Poll: Are You a JPEG or RAW shooter?
Apr 21, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #61 of 67
I voted for "It depends."

RAW is nice - if you intend to post-process the ****** out of that image file as soon as possible using a photo editing software package which supports the files from your particular camera. But be advised that no image should be archived in that format. This is because nobody knows when a photo editing software ceases supporting RAW from a particular camera. (Imagine a certain older version of a popular software package supports RAW from your camera, only to have newer versions of that same software no longer supporting RAW from your camera even with a patch.) As such, before archiving, RAW files should be converted and resaved into a more universally-supported format such as JPEG.

I shoot in JPEG if I already know that the image would be going directly to a print or an onscreen image, with little (if any) post-processing.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #62 of 67
Hmmm... I recently got a camera that can do RAW, yet I haven't played with it yet. Perhaps I shall....

May 14, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #63 of 67
i once had ambitions of photoshopping my pictures, but then i found myself taking so many pictures, that this wasn't realistic. Furthermore, the image enhancement capabilities of applications like Picasa do a fine job 90% of the time. So...I gave in to JPEG.

May 14, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #64 of 67
Usually RAW when I can't shoot my large format negs
cool.gif

May 14, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #65 of 67
as mentioned before after seeing the difference between RAW and JPEG, I switched to RAW, but also I cant find anything to view it with other than the software that came with the camera. : / (friggin vista and no canon raw codec)

May 14, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #66 of 67
Whenever I shoot for myself, ie, go out somewhere, take the time to frame and compose a shot, I will always shoot raw. I will also shoot raw for group shots that I know are taken for the purpose of going into frames and gifts and such.

If i'm shooting an event or outing of some sort, be it an outing or an social event, I will shoot in medium-normal Jpeg. Makes processing and working with the files a lot easier, because they are in such a higher quanitity.

Unfortunately, this ratio turns out to be about 1:50 raw:jpeg.

When you have to process 500+ photos every week, just can't deal with the raw files.

May 14, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #67 of 67
Freedom of choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back