Polk Subwoofer w/ Klipsch Promedia Satellites
Aug 4, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 20
One more thing. That $75 Marantz SR5200 should sound very good. I'd probably go with that for a good budget find. Just realize how big they are. It is a full-sized receiver. But you wouldn't get anything new with a better sounding amplifier in it without spending several hundred dollars (or more).

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #17 of 20
Would the SR-7000 not be worth the extra $40? I'll probably go with your recommendation, since this is a starter rig I probably won't go into researching a million different models like I did with my first pairs of nice headphones.

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #18 of 20
From what I can tell based on the specs, the primary difference is 85watts/channel vs. 100watts/channel. Since your new speakers are rated 75 watts, the additional power would not make a difference. I would think you'd be very happy with either.

You can find customer reviews of the SR5200 listed in this thread: http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/a-v-receivers/marantz/sr-5000/prd_118669_2718crx.aspx. My brother bought my mother an older SR500 series receiver several years ago, and it sounds great. So I am probably a bit biased about thinking the 5200 is a good deal :D

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #19 of 20
Update --

So I now have a pretty dope starter rig set up. Those Micca speakers ($100, Amazon), the Polk Audio sub (free for me, $130 on Amazon), and Marantz SR-5200 amp ($75 on Craigslist).

cel. you went to Craigslist and pretty much just found an amp for me and suggested great speakers as well, so thanks for the help man. I tried the system out last night, it sounded exactly what I was hoping for and better than I was expecting. Gotta love good audio and people who know it well. Thanks guys!

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #20 of 20
Congrats!

Glad to help. That's a great setup, and if you ever want to upgrade, that Marantz would sound good with $1000 speakers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back