Pocket amp v2 or this one ?
Jun 9, 2005 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tayano

100+ Head-Fier
I Want an amp for my westone um2,the are low-impadance.

I'm considering between Pocket amp 2 v2,i've spoken to gary.

Or this one.
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123002

Is it good ? To wich well-known amp does it compare to ?

I'm new to amps,so if you have other options for around 100 $ you're welcome,

PS. I've been searching for used supermini v7/supermarco but I don't find one who's not sold in the "for sale-forum"

Jun 9, 2005 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 10
The Pocket Amp 2 is a nice sounding amp offering a lot of value for its price. My phones are all low impedance and the PA2 drives them easily and I suspect it can be challenged by much higher impedances. The PA2 is atypical in being a low voltage amp but its sound does not suffer for it. The PA2 has a powerful sound which is very well suited for high energy forms of music. Contained in a very durable and professional grade plastic enclosure, its overall build quality is very nice. It is very small and can easily be put in a pocket. As far as sound quality goes, suffice it to say that it does produce quality output and beyond that, it qualities are subjective. There are many threads you can search for on Headfi that describe its sonic characteristics in greater detail.

Owing to its low voltage requirement, the PA2 is very economical and convenient to use, making it a very nice portable amp. It runs on two rechargeable NiMh AA batteries which you install when you get the amp. The amp has a built-in recharging circuit and includes the wall wart to recharge the batteries. After installing the batteries, you can close up the amp and forget about the batteries for a couple of years until they can no longer hold a charge. The wall wart can even be used to power the amp from AC, a feature generally found only on amps costing significantly more.

Another major difference with respect to some competing products is that the PA2 cannot be easily modified with optional opamps. The "cmoy" derived products such as the one you provided a link to generally have socketed opamps, allowing the user to interchange them for other compatible opamps, thus tailoring the sonic characteristics. The PA2 is of a different philosophy, being more for the music listening end user who cares little about the technology behind it. Fortunately, the chosen circuitry for the PA2 is very listenable.

With regard to the amp you linked to, not knowing who built it, it is impossible to speak to its quality. Spec-wise, it appears to be on par with a MINT grade amp, which is to say that has a more sophisticated circuit design than the PA2. Build quality appears to be very nice. How this translates to sound quality is again subjective and though more complex, cannot necessarily be deemed to be superior without an audition.

Finally, with the PA2 you have Gary's support which in my experience has been excellent. While my PA2 has been operating as expected in the two months I have had it, I have no doubt that Gary would stand behind it if there were a problem. While the other amp you are looking at appears to be a well made, more advanced amp, it might be a bit riskier from a customer service point of view.

Since this is your first amp, my suggestion would be to go with a Pocket Amp. A new PA2 will cost roughly half of what the other amp is going for. It will certainly give you a strong taste of what amplification can do for your setup. I imagine you could return it if you found it not to your liking, but my suspicion is that you will find it to be a nice entry point into portable amps. For what it offers at its price, its a good deal.

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Buy it, enjoy it, forget that you ever came to this forum.

otherwise,
sorry about your wallet.

p.s. I have a PA2V1 and liked it a lot but then the upgrade bug hit so it was time to move on.

Jun 9, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Not hearing either amp it is hard to say, but looking at the amp in the picture, it seems rather large for a practical portable unit. It looks well built though and might make a suitable home/transportable amp.

Jun 9, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
I've been concidering the same for my ER-6is, Gary seems very nice and reliable...

I've got the earlier model Ety's, the ER6's. Essentially, they don't have the boosted bass that the 6i has and they are of higher impedance at 48 ohm (still considered low impedance, though). If anything, the ER6's would probably be a bit more challenging to an amp than the portable player minded 6i. Nevertheless, they work very well with the PA2 and produce all the volume I typically need at around 40% of the max volume knob rotation. In general, Ety's benefit big from an amp and the PA2 does bring out more of what they are capable.

Yes, Gary is reliable and seems very dedicated about the continued refinement and owner satisfaction with his products.

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayano
how about this one
http://www.z-audio.com/epsilon.html

Can't find any review of it.

But doesn't z-audio have a good reputation ?

I'm very happy with the pocket amp, although I don't have anything else to compare it with. It seems like a good "starter" amp anyway.

About the z-audio -- they have a few different models. Did you do a search for it on this forum?

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
I'm very happy with the pocket amp, although I don't have anything else to compare it with. It seems like a good "starter" amp anyway.

About the z-audio -- they have a few different models. Did you do a search for it on this forum?

Yes,but I don't find much ...Is z-audio MU good ? Or is it overkill for Westone um2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back