Polished Schiit: Bifrost, Gungnir Upgrades!
Apr 29, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #16 of 69
Quote:
The warranty stays in place, providing you agree to the following (on the product page):

Other Installation Options...
Please note that by selecting this option, you are saying, "Yes, I am, or know, a competent electronics technician who does not need hand-holding for this installation, and I will not allow an inexperienced person to perform the upgrade, since I understand there are no user-serviceable parts inside."

Roger that!  Thanks, Jason!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

May 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #18 of 69
Quote:
[size=10pt]Hey all,[/size]

[size=10pt]When we announced Bifrost and Gungnir, we said these DACs were pretty much “future proof,” since they’re upgradable. Now, it’s time to announce the first upgrades![/size]

[size=10pt]Bifrost Uber [/size]
[size=10pt]This DAC/Analog upgrade card improves the sonic and measured performance of Bifrost, using a discrete, direct-coupled gain stage from Gungnir. This discrete stage is more sophisticated than the base Bifrost, with a more complex topology, and DC servo to eliminate capacitors in the signal path and to improve on the already impressive performance of the AKM4399 D/A converter.[/size]

[size=10pt]The Bifrost Uber Analog card can be ordered with any new Bifrost, or can replace the existing DAC/Analog card in any Bifrost. Bifrost Ubers will ship with a specially serialized hologram label to distinguish them from standard Bifrosts.[/size]
[size=10pt]Cost: $70 when purchased with Bifrost or as a board for professional installation, or $100 as an upgrade.[/size]

More here-->

[size=10pt]Bifrost/Gungnir Gen 2 USB [/size]
[size=10pt]This new USB input card for Bifrost and Gungnir allows you to enjoy music encoded in 24/176.4, and improves USB performance across the board. Featuring the C-Media CM6631A receiver and additional isolation and filtering, the Gen 2 USB input outperforms external USB-SPDIF converters that cost several times as much.[/size]

[size=10pt]The Gen 2 USB board can replace the existing USB board in any Bifrost or Gungnir, or be added to any Bifrost or Gungnir without USB.[/size]

[size=10pt]Cost: $100 when purchased with Bifrost or Gungnir or as a board for professional installation, or $150 as an upgrade.[/size]

[size=10pt]More here-->[/size]

[size=10pt]New Schiit Upgrade Scheduling System[/size]
[size=10pt]Since we know you don’t want to be away from your Bifrost or Gungnir for long, (and since, say, trying to do 3000 upgrades in one week wouldn’t be so great on our side either) we’ve developed a convenient scheduling system that allows you to keep your product until we’re ready to turn it around immediately. Just order your upgrade on the site, then follow the steps in the series of emails. You’ll be notified when your order is accepted, when to send in your DAC, when the work is performed, and when it’s shipped back to you.[/size]

[size=10pt]And, since I know you have them, some questions:[/size]

[size=10pt]Hey, the Bifrost Uber analog upgrade is using the same D/A IC as Bifrost. What’s up with that?[/size]
[size=10pt]Blame the D/A IC manufacturers. Or our ears. First, it’s not like the options for ultra-high-performance D/A ICs are exploding. There simply hasn’t been any significant high-performance D/A ICs announced since we introduced Bifrost. Also, an upgradable DAC like Bifrost or Gungnir allows us to try out pretty much every D/A IC on the market, and the one we like the most (in the not-so-insane price realm) remains the AKM4399. So, we decided to bring Gungnir’s analog stage to Bifrost, rather than going with a different D/A IC.[/size]

[size=10pt]So, since your new USB card does 24/176, does that mean it does DSD?[/size]
[size=10pt]Nope. We will announce a DSD solution soon. It will not require you to send in your product for upgrade. That’s all we can say about that at this moment. [/size]

[size=10pt]Hey, I just bought a Bifrost, and I want Uber. What will you do for me?[/size]
[size=10pt]If you bought a Bifrost direct from us in the last 30 days, contact us and we’ll install the board for the self-install price.[/size]

[size=10pt]Hey, I just bought a Gungnir or Bifrost, and I want the Gen 2 USB board. What about that?[/size]
[size=10pt]If you bought direct from us in the last 30 days, you already have it. We’ve been shipping them for a while.[/size]

[size=10pt]How can I tell if I have the Gen 2 USB board?[/size]
[size=10pt]When using the Schiit Unified drivers on our site with PCs, or plugged into a Mac, it will give you the 24/176.4 output option.[/size]

[size=10pt]How can I tell if a Bifrost is a Bifrost Uber, you know, if I’m buying one used?[/size]
[size=10pt]Bifrost Ubers have a separate tamper-proof holographic label on the back with individual serialization.[/size]

[size=10pt]All the best,[/size]

[size=10pt]Jason[/size]

Hi Jason,
Well I bought  the gungnir through the shciit website and that was the moment you had problems with the metal, about 4 weeks ago, audioadvisor had and I got it, how can I do in my case? cause I don't think my unit has the upgrade! thanks in advance.

