Pocket Amp by Electric Avenues
Feb 1, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #16 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
Just ordered one myself too. It's number 506 or something on the page, Michael L. It should be here today, i'm hoping. Ordered it on Friday. Also my first step into amps. Going with my A900's and AV710, both new. Everything is new for me.
biggrin.gif

I'll let you guys know how they come out.

Just FYI, but I'm #499, I live in Canada, and I haven't received mine yet.. so I think you have a few more days
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #19 of 92
Greenman_Belg
HI: To burn in the PocketAmp2 V2. I put in 2 rechargeable batt and turned on the amp with the wal-wart plugged in with my source plugged in and my Senn. 590 plugged into the amp and let play for 100 hours continually.

Feb 1, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #20 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
HI: I just thought that I would memtion that a 100 hour burn in makes a big difference,

Interesting, I am sure mine is nowhere near that number of hours yet, how does the sound change...

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
Greenman_Belg
HI: To burn in the PocketAmp2 V2. I put in 2 rechargeable batt and turned on the amp with the wal-wart plugged in with my source plugged in and my Senn. 590 plugged into the amp and let play for 100 hours continually.

Thanks for that LTUCCI1924, I'll take that onboard when the amp arrives in lovely Belgium!!!

Feb 2, 2005 at 3:10 AM Post #22 of 92
hi,

Just discovered this thread about the PocketAmp - very timely, since I got mine in the mail today.
smily_headphones1.gif

As vbmechanic, I was also impatiently waiting for it to come, it's my first amp and I was really looking forward to trying it out.

Early impressions:

- Gary is indeed a nice guy, very polite and quick on replying to any email.

- The amp is small, very nicely finished, and has many interesting features, like the built in battery recharger, AC adapter included in the price, etc.

- I am very impressed that it can drive my Senns HD425, older models with 600 Ohms impedance, and the volume is fine. I am using only a fraction of the power it can output.

I was wondering about the burn in too, and will follow LTucci's suggested method.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice amp, affordable price, portable to boot. And a helpful seller to boot.

Feb 2, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #23 of 92
yea i emailed Gary yesterday after i got my mail. bills, newsletters, coupons. no amp. argjoisasaohdada. haha, he said about 5-10 days from Canada. So between Friday and Monday I'm hoping. too excited.

as far as burn in, i'd probably listen to it anyway while it burned in, just let it keep running when i'm not there.

Feb 2, 2005 at 2:41 PM Post #24 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin
yea i emailed Gary yesterday after i got my mail. bills, newsletters, coupons. no amp. argjoisasaohdada. haha, he said about 5-10 days from Canada. So between Friday and Monday I'm hoping. too excited.

as far as burn in, i'd probably listen to it anyway while it burned in, just let it keep running when i'm not there.

Tell us how you get on with the Pocket Amp 2 and your impressions.
I'm playing the waiting game!!!

Feb 2, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #25 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
How's the backround noise on the PA2V2? The web site claims it's silent at any volume:
On this PA2V1 that's definately not the case, the background noise is noticable, with low impedance headphones (16 to 32 Ohm) it's actually hissy even at normal (quiet) listening volume, with high impedance headphones(300) the noise isn't evident until the volume is set above my normal listening volume, but it's there.

Also, having the charger plugged in while playing adds even more noise. Is the noise issue really fixed with the V2?

There is hiss on all phones when cranked. Not as much as ipod or panasonic cdp headphone out cranked, but yes still there. I don't really hear it at all until about 6:00 for grado's and 9:00 for akg 401, both levels are much louder than I would listen to.

I haven't really listened with the ac adaptor, but that that issue seems to have been addressed in this thread.

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #26 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by midlife
There is hiss on all phones when cranked. Not as much as ipod or panasonic cdp headphone out cranked, but yes still there. I don't really hear it at all until about 6:00 for grado's and 9:00 for akg 401, both levels are much louder than I would listen to.

I haven't really listened with the ac adaptor, but that that issue seems to have been addressed in this thread.

How well is it driving the k401?

Feb 2, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #27 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
How well is it driving the k401?

Not as well as my MAD EAR + tube amp, but overall pretty well. Lot's of volume and it fleshes out the bass a bit, but these phones only really bloom with a better amp. Tubes don't hurt either.
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #28 of 92
My Pocket Amp 2 arrived today in sunny Belgium and I delighted!!!

For an entry level amp I give it the thumbs up.

Gary is a very nice guy and I give him full marks on his service!!!

Another happy camper and wallet still intact!!!!

Feb 25, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #30 of 92
The amp noise isn't a major concern to my ears. I get hiss if I turn PA 2 full on, but in reality, I never use it full on.

Try turning the amp volume up to the point where hiss appears and then back off a bit and adjust the volume via the mp3 player. You'll be surprised how low an in put you need if you use it this way although Gary says it is best to adjust mp3 to 50-60% and use the volume control on the PA2, even to attenuate the signal.

My PA2 has made an enormous difference to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back