Point me in the direction to learn how to build/modify things...
Mar 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

joemg

New Head-Fier
I want to do this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/129132/adding-coaxial-s-pdif-to-the-m-audio-transit

I'm a very technical person with moderate electrical knowledge. Point me in the direction of how to teach myself what I need to know to start on a small project like that or upgrading components in existing electronics to better quality ones and move towards the likes of building DACs and Tube amps down the road.

For starters... what is this type of skill-set called, is it electrical engineering or is it called something else? Any links/books I should check out?

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
I want to do this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/129132/adding-coaxial-s-pdif-to-the-m-audio-transit
I'm a very technical person with moderate electrical knowledge. Point me in the direction of how to teach myself what I need to know to start on a small project like that or upgrading components in existing electronics to better quality ones and move towards the likes of building DACs and Tube amps down the road.
For starters... what is this type of skill-set called, is it electrical engineering or is it called something else? Any links/books I should check out?

Awesome link! I have been looking (casually) for those little transformers for a while.

I'm not exactly sure what to call this. Definitely not electrical engineering. 

Anyways, the normal advice on how to start is to buy a cheap electronics kit or the parts for a Cmoy and build it. You can find info for the Cmoy on Tangent's page and there are DIY kits all over the place.

After the Cmoy or a kit you move on to bigger and more complicated projects. Stuff that requires you to make more decisions, and decisions that will have larger impacts on the sound. 

Read everything you can on the subject - even for amps you dont want to build. You may find info that is very valuable down the road. If you dont understand it bookmark it and come back to it later. 

If you are generally comfy with hand tools you should have no problems picking this up. 

When you start moving away from well documented projects things get harder but the challenge is very rewarding. As you decide which way to go (maybe even different directions of different projects) there is tons of info available on that somewhere.  The foundation from easier projects really helps here. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 10
Yes, it's called electrical engineering. The particular branch you've expressed an interest in is often called electronics. The design of power stations is also electrical engineering, but it's not electronics.

You could sign up for the MIT online course 6.002x, but you'll need some physics and maths as a prerequisite. http://mitx.mit.edu/. This will give you a solid foundation at the expense of studying what can seem to be very simple circuits, like a battery + lightbulb.

You could buy the book 'The Art of Electronics' by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, which is a very accessible book on the subject if you are technically inclined.

Electronics is a massive subject and it commonly takes some years to get a sufficient grasp to design successfully. The subject is complicated by the huge variety of components which perform basically the same function but handle different amounts of power, different frequencies, or have other differentiating subtle characteristics. It takes time to become familiar with with what is available and to understand why one type is preferred over another in a given situation. I don't mean to put you off, but typical 3-year graduates emerge insufficiently qualified to design their way out of a paper bag.

That said, it's not impossible for an enthusiast to become a self-taught expert, but you need to ask a lot of questions and be prepared for some embarrassing blunders.

Unfortunately there's no real substitute for the hard graft involved in learning to calculate basic circuit parameters. If the subject turns out to engage you, however, it can be a lot of fun.

Good luck.

w

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #6 of 10
Two things:

1. We have that transformer on the SkeletonDAC:  The SkeletonDAC is designed to be built as a SPDIF convertor alone, as a DAC, or as a DAC with a separate SPDIF convertor.  It's quite a bit cheaper than the M-Audio Transit.

2. I know the M-Audio Transit well, and I have one.  Unfortunately, the thread you gave in that link was started back in 2005.  The M-Audio Transit has not had a truly workable driver since Windows XP.  You may be able to make it work as a sound card in a limited fashion, but many of its features simply won't work on Windows Vista or Windows 7.  I keep a small netbook PC around with Windows XP on it to run my RMAA tests on amps and DACs - it simply won't work as a testing device with any later OS. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #8 of 10
odd... I have it working fine with ASIO in Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.   I used the Win7 SP1 x64 driver and used Orca MSI editor to remove the OS check.  Works like a charm.

24/96 or 16, 24 / 44.1

Since I already have it, i was hoping to mod it (makes for a fun project to learn with)

Quote:
Two things:

1. We have that transformer on the SkeletonDAC:  The SkeletonDAC is designed to be built as a SPDIF convertor alone, as a DAC, or as a DAC with a separate SPDIF convertor.  It's quite a bit cheaper than the M-Audio Transit.

2. I know the M-Audio Transit well, and I have one.  Unfortunately, the thread you gave in that link was started back in 2005.  The M-Audio Transit has not had a truly workable driver since Windows XP.  You may be able to make it work as a sound card in a limited fashion, but many of its features simply won't work on Windows Vista or Windows 7.  I keep a small netbook PC around with Windows XP on it to run my RMAA tests on amps and DACs - it simply won't work as a testing device with any later OS. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
odd... I have it working fine with ASIO in Windows Server 2008 R2 x64.   I used the Win7 SP1 x64 driver and used Orca MSI editor to remove the OS check.  Works like a charm.

24/96 or 16, 24 / 44.1

Since I already have it, i was hoping to mod it (makes for a fun project to learn with)

Have you tried to record with it and can you adjust the recording level?  Maybe they have a better driver than the last time I checked, but this was a well known issue and was all over the Internet for several years - many frustrated customers, including me.  Anyway, if it works for you - go for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Can't speak to that... I only use it for output.

Quote:
Have you tried to record with it and can you adjust the recording level?  Maybe they have a better driver than the last time I checked, but this was a well known issue and was all over the Internet for several years - many frustrated customers, including me.  Anyway, if it works for you - go for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back