Pocket Reference Black - detailed pics
May 30, 2004 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

kcaesthete

100+ Head-Fier
As requested, here are some images of my recently received black LaRocco Pocket Reference. Enjoy.

oblique.jpg

engraving.jpg

front_top.jpg

sizecomparison.jpg

top_face.jpg

[size=xx-small]Images Copyright (c) 2004 Mike Oetting
All Rights Reserved[/size]

May 30, 2004 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 47
kcaesthete,

Thank you for posting those images of the LaRocco Pocket Reference! I am considering buying one to replace my Heardroom Total Airhead, but have a concern on the size. In looking at your picture with the tin of Altoids, it appears that you would equal just about 2 and 1/2 tins. Would this be correct in terms of size? Also, what has been your initial experience with the unit? Thanks in advance for lending a hand with my questions!

Jester
280smile.gif

May 30, 2004 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 47
Lovely amp, kcaesthete!! Congrats! I put your pics in the gallery, too...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
kcaesthete,

Thank you for posting those images of the LaRocco Pocket Reference! I am considering buying one to replace my Heardroom Total Airhead, but have a concern on the size. In looking at your picture with the tin of Altoids, it appears that you would equal just about 2 and 1/2 tins. Would this be correct in terms of size? Also, what has been your initial experience with the unit? Thanks in advance for lending a hand with my questions!

Jester
280smile.gif

Yes, it's about 2.5 altoids cans in terms of length and width. In terms of height, it's about 1.5 altoids cans. Also, it's heavier than it looks.

I'm still forming my impressions of the sound quality.

May 30, 2004 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 47
it's an awesome machine, but if portability is what you're looking for, you should consider something else, the pr is quite heavy and big, i thought it was smaller untill i opened my shipping box

May 30, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kcaesthete
Yes, it's about 2.5 altoids cans in terms of length and width. In terms of height, it's about 1.5 altoids cans. Also, it's heavier than it looks.

I'm still forming my impressions of the sound quality.

Hmmm...I am buying this unit to hit the road with me. I spend 3-4 days a week on an airplane and want the best sound quality I can take along with me. Size is a concern which is why I asked the intial question. The amp is quite a bit bigger than I expected. Is the amp on the border of not being portable due to size and weight?

May 30, 2004 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef
it's an awesome machine, but if portability is what you're looking for, you should consider something else, the pr is quite heavy and big, i thought it was smaller untill i opened my shipping box

Your post came in right after I sent of my last one
280smile.gif
(sorry for the double post). Yes as I mentioned in my previous post the amp that I select needs to be as compact as possible. With that said, I am willing to pay the bucks for amazing sound quality.

Any and all recommendations would be most welcome!

May 30, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 47
if ultimate portability is what you are looking for, i don't think the PR is it. it's a bit too big (though not terribly so), but more than that, it's really heavy. it's definitely sturdy and solid so in that sense it is great for travel, but not in terms of size. you might want to look at a meta, a well-made cmoy, or one of xin's amp.

May 30, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
Your post came in right after I sent of my last one
280smile.gif
(sorry for the double post). Yes as I mentioned in my previous post the amp that I select needs to be as compact as possible. With that said, I am willing to pay the bucks for amazing sound quality.

Any and all recommendations would be most welcome!

Perhaps the SR-71 is closer to what you're looking for:

sr_71.jpg

May 30, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Perhaps the SR-71 is closer to what you're looking for:

sr_71.jpg

Hmmm...does it pack mucho sound quality into a small package? Also, who makes this little beast?

May 30, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 47
Ray Samuels makes the SR-71, and as I said in your other thread, yes, there is a TON of sound coming out of that little package. The Pocket Reference might not be an inconceivable choice for you, either--you could easily do that in a carry on bag. Of course, the verdict is still out on sound between the two.

May 30, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #13 of 47
Thank you JMT and oneeyedhobbit for responding. I have an email into Todd regarding the SR-71. I hope that I am not to far down the list if I place an order!
280smile.gif

May 30, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #15 of 47
OK. You're going to hate me for this
evil_smiley.gif
:

1. The vertical part of the L in the logo looks a little funny.
2. The two contacts look unaligned due to what seems like one going down further than the other.

Maybe it's just the pictures...

Otherwise it looks very nice. I must admit that the black finish is cool
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back