Polishing the Sennheiser Amperior. A Finished Work Log. PIC Heavy
Aug 13, 2013 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Squeedly

New Head-Fier
Since the Moment I looked at the Sennheiser Amperior I couldn't help but think how awesome it would be to have a pair polished to a mirror shine. I think I will leave the recessed parts anodized (I have the silver version). I'm not sure if I will polish the aluminum caps that hold the earcup arm...things.

This is a sort of walk through of a haphazard way to do this. All it takes is sponge backed sanding pads, some blue tape and a heaping helping of elbow grease. Along with a soft cloth and Mothers Mag & Aluminum Wheel Polish. My hands were pretty sore when I was finished. Actual sanding and polishing time was probably 5 hours. Standard Course, Medium, Fine, Polish method.

Pics Below.

Edit: Fast Forward 8 hours. It's not perfect but the nature of polished aluminum is as long as I keep polishing it, it will only get better. 
Finished(ish) Product.

If you were ever worried about scratching the finish off these through normal use, don't be. It took a good five minutes with course sanding sponge to start to see metal. It's practically a thick power coat thickness/hardness wise.

Aug 13, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 10
A few pics of the First of the two cups.

Now it starts to get real.

The Tape is more of a fail safe than a final sanding point.

Past the point of no return on the first cup.

Fully polished cup next to the stock one.

Shiny is an understatement. 

Looks Pretty Good! And the Headphones aren't bad either :p

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 10
Just a comment, but the only way you're going to "polish" the anodized aluminum is to grind/sand enough to cut through the entire anodizing layer.  Once you do that, the aluminum has no protection from the normal oxidation/corrosion process.  You may get better results through anodizing once you do that, or you can live with the fact that you'll have to continue re-polishing on a regular basis.

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 10
Just a comment, but the only way you're going to "polish" the anodized aluminum is to grind/sand enough to cut through the entire anodizing layer.  Once you do that, the aluminum has no protection from the normal oxidation/corrosion process.  You may get better results through anodizing once you do that, or you can live with the fact that you'll have to continue re-polishing on a regular basis.

I am aware of this, having done this to guns before. 
They take a bit of upkeep but it is worth it to have something one of a kind.

IMHO the Amperior in stock form aren't the prettiest.
Time to head to the hardware store for more sanding sponge :D

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #6 of 10
Nice work Squeedly!  I'm impressed with the idea and your results!

biggrin.gif

Mike

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks a lot :) I had actually pictured doing it differently in my mind but once I started I realized that my first plans weren't going to work. 
I see in the Amperior thread that you just got yours. I never believed in burn in before my Amperior but the change in sound between the first 5 minutes and the next 20 hours was astonishing. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #10 of 10
Just an update, the polished aluminum hasn't dulled or anything. I haven't treated them with anything since polishing, or even bothered cleaning them and they are still very shiny. The alloy in these headphones seems to be very oxidation resistant. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back