Point me in the right direction
Sep 6, 2015 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

rarrior

Head-Fier
I am this close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Hifiman HE-400. Either new on Amazon or a set of HE-400s here used for about the same price.

Most reviews have lead me to understand that these are the best value as far as full-size headphones go, obviously not convenient if I wanted to use them for traveling or portability. My main plan is to use them at home.

My question is then, did I miss something in researching headphones? Is there another full-size headphone that would be as good as the HE-400 but more portable. Sennheiser, for some reason, don't really appeal to me, looks wise mainly. I've considered AKG or Audio-technica but I just feel like there's another option out there that might be better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: Forgot to say what I will be using the headphones with. Currently I have a iBasso DX50 and a FiiO E11k amp.

Sep 6, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 18
Im in the Same boat, I have a set of T90s but just want something different. If i could afford to i would keeps these and get my next set but alas i cannot. I was looking that the HE-400s alot, my only concerns being the Quality of the build, its not that important, but $250 is $250... got a look at Some Phillips Fidelio X2's that seem to be a very decent headset for around that price, and those that have them seem to love them. I have a set of AT50x that i use for guitar recording, but they don't measure up IMO to the HP were talking here. 

I personally loved the HD-650s i had previous to the T90s, and they traveled well for me, even though like you state you will use them mostly at home. 

Im still looking for another options well before i move on from my T90s, as well....

Sep 6, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 18
I've definitely considered almost every different headphone Beyerdynamic offers, but I wasn't quite sure which one would pair best with the DX50 and the E11k, or if they would be as good as the HE-400s. The Beyerdynamics also look like they stick out quite a bit, which I realize the HE-400s are massive but they're still somewhat flat against your ears.

I've considered Grados and the Fidelio's as well. I really wish there was a place close to me in which I could try them but Hi-Fi audio doesn't have much of a market in South Dakota.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 18
Any suggestions? I've read a few more posts and reviews that keep leaning me towards the HE-400 but I just want to make sure before. I'm still unsure about having an open back headphone, just in case I want to use them while traveling.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #5 of 18
In the ranks (based on my own preference, that is) of headphones I have owned, the Yamaha HPH-MT220 (which is closed-back and has a nondetachable coiled cable, but is definitely more lightweight and portable than HIFIMAN) is a few notches above the HIFIMAN HE400i. I have not heard the HE400, but most say that the HE400i sounds significantly better. I like STAX Lambdas (a series of headphones) even more due to their transparency and realism, but they're not portable at all and you would have to get one (along with either an electrostatic headphone amplifier or an electrostatic converter powered by a speaker amp) on the used market to be within your budget. I still prefer the MT220 in terms of its bass, impact, and engaging sound.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 18
The HE-400s look good but I would go with AKG K712 Pro because they look a lot better and might be more comfortable. If you reach the moon why care about the stars, any headphones that are well made should do fine.

Sep 11, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 18
The HE-400s look good but I would go with AKG K712 Pro because they look a lot better and might be more comfortable. If you reach the moon why care about the stars, any headphones that are well made should do fine.

Sound signature is the most important part, though. We all have things we are inclined to dislike.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 18
The ears shall become accustomed to the sound of the headphones and life will go on, but how should I know without trying expensive headphones? I will get an expensive set soon and I know it will be a massive loss of money and I will not notice: sparkling + organic midrange, extended bass in the lowest frequencies etc. But life is about experience.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 18
The ears shall become accustomed to the sound of the headphones and life will go on, but how should I know without trying expensive headphones? I will get an expensive set soon and I know it will be a massive loss of money and I will not notice: sparkling + organic midrange, extended bass in the lowest frequencies etc. But life is about experience.

True, but what I'm saying is that it's impossible to know whether any given person will like any given headphone. Some headphones -- even high-end ones -- are unbearable for me to listen to, while others sound good, but don't impress me, and there are even affordable headphones that have impressed me more than much more expensive ones. So which headphone are you getting soon? Just curious. I'm pretty sure you'll notice its differences compared to other headphones. You can see stuff I've owned on my profile.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 18
Beyerdynamic t1 second generation, I liked their dt990 so I am giving their new flagship a chance. I sincerely hope there is a difference that justify their price. I wear an expensive watch but without it's sentimental value, it is just a prohibitive indulgence, I hope the t1 headphones don't fall in that category. I admire people who test equipment and headphones, they can appreciate the slight differences in sound just like people who taste bottled bottled water, for them it is not just water or sound it is life. I wish I was like that, it would be really cool.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 18
Beyerdynamic t1 second generation, I liked their dt990 so I am giving their new flagship a chance. I sincerely hope there is a difference that justify their price. I wear an expensive watch but without it's sentimental value, it is just a prohibitive indulgence, I hope the t1 headphones don't fall in that category. I admire people who test equipment and headphones, they can appreciate the slight differences in sound just like people who taste bottled bottled water, for them it is not just water or sound it is life. I wish I was like that, it would be really cool.

Nice. hehe, I'm like that. I spend most of my money on headphones. With many headphones, the differences are huge, not slight.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #12 of 18

True, but what I'm saying is that it's impossible to know whether any given person will like any given headphone. Some headphones -- even high-end ones -- are unbearable for me to listen to, while others sound good, but don't impress me, and there are even affordable headphones that have impressed me more than much more expensive ones. So which headphone are you getting soon? Just curious. I'm pretty sure you'll notice its differences compared to other headphones. You can see stuff I've owned on my profile.

This is the worst part, I can read review after review after review and it is still up to my own experience that will determine how good they are. I've been back and forth on the AKG 553's, the HE-400's or the MT220's. Eventually I feel I'll just go with 1 of the 3 but until then I'll just keep contemplating it. I don't do a whole lot of traveling but if I wanted to I'd like to take whichever headphones I get on the road or in the air.

I do have the MEElectronics M6 Pro's for traveling as well but there's something about being completely immersed in a full-size headphone that appeals to me.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 18
Relax! They are just headphones, pick up a pair that you feel good about and don't waste your time, one day you will try many headphones and pick up a pair that you like. Look for comfort first and then sound and don't expect too much, this way you will feel better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back