PMP with good music capabilities
Jan 8, 2008 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ZarakiSan

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, it's been a while. So, I purchased an iPod last summer, and, well, I can't watch movies on it. They're too small, and I use Rockbox.

Rockbox. Yeah, that spoiled me somewhat. I love the qeueing on the device, I love making on the go playlists, and I like the sound quality. I have some good headphones (Beyerdynamic DT880 2005 250Ohm) and no amp, and though I won't be using it much (My Sennheiser CX300's get the use on the go), I want the player at least to be capable of some sound quality as well.

So, I want a MPM with 30 gigs or more of storage. Most liable one I'd get is the A3. But it's very expensive for me, and I don't want to that badly. I'd consider the A2, but it's 'old', and there's no tag-browsing. Are there extensive A3 reviews yet?

So, I was thinking of an Archos 605 30-gig. But, I heard that the sound quality isn't exactly good, and that's what I certainly don't want. I also don't have a credit card, so the WIFI would be pretty much wasted. The last part really sucks.

The Creative ZVW isn´t exactly a device I heard a lot about, either. It´s huge, and I don´t like the MTP.

So, anything left that´s not obscenely hard to get, or extremely expensive?

Jan 8, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 10
The Archos AV60X series apparently tends to have a low audible hiss when using sensitive phones such as IEMs but this hiss tends to be much less noticeable wit h less sensitive, larger phones.

I also don't remember the numbers, but I believe there are a couple of models in Archos's current lineup that have all the features of the WiFi models, just without the WiFi.

Jan 8, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Archos AV60X series apparently tends to have a low audible hiss when using sensitive phones such as IEMs but this hiss tends to be much less noticeable wit h less sensitive, larger phones.

I also don't remember the numbers, but I believe there are a couple of models in Archos's current lineup that have all the features of the WiFi models, just without the WiFi.

I'm not a fan of hiss. You see, the iPod normaly has some as well, and it aggrevates me quite a bit. It's a shame. -Sigh- Also figured out that the A3 likely doesn't have tag-based browsing/database.

This is just...Stupid. There's nothing good anymore!

Jan 9, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 10
I have a Archos 605 30 gig. I get no hiss out of the the player. The volume is a lil low, but not too bad. The Archos has a beautiful screen, and all my ipod touch videos (except those bought from the itunes store)work perfect. I actual use a pair of zune V2 premium phones with it, about the best snergy I've Found with the player. The Archos also bookmarks as well. I would recommend the portable battery dock with it, has a line out for better sound, and charges the unit faster. Plus it will play any format you throw at it. its not strictly a audiophile DAP, but for overall use its probably the best PMP out there.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by orl2222 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Archos 605 30 gig. I get no hiss out of the the player. The volume is a lil low, but not too bad. The Archos has a beautiful screen, and all my ipod touch videos (except those bought from the itunes store)work perfect. I actual use a pair of zune V2 premium phones with it, about the best snergy I've Found with the player. The Archos also bookmarks as well. I would recommend the portable battery dock with it, has a line out for better sound, and charges the unit faster. Plus it will play any format you throw at it. its not strictly a audiophile DAP, but for overall use its probably the best PMP out there.

Is the battery dock output only a line out? And have yiu any idea on how it sounds?

I'm rather worried about hiss, and I don't have an amp (yet), so it's somewhat a pain.

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by orl2222 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how is the archos in terms of SQ straight from the player? helpful EQ or not? i'm debating between this and the cowon a3 as well.

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 10
They make it in 32gb now for a resonable price solid state (flash)
biggish screen good battery life.
Maybe its what you seek maybe not.
In any event my two cents.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #9 of 10
Hello, fellow 605 owner
wink.gif
I have internet, the podcast, and the cinema plugin, and a battery dock with mine. It's definately true that the battery dock sounds better, if at least louder, I also find it pleasant. But, my current in-ears (CX300's) are happy just being amped by my CMOY. Therefore, since it's a huge pocket-bother, I'm not using the battery dock while on the move.

I'm considering getting a flash player for size and good sound, and nothing but music on it. Not sure what to pick, but I'll see about that later. Maybe one of those Sony 818's, great looking player. But not enough memory for me.

Maybe a D2, but it's a bit expensive. I'll think about it. P2 is also sexy, but same deal - only 8 gigs.

Maybe I should just get some better IEMs.

Feb 6, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 10
Zaraki: You're forgetting that the D2 has a built-in SDHC slot, so you can easily buy an 8GB or 16GB SDHC card (whose prices are dropping like crazy), and upgrade a 8GB D2 to 24GB. A 32GB SDHC card is also coming soon, so you can do the math as to how much capacity a D2 can have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back