Pokémon XY Appreciation & Discussion Thread
Nov 4, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 5
For those who're into the competitive scene, how are the battle mechanics playing out like? Thoughts, etc? I've stopped following the old Smogon speculation thread, so I'm wondering about how the metagame's turning out to be.

Xerneas is so versatile, looks like it can hit fast. I usually test waters and ladder with speculated-Ubers because things there usually don't get too shaken up, it's not like they find Blaziken every gen, then move on to when UU and other tiers get established properly. But I really do want to make a team based on him based sheerly on aesthetics, seems they're sticking with the speed racing tendencies?

In terms of the actual game, I doubt I'd be doing a speed run, seems like there's too many things to customize. In-game tier list looks intriguing. Looks unbalanced as heck, but intriguing.

Last gen I jumped right in with a pre-order of the Japanese version of B&W (both), this gen I'm thinking of taking it slow, waiting until some common ground is established, until I set out to do a playthrough. The fact that I'm not really in the market for a 3DS also contributes to this. Not expecting an emulator soon, if ever. There's also the fact that I have a tradition of marathoning the whole game, extras and all, with no sleep, no rest, just straight playthough, and I can't really find the time to do that anymore. I think I took half a week off from work because of B&W2, which tied in together with an extra long holiday, making for the best marathon ever. It just wouldn't feel right if I did it bit by bit.

One big problem is that the art for the generic new entries (that is, apart from any Uber/Megas) has taken a nosedive for me, looks as CAP/DIY as heck, I'm sure people have heard more than enough on this. Actually, the flatness reminds me of an infamous hack mod, Quartz. The focus on the Gen I and a lot of the old art is very nice though, just more polish every gen, no complaints.

Seems like the capture rate on the mascots are so high, that master balls usage has increased? That's glorious.

Some really trite ponderings, but it's all I can go with right now, since still waiting for Showdown to get its act together so that I can cobble a team without borkups, we can talk about playing the actual game later.

Nov 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #3 of 5
  For those who're into the competitive scene, how are the battle mechanics playing out like? Thoughts, etc? I've stopped following the old Smogon speculation thread, so I'm wondering about how the metagame's turning out to be.

Xerneas is so versatile, looks like it can hit fast. I usually test waters and ladder with speculated-Ubers because things there usually don't get too shaken up, it's not like they find Blaziken every gen, then move on to when UU and other tiers get established properly. But I really do want to make a team based on him based sheerly on aesthetics, seems they're sticking with the speed racing tendencies?

In terms of the actual game, I doubt I'd be doing a speed run, seems like there's too many things to customize. In-game tier list looks intriguing. Looks unbalanced as heck, but intriguing.

Last gen I jumped right in with a pre-order of the Japanese version of B&W (both), this gen I'm thinking of taking it slow, waiting until some common ground is established, until I set out to do a playthrough. The fact that I'm not really in the market for a 3DS also contributes to this. Not expecting an emulator soon, if ever. There's also the fact that I have a tradition of marathoning the whole game, extras and all, with no sleep, no rest, just straight playthough, and I can't really find the time to do that anymore. I think I took half a week off from work because of B&W2, which tied in together with an extra long holiday, making for the best marathon ever. It just wouldn't feel right if I did it bit by bit.

One big problem is that the art for the generic new entries (that is, apart from any Uber/Megas) has taken a nosedive for me, looks as CAP/DIY as heck, I'm sure people have heard more than enough on this. Actually, the flatness reminds me of an infamous hack mod, Quartz. The focus on the Gen I and a lot of the old art is very nice though, just more polish every gen, no complaints.

Seems like the capture rate on the mascots are so high, that master balls usage has increased? That's glorious.

Some really trite ponderings, but it's all I can go with right now, since still waiting for Showdown to get its act together so that I can cobble a team without borkups, we can talk about playing the actual game later.

The metagame is rather impressive with this gen, and surprisingly, I think there are probably more players worldwide this time round, than we've had on any other Pokemon games. With the battle mechanics, it had been improved immensely, seeing that we actually get constant animations all the time. Something such as the move "Brave Bird" has gotten pretty advanced. You could probably YouTube some Pokemon battles (online), and you'll see how it all comes together. People like these, will demonstrate fine battles online, with showing of the mechanics. (http://www.youtube.com/user/shofu?feature=watch) / (http://www.youtube.com/user/pokeaimMD)

Xerneas, although being quite pretty, isn't my cup of tea due to being an uber. 

As of Blaziken, he's back, available worldwide (event) on X and Y, with his Hidden Ability, Speed Boost. He is set for the Ubers in that respect, although he was always in Ubers to begin with. 

Yeah, I remember White/White2/Black/Black2. EV training in those games was just so troublesome. In X and Y, there's this new function, called, "Super-training", and it is pretty much what all hard-working EV trainer has been waiting for. Want to achieve your maxed EV's? Sure thing, that can now happen in under 3 hours.

The Quartz days, were the good days. That was a fun unofficial Pokemon game...I wouldn't say the capture rate is that high..it takes chance and luck. Shinies have never been easier to catch in this new gen.

In saying so, in the new gen, it's somewhat an even battlefield, seeing that everyone is starting fresh, whether it be the new or experienced. 

You play Showdown too? I should vs you one day:)

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Ah, by battle mechanics, meant more towards something like this (guess I answered myself there, I should really log on to Smogon more).

Only Ubers and UU, unfortunately.

Time will tell if the power creep affects that...stranger things have happened.

EV training was never as bad as people complained, good to hear it's gotten faster though. I hear RNG abuse was surmounted for the most part, and we have to use some Safari/park thingy?

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #5 of 5
Ah, by battle mechanics, meant more towards something like this (guess I answered myself there, I should really log on to Smogon more).

Only Ubers and UU, unfortunately.

Time will tell if the power creep affects that...stranger things have happened.

EV training was never as bad as people complained, good to hear it's gotten faster though. I hear RNG abuse was surmounted for the most part, and we have to use some Safari/park thingy?

Ahh, I see. Well yeah, like you said, you've just answered your own question:)

Yes, RNG abuse rates have never been higher with perfect IV Dittos.

The Safari function is for catching Pokemon with hidden abilities if I recall correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back