PMB-500, an older electrostat
Mar 1, 2008 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

digitalmind

Headphoneus Supremus
Earlier this week, I found an advert on a local auction site for a PMB-500. I didn't know what it was, so naturally I searched for it on Google and Head-Fi. Hardly any information came up, but I noticed that the man behind the Jecklin's also worked on these so I bought it without hearing it.

I picked it up today and am listening to it as I write this post. Much too early to comment on it much, but it remids me strongly of the limited time I spent with a Jecklin Float at a meet, and also a bit of my K1000 that I sold some time ago.

There was a crackle and slight buzz in the left channel, so either the driver had some dust on it, needed a bit of time to settle. It hasn't been used in a long, long time according to the seller, who is also the original buyer. Great guy by the way, an audiophile from the beginning who stopped playing with high end gear and moved to cars a few years back. Rob, if you read this, thanks for the coffee, it was indeed much better than the usual stuff!

If the driver was dead, the headphone could be tossed out. I can't imagine spare parts being available. So, I cleaned it inside and out, took out a bunch of dust, and shots some pictures along the way. Seems like cleaning it solved the buzz.
smily_headphones1.gif

What I know about it is this:
There's also a PMB-100 and PMB-1000, the latter being the bigger brother and the first being the little tyke of the family.
It's an electrostat, and has a transformer box that comes with it which features dual outputs. It needs a speaker amplifier to work.
It's supremely comfortable.

I'll get a listening impression on them later after spending more time with them, but I don't have another decent headphone to compare them to anymore.

Either way, here are the pictures. I'd love to get some more information about them! Note that the pictures are taken before and during the cleaning -- it's much cleaner now. Not in perfect shape though, but I think some sanding and repainting will take care of most of the blemishes.

1.jpg

The C and T or Electrostat are faded, but can still be read, though they dissapeared in the picture.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Scratches. I will probably repaint this.

4.jpg

Dusty, but the leather pads are in amazing shape for it's age.

5.jpg

Pads are self adhesive. Here showing the 4 screws that need to be removed in order to open up.

6.jpg

Number 28! Out of how many?

7.jpg

Drivers exposed.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

The drivers.

11.jpg

The driver of the left earpiece, with the felt removed. Removing it has to be done extremely carefully, as it's glued onto the metal and very fragile.

12.jpg

The transformer box. Still need to clean this one, when I do I'll also take some shots of the inside.

I'd love to have some more information on these headphones. Spec sheets, manuals, etc are all very very welcome. Information about production years and numbers, original pricing, or how it came to be and by whom it was designed would be great to have. Any information that might be floating between the members here is appreciated. Krmathis has posted some information about them in the Curse thread already.

Thanks for looking!
Rik

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #2 of 23
I've been waiting for some pics of these.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's certainly different from the original Floats with a new driver design.

The buzz in the driver could be as simple as a hair or a dust particle causing a short but can be a sign that they were overdriven with the burnt parts of the membrane causing shorts. I've seen both, but it is most likely a hair or some dust. Can you post a close up of the drivers for me?

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been waiting for some pics of these.
smily_headphones1.gif
It's certainly different from the original Floats with a new driver design.

The buzz in the driver could be as simple as a hair or a dust particle causing a short but can be a sign that they were overdriven with the burnt parts of the membrane causing shorts. I've seen both, but it is most likely a hair or some dust. Can you post a close up of the drivers for me?

So I'm right in that they are designed by the Jecklin crew?

The buzz was indeed dust, it's solved now. Dead quiet.
smily_headphones1.gif

The drivers themselves are glued to the metal grill, and can't be removed. The rear of the driver has a piece of plastic (the white in the pictures) over it. The picture I have is the best I can do, unfortunatly. I do of course have htem in higher resolution, will post them later tonight. Gotta get some food in me first.

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 23
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

The MB Quart PMB 500 and PMB 1000 electrostatics are among the most rare headphones out there. I can't remember ever seeing one on Head-Fi.

Really nice pictures. Looks to be in really nice condition, except for the minor scratched, and hopefully you will be able to clean them up properly.
Can't wait for some detailed impressions...

Here are some technical specifications from the brochure:
mbquartqi4.png

More from the brochure:
mbquartpmbzy0.png

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 23
I have been in contact with a Senior Product Manager at MB Quart.
He sent me a PDF of the original PMB 500 and PMB 1000 brochure, and told me that they were produced between 1983 and 1987. Unfortunately he did not remember their sales price.

Thats all I know about them.

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I'm right in that they are designed by the Jecklin crew?

The buzz was indeed dust, it's solved now. Dead quiet.
smily_headphones1.gif

The drivers themselves are glued to the metal grill, and can't be removed. The rear of the driver has a piece of plastic (the white in the pictures) over it. The picture I have is the best I can do, unfortunatly. I do of course have htem in higher resolution, will post them later tonight. Gotta get some food in me first.

