Plz share your experience with NTE electronics
May 15, 2004 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 10
We've used their parts at work for years and haven't had any problems. I would recommend them.

May 15, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 10
The only problem with the product that I can find is that you are paying sometimes $2.50-$3- for a $.26-$.50 part. If you are only buying a few pieces it is OK; but if you need any quantities go with Mouser, Digikey, or some other wholesaler.
600smile.gif

May 16, 2004 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkHead
thx for your feedback guys, well then i guess ill go buy some.Oh and Sewer Guy- why are they so expensive?! here(israel) theyr much cheaper.

NTE is primarily in the business of selling parts to hobbyists and service technicians (as replacement parts), and not for production use. Thus they are set up with
relatively fancy packing for display on store shelves, etc., and are priced to sell
in small quantities. Their parts are mostly used as "substitutes" for other brands.

-Ti

May 16, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
NTE is primarily in the business of selling parts to hobbyists and service technicians (as replacement parts), and not for production use. Thus they are set up with
relatively fancy packing for display on store shelves, etc., and are priced to sell
in small quantities. Their parts are mostly used as "substitutes" for other brands.

-Ti

so basicly ur saying i could do better?!

May 16, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #7 of 10
The parts quality is no better or worse than other brands, you're simply paying more for the convenience of being able to walk into an electronics store and have a aisle full of NTE parts to choose from. If you have to buy by mail, then you would do better to use other brands (more choices of parts, lower price, etc), because NTE only offers some fairly generic substitutes.

For example, you won't find NTE equivalents of high-end op amps like the OP627/637 or the AD8610/8620. Nor do they offer such a complete selection of power MOSFETs like IRF or Hitachi.

-Ti

May 17, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #8 of 10
NTE quality is just the same as any other generic brand like Xicon or RadioShack stuff... its just mroe expensive. Xicon purhased through Mouser might be 90 cents for ten parts... RadioShack stuff might be $1.99 for 10... and NTE will be about $1.25 for 5 in my experience. My local electronics shop sells NTE stuff... and it is a good source for me if I need a certain value of something at the last minute. However, large quantities are quite expensive there. If the parts are widely available to you there at a decent price, go for them.

May 17, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 10
NTE is also good for finding obsolete parts. For instance, the old 2N2222A transistor (metal can, as opposed to the plastic PN2222A) is getting hard to find, but NTE still makes the NTE123 with similar specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back