Pokemon appreciation thread
May 26, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 20
X is fun. Though I still long for another extensive game ala Gold/Silver. I should probably pick up one of those remakes.

May 26, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #4 of 20
I know. Still want another game with the scope of Silver/Gold. But I do like me some Ruby and Sapphire. :D

May 26, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 20
I personally don't like the Pokemon from Black and White or X and Y because I kinda think they ran out of ideas. Hoenn or Sinnoh are probably my favorite regions. I like Hoenn because of the Pokemon and Sinnoh because there's a lot to do. Pokemon Contests,etc..

May 26, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 20
What's your favorite game? I'm assuming Silver and Gold on the Gameboy?
smily_headphones1.gif

Pretty much. I kind of like what they did in X and Y, though. Especially since the designs feel interesting. I may also want to check out Black and White.

But yeah, Gold and Silver for me. I'd like another Pokemon game with that depth of content.

May 30, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 20
Sep 3, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 20
Fully agree. Back then the pokemon ideas were still fresh and somewhat original. 16 badges, night/day, 251 pokemon, great music. 

Way late to the forum but I completely agree 2nd Gen was my favorite by a large margin followed by Platinum

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 20
Why do people like this series so much? To me it seems like a standard JRPG. You collect a party. Grind a ton to level them up and gain abilities. Then take down enemies with that party.
Except it lacks the story aspect almost completely.

Sep 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #13 of 20
Why do people like this series so much? To me it seems like a standard JRPG. You collect a party. Grind a ton to level them up and gain abilities. Then take down enemies with that party.
Except it lacks the story aspect almost completely.
There are two problems with JRPGs:

1. The stories are generally love them or hate them. As a westerner, I always feel like something is lost in translation, resulting in some strange storylines (See my favorite JRPG series, Kingdom Hearts).

2. The combat system is ancient. I generally avoid JRPGs because they use turn based systems for combat, grinding the action to a halt, and the fancy animations only make the turn taking more frustrating.

Pokemon, IMO, improves upon JRPGs by minimizing the story elements. You have a set of goal, but you don't really have to pay attention to the dialog beyond finding the next whatzit to continue. It also improves upon the combat system by letting you build your own team from hundreds of available "characters." There are, literally, thousands of combinations that all work. That, I think, is probably the biggest appeal to the series.

And to the conversation as a whole, I think the Gen 1 > Gen 2 jump was the biggest in terms of value. There have been some good system upgrades since (which is why I enjoyed FireRed and SoulSilver), but I'm always put off by the creeping number of Pokemon. I would much rather see the same faces with new battle systems than 100 new pokemon including 38 new legendaries...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back