matter the recording. I prefer my HD600 to every other headphone I've heard until now, if that makes any sense. And I sold my Merlin VSM for Devore Gibbon 8, for the same reason.

Eddie Current Equilibrato 300B + LCD2 Rev. 1 = the end of the road.

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:16 AM Post #51 of 79
rounded %

1% got back

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #52 of 79
Quote:
Having listened to the new Rev2 LCD-2 recently, it's a definitely improvement over the Rev1.  Both in sound and in comfort.  They went with considerably less clamping pressure than the older Rev1 headband.  The new leather cover and padding is a great improvement, but it' an optional upgrade you must pay for.  It's not as soft as the memory type foam in the HifiMan HE series headphones, but it is thicker and has bumps like old school Sennheiser HD600, but lower profile.

I'm assuming you mean that you find the leather headband to be more comfortable than the original foam headband?  Because I didn't think that the degree of clamping force is any different between Rev1 and Rev2, is it? 

And if it is, I wouldn't think that the difference would be due to the leather headband.  I would definitely get the leather headband if there was a consensus that it were more comfortable, but there doesn't seem to be any such agreement.  Even with the new earpads, the LCD2's lack of comfort--due to the weight and clamping force--is still its biggest weakness for me.

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #53 of 79
My Rev2 clamp considerably harder then my Rev1. Seems like this is totally depending on head size because the Rev1 as brand new didn´t clamp like this. Except for having worn the Rev1 more I also have the old style ear pads.

I don´t have issue with the clamping on either though.  I find it more distracting when headphones don´t stay put. The weight distribution seem to be better on the Rev1. Rev2 is a bit lighter but there is still a small win for the Rev1 with the old headband. I will switch them around and hopefully create a win win Rev 2 :wink:

Oct 13, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #54 of 79

Quote:
My Rev2 clamp considerably harder then my Rev1. Seems like this is totally depending on head size because the Rev1 as brand new didn´t clamp like this. Except for having worn the Rev1 more I also have the old style ear pads.

I don´t have issue with the clamping on either though.  I find it more distracting when headphones don´t stay put. The weight distribution seem to be better on the Rev1. Rev2 is a bit lighter but there is still a small win for the Rev1 with the old headband. I will switch them around and hopefully create a win win Rev 2 :wink:

Same here when I had them both new.
On top of that I seemed to prefer rev1 sound also, so decision wasn't hard for me; rev1 was there to stay. I just couldn't justify it to myself to keep 2 headphones that are that similar in sound

Oct 14, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #55 of 79
Definitely the older Revision 1. It has a more unique sound as opposed to the Revision 2 which has a more "hi-fi" (read: brighter) sound. I can concur with Figo that it has a more natural and resolving midrange than the newer version so that's the clincher for me. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #56 of 79
Looks like the introduction of the LCD-3 will make the desert island trip a little more interesting.
o2smile.gif

Oct 22, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #57 of 79
It's really hard to decide between the 2, they are like 2 very different headphones. Like how someone mentioned earlier, R.2 sounded more Hi-Fi (brighter) like, with much wider soundstage, as if the designer has taken in the complaints about it being dark sounding with a small soundstage and decided to totally correct it. In general, I prefer how the R.2 sounds, but after doing A/B tests, R.1 is much richer sounding in comparison. :)

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #59 of 79
If I have the rev1, can I send them to Audeze to get them upgraded to rev2, and if so, how much would that costs?
Thanks in advance!

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #60 of 79
@Leander

It's not possible, as far as I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back