PM alert and other usability problems
May 11, 2010 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

elliot42

500+ Head-Fier
I'd like to report a problem with PM alerting, and some other issues I'm having with usability.

When a new PM comes in, I get an alert dialog in Chrome notifying me and clicking OK takes me to my inbox. But this alert is also displayed when I'm already on the PM inbox page, so I have to click Cancel to dismiss it as clicking OK will just reload the same page.
What I would expect to happen is when I'm on the inbox page I get no alert dialog and the new PM is just ajax refreshed on the page.
An option to turn off the alert completely would be a nice addition, too.

Another issue I have is the size of the OK and Cancel buttons in many of the overlayed dialogs that pop up for sending a PM, uploading a picture, etc. They are tiny. The borders of the buttons are squished right to the bounds of the contained text, there is no padding or minimum dimensions.

And finally, for now, the style buttons in this WYSIWYG editor only work when I have text selected. I can't decide to type something italic, click "I", type it, click "I" again to turn italic off, it doesn't work. I have to type what I want, select the text, then click "I". But then if I type anything right after that text, the format is still in italics and the only way I can get rid of it is to type something, select it, and click "I" do disable italics.
It is also a pain to HAVE to move my hands from the keyboard and use a mouse or trackpad to select text and click buttons to change style. I know there's the Source button, but that really doesn't cut it as an alternative to BBCode, as I have to type my own div and br tags. I'm very competent with HTML, but having to type ALL the HTML for a post isn't a good solution / alternative to BBCode.

EDIT - And I'd like to add a feature request. I've been using the activity feed to view recent posts on the forum and have to repeatedly click the MORE button to get, well, more. What would be nice is the option to automatically load the next bunch of items when I scroll past a certain point, similar to what Google Reader does.

May 13, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 2
I posted this elsewhere, but thought it is relevant to duplicate here in the Feedback forum.
Hopefully there's someone reading this thread, and hopefully someone close to Huddler engineering staff?

The biggest problem I see in having such a heavy reliance on AJAX is that this breaks a fundamental rule of web publishing and accessibility. A web site should be able to cater for all possible users; this includes allowing access to at least basic web site functionality and navigation, without the need for JavaScript and even without the need for images. This is to cater for people in all types of situations, including people without access to new computers or fast Internet access (people do still use 56k dialup) and as such have JS and/or images disabled for performance, visually impaired users that rely on img alt tags to be able to use text-to-speech programs for navigation, anyone accessing from a mobile device (of which there are many judging by the feedback everywhere).

For reference, an article about poor accessibility and some real-world effects: http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking/nz-firms-risk-lawsuits-over-poor-websites/2005/05/16/1116095885248.html
I'm not suggesting Head-fi is going to be sued or anything (it may lose some members), but I'd like to highlight the great importance of accessibility. As well as the trend of letting it go by the wayside in favour of 'shinyness'.

A good example is when I tried turning JavaScript off and then tried to post a reply. I could see a plain text area to type in and had a Submit button, but it did nothing to submit the form as all it did was try to call a JS function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back