Poll: Arguably The Greatest Heavy Metal Albums Of All Time?
Jun 1, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #16 of 30
You say Heavy Metal, and yet you've got like heaps of Thrash & Black Metal albums in there too...

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #17 of 30
While Immortal - Battles In The North is great album, its not greatest blackmetal album IMO. Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is better, and so is Burzum - Filosofem.

Metallicas Ride the lightning is simply classic and fantastic album. Emperors nightside eclipse is great. Oh hell, i dont know what to pick... I say other +500 albums, there are too many to pick from.

And yes, Heavy Metal is one genre of metal, containing bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and similar. This poll contains albums from completely different metal genres.

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
You say Heavy Metal, and yet you've got like heaps of Thrash & Black Metal albums in there too...

This list was taken from a (longer) list by an expert in Metal music,
author of hundreds of articles on Metal, ....
so please don't blame HIM for that list, he does NOT deserve it, or does he?
Of course, even experts like him, have their own preferences and biases,
but this guy knows much more about Metal than all of us put together.
Anyway, we can disagree with his list, and we do.
Why, because we're just human beings, and have our own musical preferences.
You know how many times film critics say about a movie:
'Two Thums Up!!' but the general audience does not like it all.
Or vice versa, critics are very negative about some movies,
but ordinary people, like us, love those movies.
The same applies to any kind of art: music, paintings, ....

Adam
580smile.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
This list was taken from a (longer) list by an expert in Metal music,
author of hundreds of articles on Metal, ....
so please don't blame HIM for that list, he does NOT deserve it, or does he?
Of course, even experts like him, have their own preferences and biases,
but this guy knows much more about Metal than all of us put together.
Anyway, we can disagree with his list, and we do.
Why, because we're just human beings, and have our own musical preferences.
You know how many times film critics say about a movie:
'Two Thums Up!!' but the general audience does not like it all.
Or vice versa, critics are very negative about some movies,
but ordinary people, like us, love those movies.
The same applies to any kind of art: music, paintings, ....

Adam
580smile.gif

Someone liking something while other dislikes is a totally different thing.

Point is that if subject says Heavy Metal, then it should have only heavy metal albums. Heavy Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal, etc... are different genres based on same genre: Metal. But thats a small error anyway, we in finland tend to say that a person listens Heavy music, word heavy shortened from heavy metal, when they mean he likes metal music. Bit wrong, but doesnt matter a ****. We are all metalheads afterall, no matter what genre(s) we love.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #20 of 30
I never considered Heavy Metal to be a sub genre of metal... I always considered Heavy Metal to encompass all other subgenres of metal...dunno if that makes sense to anyone else. For example, black metal and death metal would be a subgenre of Heavy Metal/Metal...

However, when someone asks me what kind of music I listen to, I almost always respond by saying I listen simply to Metal even though I listen to black, death, thrash, B&B, power, and all kinds of mixtures of those just mentioned.

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
I never considered Heavy Metal to be a sub genre of metal... I always considered Heavy Metal to encompass all other subgenres of metal...dunno if that makes sense to anyone else. For example, black metal and death metal would be a subgenre of Heavy Metal/Metal...

However, when someone asks me what kind of music I listen to, I almost always respond by saying I listen simply to Metal even though I listen to black, death, thrash, B&B, power, and all kinds of mixtures of those just mentioned.

Hmmm... True. Practically Heavy Metal was the first metal genre ever made and others came after that. Sorry for small inaccurasy.
icon10.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

This list was taken from a (longer) list by an expert in Metal music...

All I meant was that it shouldn't have "Heavy Metal" there it should just be metal . Even though it seems like i'm being a genre nazi (as I have been thread-crapping a bit lately), for someone who has not heard "heavy metal" before and goes up and picks up a Bathory album because of that list, theyre probably going to be scared away for good and form a bias that all metal is satanic and evil
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

I guess, there are very few people on this site who actually own any Black Sabbath cds or lps.

I guess I am among the very few. I owned a bunch of Black Sabbath LPs back in the '70s, and have four of their CDs now. From my point of view, Black Sabbath is the original heavy metal band. They ARE pure heavy metal. Without Black Sabbath having paved the way, most of what we know as heavy metal would never have come into existence.

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #24 of 30
Paranoid
Number of the Beasts
Reign in Blood
Master of Puppets
When the Kite String Pops

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
...for someone who has not heard "heavy metal" before and goes up and picks up a Bathory album because of that list, theyre probably going to be scared away for good and form a bias that all metal is satanic and evil
wink.gif

One cannot mention Motley Crue and forget Stryper's "To Hell With The Devil", so people could pick up one of the greatest Heavy Metal albums of all time and not be scared away with such a bias.

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #27 of 30
Your forgot Rust In Peace , Coma Of Souls , Peace Sells , Among the Living, South Of Heaven , Reign In Blood, The Number of the Beast, Powerslave , Beneath the Remains, Screaming for Vengeance, British Steel, Master of Puppets, Ace of Spades...

And I don't think Motley Crue should be there.

Just thought I'd let you know!
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bostonears
I guess I am among the very few. I owned a bunch of Black Sabbath LPs back in the '70s, and have four of their CDs now. From my point of view, Black Sabbath is the original heavy metal band. They ARE pure heavy metal. Without Black Sabbath having paved the way, most of what we know as heavy metal would never have come into existence.

I love Black Sabbath of Ozzy era, no matter what.

Imo, the way one can see those categories is this:

classic rock ==> rock ==> hard rock (also called Heavy rock) ==>

classic metal ==> metal ==> heavy metal ==> extreme metal

and the subgenres: thrash, grindcore, death and black, ...
symphonic metal, industrial metal, ... etc.

The adjectives Heavy and Extreme only specify the 'heaviness' of metal - how do you measure 'heavines' of metal?
It's subjective and relative, of course.

By no means it's unique, e.g. some call Black Sabbath Classic Metal band or some just Heavy Metal band
but no one would call them Extreme Metal band!

Let's consider Metallica. To me they represent Heavy Metal, thrash metal, in particular.
However, some people (authors) would say that they belong to the Extreme Metal.
Cradle Of Filth (black metal) is definitely Extreme Metal, but some would still call them Heavy Metal.
Decapilated (death metal) would belong to the Extreme Metal, but some would call them Heavy Metal band, and so on ....

Some would call all Death and Black Metal Bands Extreme Metal bands, by definition.

Adam
580smile.gif

Jun 2, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

By no means it's unique, e.g. some call Black Sabbath Classic Metal band or some just Heavy Metal band
but no one would call them Extreme Metal band!

Considering that the first few Black Sabbath releases were Doom Metal, that may be untrue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back