Pocket PC MP3/Ogg/MP3Pro/WMA?
Apr 26, 2003 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

elgoog

New Head-Fier
I have a Toshiba e335 with which I am VERY happy. I have about 30 MB to burn for MP3s, so I am curious what I should use for the best compression quality for the size. Of course, I would like to fit at least one album on this space, and no, extra memory is not an option. What format (OGG/MP3/MP3Pro/WMA) do all of you think I should use to play my music collection? (I listen to classical music & light/alternative like REM.)

Apr 26, 2003 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 13
It supports all these formats? Only wma and mp3pro are really designed for extremely large compression (small files) from your list and between the two I think mp3pro is considered as doing the better job. I use it for audiobooks. I also had problems with wma's when I used to be in the Windows world. If mp3pro isn't supported go wma. If wma doesn't work out go ogg. Mp3 is last for extreme compression, though it's the best of the list at the other end. Check Hydrogen Audio for more info.

Apr 27, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 13
WMP for Pocket PC supports MP3Pro, WMA, and MP3, and I can get a player that supports ogg easily.
A couple of more questions. Are there any other compression schemes I should look at? Also, what program provides the best conversion quality?

Apr 27, 2003 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by elgoog
WMP for Pocket PC supports MP3Pro, WMA, and MP3, and I can get a player that supports ogg easily.
A couple of more questions. Are there any other compression schemes I should look at? Also, what program provides the best conversion quality?

Not sure how this will impact Pocket PC's, but Apple is going to have a big announcement Monday that will probably involve a music service and updated iPods or iPod firmware. Reports are that the service is going to based on mp4 (aac). It's focus is the same as wma and mp3pro. Maybe better, maybe not. If you want to check out samples visit here. The 40k sound pretty good for the kps.

Apr 28, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 13
I have a pda with a 3rd party OS (not palm or PPC, its a Casio BE300 with expod gold as its OS), and it supports ogg.

I'm sure it should be easy to find software that supports ogg for the PPC.

Although i'm not sure how quality would be. I just tried converting an album pretty small and it sounded horrible. It was about 56mb for 60min in variable ogg (64kbs lowest, 80kbs medial, 96kbs max). Not very good, so fitting it into 30mb is iffy.

I would sugguest filling that 30mb with anime videos. With 30mb you can fit a decent quality 22min divx anime episode on there ( i watch Love Hina and Get Backers all the time on my PDA).

Apr 28, 2003 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 13
Want something a heck of a lot better than Windows Media Player on your PocketPC? Pocket MVP (Music and Video Player) plays MP3 and OGG music formats, DiVX 3.11, Divx 4, DiVX 5, Open DiVX, Xvid, MPEG1, VP3
It rocks and can be found at:
http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/index.htm
It's turned my HP1910 into a music and video machine!

Apr 28, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 13
ya that is the program i use on my PDA. Its really awesome works great. I only wish equalizer settings would work on OGG's. The output of my PDA is too loud, and with mp3's i can use the equalizer to lower the gain by 20db, but it doesn't work with OGG's.

Quote:

Originally posted by utdeep
Want something a heck of a lot better than Windows Media Player on your PocketPC? Pocket MVP (Music and Video Player) plays MP3 and OGG music formats, DiVX 3.11, Divx 4, DiVX 5, Open DiVX, Xvid, MPEG1, VP3
It rocks and can be found at:
http://home.adelphia.net/~mdukette/index.htm
It's turned my HP1910 into a music and video machine!

Apr 29, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 13
i have the toshiba e740 and, well, i tried using it as a music player but the amazingly high noise level and screechy sound really kills everything... even though i have a 256mb card that i initially bought thinking that i could use my pda as an mp3 player also...
frown.gif

Apr 29, 2003 at 8:38 AM Post #10 of 13
My Dell Axim 5 + PocketMVP + 256MB SD card =
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Yes, I use PocketMVP, and I actually have put an entire 15 minutes of the Simpsons on my e335. Playback quality does degrade over time though, I suppose it's because your cache is being used up or something.
I tested the quality of 32Kbps WMA vs 32Kbps MP3Pro, and WMA wins hands down for classical music. Yes, unfortunately I concede to MicroShaft for this one. WMA is ever so slightly larger, and it's kind of tinny for vocals, but MP3Pro has a lot of background hissing too.
So, on for the OGG test. I haven't had a lot of luck with fancy encoders, so does anyone know a really good, FREE one out there? Also, what quality would you reccomend to compete with a 32Kbps WMA?
Thanks.

Apr 29, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #12 of 13
CDex is a easy to use OGG encoder. I don't think its the best ogg encoder out there, but its very simple to use (jlo mein = lazy
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

hehe 512mb cf card for pda = full length movies at decent quality
biggrin.gif
.....and i only paid $110US for it on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back