Poisoning the Next Generation
Mar 13, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 25
I've poisoned everyone around me!, lol first I got a pair of KSC-75 for my mom, dad and brothers, then for myself the GMP 8.35D, then an upgrade for my brother the HFI-780 and last week my dad got the pro 750! 0.o

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #17 of 25
My brother was extraordinarily impressed with my DT770/80pro when i got those last year. He didn't really care much for them though and started buying lenses for his newly purchased camera body :p. My dad liked my TF10's a LOT (although, he'll be sticking with his QC3's).

I plan on spreading the want for nicer headphones to my gf but she doesn't really use headphones at all soooooo... yeah :p

But that would be weird, kids walking around with grados rather than skullcandies :p

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that would be weird, kids walking around with grados rather than skullcandies :p

That's what I would do if I had a pair of Grados
biggrin.gif

(I'm 17, if that counts)

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #19 of 25
I also teach highschool, and I have let quite a few students listen to some of my headphones. They often have conversations about music and headphones, and I feel that it's our job to teach young people (that don't already) how to get the most out of the music that they listen to. They spend so much of their time listening to music, they might as well hear what it's actually supposed to sound like.

That said, I don't think it's our job to push them to buy $3000 worth of equipment. It's enough to get them to appreciate good sound enough to go out and buy a Grado 60i or Shure 440 or something else in that range. If they get into it, they will seek more out from there.

I've had a few students talking up their Skullcandies or Bose, and I always let them A/B with my Shures or Beyers. That usually ends that nonsense in a hurry.

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelpearce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also teach highschool, and I have let quite a few students listen to some of my headphones. They often have conversations about music and headphones, and I feel that it's our job to teach young people (that don't already) how to get the most out of the music that they listen to. They spend so much of their time listening to music, they might as well hear what it's actually supposed to sound like.

That said, I don't think it's our job to push them to buy $3000 worth of equipment. It's enough to get them to appreciate good sound enough to go out and buy a Grado 60i or Shure 440 or something else in that range. If they get into it, they will seek more out from there.

I've had a few students talking up their Skullcandies or Bose, and I always let them A/B with my Shures or Beyers. That usually ends that nonsense in a hurry.

I rage a little whenever anyone I know mentions the Beats, Bose, or Skullcandies. But let's also remember the iBuds that are extremely dominant in high school...
frown.gif

Whenever I mention Grado, AKG, beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, etc. I usually get strange stares from people. Only when I mention Sennheisers do I ever get some sort of positive response. And that happens maybe twice a year, if I'm lucky

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm 17 and I wear my SR80i + E5 to school o.o...and around town.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #24 of 25
Its very important not to push audio on people since sound is very much a personal thing, much like the taste of food. And actually, alot of the general population will still like the sound of their skullcandy and bose more then our audiophile type stuff. Consumer products have a specific type of sound that appeals to most people listening to pop music on their ipod or whatever. Many of these products aim to have an extremely overly punchy and excessive amount of bass, ive noticed. People like that type of thing.

Ive had many friends and many friends of friends come over to my house and Ill have my speakers or headphones playing. I dont say a single thing about how much they cost, how good they sound, etc... They will either pick it up and understand and comment how it sounds so "clean" and it sounds really good.

OR some people wont say a word and figure the speakers or headphones are nothing special. These types of people look at my Grados or Beyers and think they are just some old pair of headphones. Bang and Olufsen speakers? They never heard of them....

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #25 of 25
I have successfully poisoned all my friends, but I just make them more aware of good sound as opposed to the crappy headphones they are using. Then I help them find good phones for cheap like the portapros or MEE's. Then everyone is happy, and they don't catch the headphonitis that I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back