Polk VS Infinity-need advice...
Oct 24, 2004 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Vedder323

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently working for company that offers a good accomidation program from polk audio and Infinity. I am young and dont have a lot of money but I plan on buying my system piece by piece.

I have heard some polk speakers and infinity speakers at work and I think I like the infinity sound a little more. I noticed the highs of the polks hurt my ears at high volume levels. I enjoy classic rock and some "recent" rock/punk. I like the sound of guitars and drums. My favorite recordings of all time is "The Wall and DSOTM from Pink Floyd."

I hope this offers enough info that will help you recommend a good way to go. Here are the speakers I am looking at.

Infinity models
Primus 360
Alpha 50
Beta 40
Beta 50
Kappa400

Polk models
Monitor 60
Monitor 70
RTI 10
RTI 12
RTI 8

Oct 25, 2004 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 13
I personally liked the Infinitys.
This is what I have
Beta 40 FL FR
Primus (center)
Primus 150 RL RR

I am very happy with the sound. To me it sounded a little clearer and the bottom end wasnt to boomy.

And for the sub I got a velodyne. The infinty didnt have the freq response and the polk was just dirty.

This isnt as high end as I wanted to go but for me its a place to start and I will be happy with it for a while.

Just my .02

Oct 25, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 13
Infinity speakers used to be awesome, and they were good the last time I listened (series after the Overture), so I'd assume they haven't botched it. However, Polk speakers are decent, but are just slightly worse in the same price range...and tend to be geared towards bassheads.

Oct 26, 2004 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
I have the kappa 400 in cherry. Awesome speakers! Give them sometime to break in. Those ceramic diaphrams are some of the best out there.

Cool! What are you using to drive them?

Oct 26, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Assuming they're from the old Kappa7/9 series, they'd probably be amazing. Those speakers really ripped, and they were massive.

They sound little different. I'm a fan of old Infinity and used to own numerous vintage models. Older Kappa series are little lean on the bass with heavenly highs & midranges (sort of like Sony CD3K and Audio Techinica A1000 in sonic signature, Infinity is fairly detailed, perhaps one can say similar to Ety ER-4 with little more bass). One strength of older Inifinity (or disadvantage, depends on your preference) is their EMI tweeters. It has this airy, almost breeze like high frequency reproduction characteristics.

The newer Alpha/Beta/Kappa models sound considerably different. IMHO, Alpha and Beta lines do not sound as good as older highend Kappa models. Their bass is way too bloated, its high extention isn't really as lively as the older Kappa. The newer highend Kappa models do sound like more refined and more bassy version of old Kappa from my limited audition. May be it's the listening room, they sounded a lot warmer than my Kappa (older models) with smoother (lacks the air) highs, slightly less detailed midrange, but fairly descent bass. Newer models lacks the speed and snap of older model for their high frequency/midrange production, but much smoother in overall presentation.

Oct 26, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 13
As a creature of habit, I have used Infinity for a number of years. I have voiced two of my home theaters with them. I have not heard the new ones, but I am very happy with my current HT configuration of Infinity Overture 2s, Infinity CC3, Infinity RS-2s.

As someone suggested, if it is possible, your best bet is to try and listen to them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back