The frame is based on a Jecklin design but I think the drivers weren't designed by him. The original Floats used ancient RTR drivers intended for speakers as tweeters and later models simply copied that design. The design was from the 50's and a rip off of original drivers made by the great A.A.Janszen.

Good to hear is was only dust. I'd love to get a closeup of the drivers so I can see how they were made and the materials used. A cropped version of the above pic is perfectly fine.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #8 of 23
Thanks guys, great info!
Krmathis, the brochure, would you mind posting it in it's full (if there's more)?
The seller told me he bought the PMB-500 around '86 for he thought (but wasn't sure) something around fl.960. That would be roughly €450, but then 20 years ago. Expensive suckers they were!

Spritzer, here are the shots that I have of the drivers in their full resolution:

http://www.iamrik.com/pmb500/driver1.jpg
http://www.iamrik.com/pmb500/driver2.jpg
http://www.iamrik.com/pmb500/driver3.jpg

Don't think they'll be of much use though.
frown.gif

The stuff they used to lock the bolts with was applied a bit badly, I removed the little places where it leaked away from the bolts.

I've been listening to the headphones for four CD's straight: Portishead - Portishead, Radiohead - Kid A, Robert Plant & Allison Kraus - Raising Sand, and Roger Waters - The Pro's and Cons of Hitchhiking, so I think I can give a bit better view on the sound.

They don't go very deep. The bass is definitely there and with enough punch to provide a solid low end, but I think I may be missing out on the lowest of octaves. However, I've been listening to bass-heavy speakers for a few weeks now, so my view on that might be a bit skewed.
Vocals sound great, plenty of detail and timbre in voices. I'm thinking it may be better with female voices than my speakers, which is something to say since I'm particularly fond of how the Jordan JX92s produces vocals.
Much the same with instruments. This is where low to mid-end reproducers usually fall short, by only producing the tones and not the instrument themselves. The PMB-500 doesn't suffer from that same problem, it has a real sense of texture for stringed instruments.
They don't get confused quickly with trickier and busy music, and are able to keep a good seperation of the instruments. Soundstaging isn't good -- but then again, I've been listening to speakers and nothing else for about two months now, so it'll take some getting used to the 'behind and above' feeling of headphones.
The PMB-500 is intolerable to clipping. You'll hear it if the recording is bad.

For sheer musical quality and the technical side of things, these keep up with my speakers. Will I listen to my speakers less? No -- I won't be able to miss the actual punch in the chest and the soundstage. At the very least though, I have a just as good system to use at night. Two weeks from now is the date of another Head-Fi meet here in Holland with plenty of serious high end gear to compare it to (including Ergo's!), that should be good fun.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Indeed! Did you miss out?
Sorry about nabbing it away before you could get to it.
frown.gif

He never even reacted yet. I doubt if he will (Groningen..
redface.gif
...).
I asked him to ship it to me, I guess that was to much trouble.
Good to see it got in good hands.
cool.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He never even reacted yet. I doubt if he will (Groningen..
redface.gif
...).
I asked him to ship it to me, I guess that was to much trouble.
Good to see it got in good hands.
cool.gif

I called him wednesday, he was indeed against sending it by post as he was afraid that it would get damaged. They are fragile things.

Thanks, it's in decent hands I hope. So long as I don't destroy it while trying to restore it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 23
Thanks for the pictures. I'm not at all surprised that they are lacking in bass due to the mounting of the drivers and possible baffle leak. It's the same problem with the original Floats as the drivers are quite good but so much of the energy gets lost in the housing. Still these look to be better built though.

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Thanks guys, great info!
Krmathis, the brochure, would you mind posting it in it's full (if there's more)?

There are nothing more to the brochure than I have posted.
I can send the PDF to you though, if your want it. Just PM me you email address.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the pictures. I'm not at all surprised that they are lacking in bass due to the mounting of the drivers and possible baffle leak. It's the same problem with the original Floats as the drivers are quite good but so much of the energy gets lost in the housing. Still these look to be better built though.

That's the odd thing, it feels like it's lacking but it does have a pretty solid low end. It just doesn't reach quite as deep as it should/could. It's not a HD-650 in the area of solid punch in the lows, but it's not bright or obviously lacking either. I'm having difficulty choosing another headphone that sounds the same in the lows, though perhaps the K1000 is a bit alike in soundsignature for the bass. Could be that I'm used to a bass heavy sound signature... I'll find out at the meet how it compares against other headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Adding extra padding / a thicker outside padding could then improve bass (though at the cost of the rest)? Placing hands over the outside vents doesn't seem to do much for the lows. I'm slightly afraid of mucking about with it, since 'stats are more fragile and replacements are obviously nonexistant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are nothing more to the brochure than I have posted.
I can send the PDF to you though, if your want it. Just PM me you email address.

Ah, ok. I can do without the PDF then, but I'll shoot you a PM anyhow. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back