Point of diminishing returns???
Apr 23, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #46 of 52
One truly great thing about this place is that there are so many knowlegable posters who willing share their opinions and experiences. Truly, I appreciate all the replies and you've given me a great deal to consider and think about. It's something akin to space travel. The wonder about what else is out there and is it worth the effort and expense to get there hence the title "Point of diminishing returns".

Thanks folks. Even though I've not met many of you, I truly consider you friends and valuable sources of information. Your help is greatly appreciated!!

Apr 23, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #47 of 52
Ken W,

happy to have found the site. In lieu of your already impressive list of audio bits, I feel that any changes will border on diminishing returns. I very much align myself with the recommendations of other users to shift your focus to music. I will share one story about diminishing returns and is related to one bit of equipment you already own. Recently I sought to improve the quality of my Apple Power Book G4 performance with my headphone amplifier by implementing a Bel Canto DAC2 outboard Digital to Analog converter. After completing several comparisons, it became clear that what I was witnessing was the point of diminishing returns. I had realized that the proper voicing and engineering by the amplifier's designers was already done and that it was doing everything just right. I discontinued the usage of the DAC2 shortly thereafter. Ultimately I had lost sight of the single thread that connects us all as audiophiles--the enjoyment of music. I think your work is already done.

Best,
iDesign

Apr 23, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #48 of 52
Its kinda scary to think how much money us guy drop on audio gear. Presently my girlfriend is not speaking to me after hearing I dropped nearly 3k on a cd player for my bedroom. I keep vowing to not to revisit this site and to cancel my audio mag subcriptions but I enjoy the stuff to much. Despite this and the fact I am on my third complete set-up since last summer, I am thinking about hitting the bank for around $10k for some good used speakers and two E.A.R V20's. Then again its about knowing when to stop and I do not know when, I am suffering a serious case of buyers remorse at the moment
confused.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasonharkin
Its kinda scary to think how much money us guy drop on audio gear. Presently my girlfriend is not speaking to me after hearing I dropped nearly 3k on a cd player for my bedroom. I keep vowing to not to revisit this site and to cancel my audio mag subcriptions but I enjoy the stuff to much. Despite this and the fact I am on my third complete set-up since last summer, I am thinking about hitting the bank for around $10k for some good used speakers and two E.A.R V20's. Then again its about knowing when to stop and I do not know when, I am suffering a serious case of buyers remorse at the moment
confused.gif

If by "hitting the bank" you mean borrowing money to buy that equipment, you might want to reread what you posted and think about whether you may have a problem.

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #50 of 52
Not really a problem since I earn a good salary, I would rather blow my money on audio gear rather than cars etc

Apr 24, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #51 of 52
Ken, thanks for the clarification about the Ayre model number/letters.
wink.gif

Quote:

Presently my girlfriend is not speaking to me after hearing I dropped nearly 3k on a cd player for my bedroom.

She is probably jealous that you spent X on a CD player, but haven't bought her something nice.

If you have a problem spending too much on audio or feel you do that is a sign that you shouldn't ignore. I've spent more in the last year on audio stuff then I've ever done before, well, beside expensive guitars, but most of it is a result of realizing the gains that can be made and that I heard first hand moving up the audio chain. Yet, I am at a point where I need to take a break and enjoy my current set-up instead of hunting for the next great thing to buy or at minimum I now sell one thing to offset the acquisition of another.

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Not really a problem since I earn a good salary, I would rather blow my money on audio gear rather than cars etc

Music broadens your mind. Equipment just spends your money.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back