May 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #19 of 69
Quote:
Yep, it includes the sticker.

I've just installed the upgrade, but my board didn't come with a sticker.  Will the sticker arrive separately?  Have you go any guidance on where it should be placed once I receive it?

May 1, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #21 of 69
Quote:
Too soon for impressions?  I'm thinking about giving this a go.

So far it sounds great!  But then, it sounded great before the upgrade too.  I'm gonna let it burn in overnight before I make any serious comparisons.

May 1, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 69
Too soon for impressions?  I'm thinking about giving this a go.

Ok, I really was going to wait to let it burn in before I commented. But already, after only an hour, I'm noticing improvements.

I'm reminded of the last time I upgraded my amp, even though this is the same amp! The bass seems punchier, heftier, yet also more taut and nimble. I'm noting that little things like the decay of reverb sound more natural, more organic if you will.

This is very nice!

Of course, obviously I can't do any direct A/B comparisons, the old analog card isn't installed anymore. Also, I should mention that I'm not listening through my headphone setup, the Bifrost Über is feeding my NAD C375BEE, which is driving my B&W 804s speakers.

May 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #23 of 69
Do you charge me when I place the order for the upgrade, or when you ship it back?

What is the current turnaround time for both the USB and analog upgrading?

May 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #25 of 69
Quote:
Ok, I really was going to wait to let it burn in before I commented. But already, after only an hour, I'm noticing improvements.

I'm reminded of the last time I upgraded my amp, even though this is the same amp! The bass seems punchier, heftier, yet also more taut and nimble. I'm noting that little things like the decay of reverb sound more natural, more organic if you will.

This is very nice!

Of course, obviously I can't do any direct A/B comparisons, the old analog card isn't installed anymore. Also, I should mention that I'm not listening through my headphone setup, the Bifrost Über is feeding my NAD C375BEE, which is driving my B&W 804s speakers.

Just installed and have been listening to my usual test albums. After a bit into a few Puscifer songs from the album "Conditions of my Parole" I could easily discern a nicer shimmer on cymbals...first time I've liked their sound. Also, I agree whole heartedly on the bass impressions. Puscifer usually has heavy bass lines and I had a goofy smile on my face on a few songs Really impressive bass. I'm also noticing a lot more micro details and better separation. Vocals also grab my attention and sound more fleshed out and have nice texture, really adds to the realism. Truly is a refinement over the original Bifrost. Can only imagine improvements with burn in. I have a good 200 hrs on the older card, curious to see what will improve with time on this card. For the record I'm listening through HE-500's and an EF-5 amp. Worth $70? Of course!   I'd expect these improvements if I purchased an entirely new and higher price bracket DAC.  This upgrade is a no-brainer. 

May 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #26 of 69
Mine was delivered to Schiit today....will get it back next week.  YOU'RE KILLING ME SPARDA !!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy !!!!!

May 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #27 of 69
I like the way schiit does business, they could have easily just released a DAC with the new board give it a cool name and sell like hot cakes.
They weren't lying about the whole upgradable thing.
By early impressions it seems this is like getting a whole new DAC by just a fraction of the price.

May 2, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #29 of 69
Just installed my uber analog upgrade card.  I ran into two minor issues.  One of the screws which holds the stock analog board in place had a screw head which was stripped.  I'm guessing the factory assembler overlooked this one. Had to take out the whole metal cylinder from the bottom instead before finally figuring out how to take the damaged screw out.  2nd minor issue was aligning the led lights with the 3 holes.  What I did was install the board to the outer metal shell first, then align and insert the led lights to its hole using my fingers, then install the rear case.  The weight distribution of the circuit board is not even so be very careful handling it as it can tip off your hand and drop.  Also take off the outer shell before taking the rear board off.  

Sound quality has gone up.  There is more clarity everywhere and bass seems meatier.  My setup is Biforst->Marantz PM8004->Gallo Classico CL-3.  I have not tested it with my headphones yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back