Politics isn't a casual conversation topic in US?
Oct 9, 2006 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

DRSpeed85

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a Korean raised in Italy currently studying here in US. I can't help but notice that politics is a subject that seems to be avoided here in university compared to the other two places I lived in. I was alarmed of north korea's nuclear test yesterday so I went to school eager to talk about it with my friends over lunch. Instead of exchanging info and ideas I was told that it is not a topic to discuss over lunch. I was met with the same response over at starbucks with a different set of friends, so I am puzzled if it is generally true, or it is just that my friends are stressed out in school.

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 19
I always end up talking politics but sometimes people just want to have casual conversation and since religion and politics are usually very passionate people will avoid them to keep a situation with mixed company enjoyable.

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 19
If anybody should discuss politics - it is students!
I cannot comment on the US - but around here it is expected that students discuss politics, be it during lunch or dinner!

Oct 9, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 19
Politics in the US is very polarized -- much more so than in most other places. This level of polarization usually ends up creating bad feelings when discussed in mixed social settings, so it's become taboo.

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 19
This is a personal feeling really. In europe it seems like people believe that democracy functions better when the population has strong opinions. In Korea, well to be honest, there is a lot of distrust on the government, so people keep talking about newer ideas. In the US, people(students) speak as if there is an "invisible elite" or an oligarchy/plutocracy controlling the senate, demonstrated by the lack of support of Katrina victims and overly corporate friendly policies.

I think Wodgy's explaination sounds the most logical. I came to America thinking it would be a mix of everything around the globe. Slowly realising it may be the case for new york city but to a much lesser extent in other regions, especially inland areas. Students from inland areas sound very different from those from the coast in terms of political views of course.

This is an objective point of view. I am not experienced in this matter to have my own opinion yet. This is why I keep asking but my friends refuse to comment. :p

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 19
I'm in full agreement with Wodgy.

The level of political disagreement in the US is so high that incivility is almost a foregone conclusion when a political discussion takes place in an open or group setting.

Casual political conversations can become highly adversarial very quickly here. Avoidance of public discussion of political issues is a mechanism to prevent open hostility, as much as that's possible, so that our society can continue to function.

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 19
I really depends on where you are in the US. I grew up and went to college in CA and my college professors, classmates and friends were all very vocal about politics. I think it might have gotten worse since I've gotten into law school.
rolleyes.gif

Myself, I've never really been into talking about politics. I like to hear what others have to say but try not to get involved since I really don't hold strong opinions either way.

Oct 9, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #11 of 19
People are more vocal about politics in areas of the country where there is more uniformity of opinion, because it's less likely to create hard feelings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
I see... Is that an explanation to why people shout at each other on programs like CNN, MSNBC? I never see such behavior on BBC, Sky news or Korean programs.

It wasn't always like this. At least it wasn't always so over-the-top polarized. I've watched the level of incivility grow during my lifetime. Looking at where we are now, it's almost amazing that the first nationally syndicated, heavily polarized talk radio show only began in 1988. Now practically all you hear on AM talk radio is stuff that's extremely polarized and usually incivil, from one side or the other. (Part of that is undoubtedly due to the 1987 repeal by the FCC of the Fairness Doctrine, but it's really more part of a larger tide in US politics.)

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
People are more vocal about politics in areas of the country where there is more uniformity of opinion, because it's less likely to create hard feelings.

Its funny, 'cause I live in one of those places (Tx), and am in the minority. The vocalization of the majority here makes it...socially unacceptable to be vocal about being in the minority.

With that, I will say no more, as this borders on head-fi rule-breaking.

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
Isn't this... like... discussing politics... and therefore isn't this against head-fi rules. I know it's all harmonious so far, but rules are rules, and wouldn't it be better to do this somewhere else?

Meh.

I dont think it is...'cause it talking about talking about politics. But then again, who am I to say?

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 19
Isn't this... like... discussing politics... and therefore isn't this against head-fi rules. I know it's all harmonious so far, but rules are rules, and wouldn't it be better to do this somewhere else?

Meh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back