Polk Audio LSi15
Jan 15, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 5
The LSi series in general are amazing speakers.

You won't come close to their potential powering them off of that receiver though.

They require very high current amplifiers, most of the folks on the Polk forums or on avsforum that are into the LSi series are using some serious mono block ampliers or specialty amps along the lines of Krell etc. to drive them.

The LSi's are not happy with most consumer gear due to their impedance.

I went with RTi series over the LSi because I really didn't have the cash to amp them up to their potential.

I would hunt down a local Polk dealer and trial any of the LSi's with a consumer receiver before committing to that purchase

Jan 15, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 5
Given their low impedance, you'll probably find yourself cranking up the volume knob to get to a decent volume level, but from the product literature for the speakers and the amp, it looks like the setup should be fine.

If you have any doubts, I'd follow kingsqueak's suggestion of finding a store where they'll hook up both and play some material (music or movies) that you prefer, ideally in a room where you won't be bothered by pushy salespeople or other such noise.

Good luck!

Jan 15, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 5
thanks for the input guys. i also listened to the RTi12s in the store and decided on the lsi because they had subs built in. but from what i've
been reading online for the last hour or so i might end up getting a sub
anyway. so now i'm leaning back towards the Rti12s. would that receiver
drive those well? i don't want to spend $900 on an amp (on sale) if it doesn't reach the needs of the speakers.

Jan 16, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 5
actually, the LSi15 have side-firing woofers, but not built-in subwoofers (those are in the LSi25). having said that, they do reach quite deep, with nice tight bass (as long as the woofers have room to breathe). the bass on the 25 is a bit overpowering to me.

i am not a Polk fan, but i happen to think the LSi15 are fantastic speakers, especially for the money. they do need a good high-current amp to sound their best. i personally don't think the RTi series are anywhere near as good as the LSi. in fact, i didn't really like the RTi at all.

i'm assuming this is for an HT setup and not stereo? if it's HT, i'd recommend checking out the Emotiva Ultra Theater Pre-pro/amp combo, for $900 (scroll down on the page). it should give you all the juice you need, with a good upgrade path down the road.

if it's two channel, then you've got many more options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back