Poison injection successful...
Nov 5, 2011 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

noobzpro

100+ Head-Fier
So finally my urge for a ultimate homebound headphone rig has come....currently looking at hd800, lcd-2, lcd-3.....planning to spend about 2k for the headphone....and another 2k for an amplifier....so average about 3-4k for the whole setup....already have source so dont need for that....also within the price range isit possible to get a stax system? thanks in advance

Nov 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 8

Yep, not far from the top of the STAX tree either...

STAX SR-007A Mk II - brand new in box for $2,485USD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAX-SR-007A-MK-II-MK2-Electrostatic-Earspeakers-/200637928264#ht_4402wt_1160

You should be able to get a matching amp like the STAX SRM-600 Limited for $1500USD landed

http://www.pricejapan.com/front/e_result_goods.php?in_category=&in_maker=25

Even better, shop around and see if a dealer will bundle and drop a $100 off.

Under $4000USD and you're sorted for audio bliss. Good times ahead for ye.

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 8
I have heard the hd800 and the lcd-2......as of now i prefer the lcd-2.....but still kinda miss the 800.....the problems i felt were the amps used to demo 800 were not realy a perfect marriage.....so still open to 800 to demo with a perfect amp......have nvr heard the stax setup before....but the reviews all make it sound very epic.....thus i require also a amp recommendation for the 800

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
I have heard the hd800 and the lcd-2......as of now i prefer the lcd-2.....but still kinda miss the 800.....the problems i felt were the amps used to demo 800 were not realy a perfect marriage.....so still open to 800 to demo with a perfect amp......have nvr heard the stax setup before....but the reviews all make it sound very epic.....thus i require also a amp recommendation for the 800

Sennheiser HQ out here in Oz love to use Lehmann black cubes which are a nice
match ~ I like the Violectric V200 too,

Yet to hear one out of a WooAudio2 - The Eddie Current Deux is another
good one, very short listen but I liked what I heard on the Stan Getz
recording.

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Sennheiser HQ out here in Oz love to use Lehmann black cubes which are a nice
match ~ I like the Violectric V200 too,

Yet to hear one out of a WooAudio2 - The Eddie Current Deux is another
good one, very short listen but I liked what I heard on the Stan Getz
recording.

i tried it with the Lehmann at sennheiser "boutique" and it sucked badly imo.....currently looking at spl phonitor?? any body with 800 using it with em??

Nov 6, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
i tried it with the Lehmann at sennheiser "boutique" and it sucked badly imo.....currently looking at spl phonitor?? any body with 800 using it with em??

Check out Jude (Mr Head-Fi) review of the Phonitor via youtube - he mentions the HD800.

I'm just waiting on some Mogami XLR cable interconnect inputs from my retailer to use the one down there - can't wait.

The crossfeed settings should be a blast 
biggrin.gif
 Just remember that your DAC will need to be balanced too unless you
plan to use an XLR/RCA converter.

It's not a hugely powerful amp the Phonitor from the specs but that might not mean a thing.

Nov 8, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #8 of 8
im planning to go half balance....looking foward to piccolino xD......but still im not in a hurry as im going to army soon.....so maybe i might just wait till sennheiser launches an update....thanks anyways

Users who are viewing this thread

Back