Polished Schiit: Bifrost, Gungnir Upgrades!
May 3, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #46 of 69
Quote:
It clicks more than you think.

Examples - If I'm in an IRC chat, it clicks with every beep in that app. Same thing for an instant messages.

If I'm editing a video in Final Cut Pro, it clicks *every* time I start and stop playing something, which is literally every few seconds when editing.  I usually just turn it off and edit using the analog line out instead when I'm editing video, but it's annoying that I have to do that. 

It also clicks for every YouTube video I start or stop playing.  

And, if I didn't route the system beeps to the analog line out, it would also click for all of those as well. 

Ah, I see how we differ.  My Bifrost is not connected to my computer, it's only connected to my Squeezebox.

OK, given your situation, I can see how that would get annoying.

May 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #48 of 69
I did post this on another thread but I thought this might be the place to ask as well.  Is anybody having driver issues?  I just upgraded my analog and USB boards.  I took all the precautions so imagine my surprise when USB doesn't work.  Toslink worked fine (the uber analog board sounds really nice) but I couldn't get the USB to work at all.  In my playback devices settings on my laptop, I noticed that only the Schiit USB Speakers appeared.  With my original USB card, there was also a Schiit Digital SPDIF that showed along with the Schiit USB speakers...with the v.2 board, the Schiit Digital SPDIF didn't show up.  I reverted to the original USB board and both Schiit playback devices show up and everything plays fine so I'm thinking something with the driver didn't go right (it's the latest version from Schiit).  I hope it's not a bad USB v.2 board...I was very careful and took ESD precautions to ensure I didn't fry anything.

I would appreciate any help...

Cheers!
font]

-HK sends

May 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #49 of 69
Hey everyone,

I sent the whole Bifrost back to Schiit for inspection and repair if necessary.  I've been building/upgrading computers since 1996 but this goes to show that no matter how careful you are, something can still get borked.  It may end up costing me the price of another upgrade card and the install; but I fully accept the responsibility because Schiit did warn us (read: me) about do-it-yourself upgrading.

The moral of this story is (for me at least):  It is worth the delay and the extra cash outlay to let Schiit do the work.  If for nothing else other than peace-of-mind. 
biggrin.gif

All the Best!
font]

-HK sends

May 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #50 of 69
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I sent the whole Bifrost back to Schiit for inspection and repair if necessary.  I've been building/upgrading computers since 1996 but this goes to show that no matter how careful you are, something can still get borked.  It may end up costing me the price of another upgrade card and the install; but I fully accept the responsibility because Schiit did warn us (read: me) about do-it-yourself upgrading.

The moral of this story is (for me at least):  It is worth the delay and the extra cash outlay to let Schiit do the work.  If for nothing else other than peace-of-mind. 
biggrin.gif

All the Best!
font]

-HK sends

I warned ya'll, hold onto your Schiit. Or, er, FRIED! 
tongue.gif

May 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #52 of 69
Quote:
Yep, it includes the sticker.

My sticker was missing.  I replied to the tracking email asking for one to be sent out.

Anyway, I just unpacked the box I received the other day and did the install.  Replacing the two boards was simple and took less than 10 minutes, including tear down and most of the reassembly.  Getting the LEDs lined up with the holes in the front of the chassis took another 30 minutes though, that sucked.  I'd recommend using fixed lenses in the chassis plus LEDs behind them for future models.

I was a little disappointed in the quality of the USB PCB though.  Two leads on the CM chip had a rework wire connecting them rather than a trace on the board, and what appeared to be a VRM in one corner of the board was attached at a 45-degree angle as compared to one on the original board (as well as the printing on the new board) with an over-sized blob of solder at one end.  It works just fine (including 24/176.4 in Foobar), but the PCB design and assembly comes off as a rush job.

May 4, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #53 of 69
Quote:
I did post this on another thread but I thought this might be the place to ask as well.  Is anybody having driver issues?  I just upgraded my analog and USB boards.  I took all the precautions so imagine my surprise when USB doesn't work.  Toslink worked fine (the uber analog board sounds really nice) but I couldn't get the USB to work at all.  In my playback devices settings on my laptop, I noticed that only the Schiit USB Speakers appeared.  With my original USB card, there was also a Schiit Digital SPDIF that showed along with the Schiit USB speakers...with the v.2 board, the Schiit Digital SPDIF didn't show up.  I reverted to the original USB board and both Schiit playback devices show up and everything plays fine so I'm thinking something with the driver didn't go right (it's the latest version from Schiit).  I hope it's not a bad USB v.2 board...I was very careful and took ESD precautions to ensure I didn't fry anything.

I would appreciate any help...

Cheers!
font]

-HK sends

Quote:
Hey everyone,

biggrin.gif

All the Best!
font]

-HK sends

You are too easy to lay blame on yourself. There is an equal chance that the board was faulty to begin with.

May 4, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #54 of 69
Quote:

You are too easy to lay blame on yourself. There is an equal chance that the board was faulty to begin with.

Responded in a PM but here's the gist: I walked into this with my eyes open knowing that if something went south, I could no more prove that it wasn't me than Schiit could prove that it was.  But, based on the prominent disclaimer on the ordering page, I would have to accept responsibility.

Jason, Mike and Company are good people.  I trust their judgement on this.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 4, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #55 of 69
Quote:

My sticker was missing.  I replied to the tracking email asking for one to be sent out.

Anyway, I just unpacked the box I received the other day and did the install.  Replacing the two boards was simple and took less than 10 minutes, including tear down and most of the reassembly.  Getting the LEDs lined up with the holes in the front of the chassis took another 30 minutes though, that sucked.  I'd recommend using fixed lenses in the chassis plus LEDs behind them for future models.

I was a little disappointed in the quality of the USB PCB though.  Two leads on the CM chip had a rework wire connecting them rather than a trace on the board, and what appeared to be a VRM in one corner of the board was attached at a 45-degree angle as compared to one on the original board (as well as the printing on the new board) with an over-sized blob of solder at one end.  It works just fine (including 24/176.4 in Foobar), but the PCB design and assembly comes off as a rush job.

More than likely they had a quantity of boards to use up and this a way to keep the cost down.  In the uber upgrade thread they posted pics of the two boards and the new one is still mark v1.2.  Bottom line is, it works for most of the posters here so far.  Will be interested to see what HK_sends finds out about the 'bad board' that was just sent back.

May 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #56 of 69
Anyone do the USB upgrade on the GUNGIR yet?

Same issues with the LEDS?

Jack

May 8, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #58 of 69
Quote:
Schiit Rocks!! 
biggrin.gif

The USB board was actually Tango Uniform and has been replaced at no charge (I get it back tomorrow).  For my own sanity, I'm still going to let them do any future upgrades.  My "pucker factor" was sitting at 9.5! 
tongue.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Awesome to hear that the problem was isolated. Otherwise your pucker face would have lasted a little longer 
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #60 of 69
Will these upgrades only be available from Schiit directly or will local dealers such as headphonebar.com carry the upgrades?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back