POLL $100.00 ~ headphone choice from 5 listed 8.22.12
Aug 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

preferedu

New Head-Fier
 AKG K240 , Sony MDR7506 , Shure SRH440, and Sennheiser HD280, Grado SR80i ? what to buy? 

These are the phones in the Poll I'm trying to decide which ones to get .     I have a set of  KRK KNS 8400  
right now decently flat.  bass  is underwhelming but is  there and clean if you feed them a decent signal they are not perfect and somewhat analytical .
Also have some senn. HD301 not much to say there veiled to much distorted bass not much detail mids or highs  but they didn't cost much iI got them for $14.00
so who's to complain? at that price they are good spares .  

I like clean  clear decently loud music.  I guess a lot of us could say that. I listen to Rock ,Classsic Rock 50's 60's ,70's 80,s oldies  ??depends who you ask.  ...wow  that 70's  80's thing sure made me  feel old they weren't oldies then , R&B occasional Jazz. Dianna Krell and  Etta James wow. 
No hip hop or rap for me. . I will be driving these with a m-audio interface or a computer headphone out  ,or a vintage Pioneer SX980 reciever
depending on which room I`m in. for now. I  probably will want a DAC and amp later.  I'm looking for decent clean bass  not overwhelming or flabby,
 along with  balanced detailed mids and highs clean and detail are  important. as is balance. I know that is a tall order at this price point . 
I guess I preferr a more neutral  type headphone with out harsh highs boxy  mids  or sloppy bass clean and tight  would describe bass preference. 
my main speaker system is  a pair of passive 3 way 8" studio moniters  and a powered 12" sub also have a pair of  large 3 way Electrovoice cabs with
 15 " woofer and separate  mid and high horns  Studio monitor type  not PA  detail is amazing I  if a bit rolled off on the highs. very clean.  They also have their own 15" separate dedicated powered subwoofer to help out below 80hz they can be ovewhelming though so they don't get used a lot.  so maybe that will give  an idea of what I like sonically   I hate boxy sounding speakers . 

I  was thinking about one of  these  above to round things out . I  would like one of these (if they sound good) for a daily driver for now. I`m new to headphones getting to like them  but an old hand at audio and computers.   I post on AudioKharma frequently and occasionally Audio Asylum both good forums as is Head-FI . Since this is the  gold standard of head phone forums I thought i would post here . We have sent a few individuals here
from AK for headphone DAC,Amp advise. Have  been reading around here for about a year. interesting forum.
 best regards 

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 30
Having had all at one point or another, K240 is my go to with srh840 pads. It loves juice however and responds well to it. Most comfy of the lot. NEUTRAL as neutral can be.

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 30
Shure srh 440 is very flat, but a built boring IMO. HD 280 is similar to the 440, but not as comfy, but have a bit more sparkle in the high end. 7506 is very good, but I would not necessarily call it flat. It has a bass boost. Never liked grado's sound signature, way too piercing, bright and harsh sounding in the highs, and sometimes the mids, but it depends the recording. The K240 has a very nice sound. Not the most flat, but is very pleasant with its detailed and bassy sound. Go for the K240.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #9 of 30
I got my Shure SRH750DJ's for $110 BNIB from an authorized Shure distributor. Perhaps consider those if you can spare the extra $10.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:
Thanks I edited my reply to describe preferencs as best I could thanks for the reply I prefer circumaural  headphones with decent isolation . 

Heya,

If you could get exactly what you're looking for in the $150 range, would you make the adjustment budget wise? I find the $100 range to be underwhelming. The $150 range is where some real gems open up and your options become much better in my opinion (both in build quality, structure, accessories, sound quality, just overall package takes a big step forward at this price point).

Very best,

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:
Definitely true. When my friend and I go to the library to study, he has his sr 60s and I have my srh 840s. Within half an hour, someone always walks up to him to tell him to turn down his music.

lol... I had ultrasone hfi 2400, and they leaked like crazy. I like closed. I do not like grado...too bright for my taste, and I am a person who loves bright headphones.

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Heya,

If you could get exactly what you're looking for in the $150 range, would you make the adjustment budget wise? I find the $100 range to be underwhelming. The $150 range is where some real gems open up and your options become much better in my opinion (both in build quality, structure, accessories, sound quality, just overall package takes a big step forward at this price point).

Very best,

but I think K240s are amazing for 100

Aug 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 30
Try the Sennheiser HD 429.  Slightly bass emphasized with a good to great midrange which is a big plus for rock music.  If you can afford it going up to the HD 449 @ $120 is well worth it, but even the HD 429 should suffice.  Both designs are closed so leaking sound should be little to no issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back