Plz help me choose the correct Q value for and EQ peak filter
Oct 13, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #16 of 16
It looks like I would need to set my center frequency to 8KHz and then somewhere between -7 to -9db for the amount to reduce it by.
And there lies the danger, what it “looks like” and how you perceive it is not necessarily the same thing and that is even more the case in the high frequency range. Not only does the fit of the headphones quite significantly affect the high frequency range reaching your ear drums but your hearing/perception responds to the high frequency range quite unpredictably/unreliably, even between your ears and even with “normal” hearing. This is one of the reasons why typical audiograms don’t go higher than 8kHz, beyond that point we don’t get reliable/useful information.

In other words, what is your EQ goal? Is it to get a graph that looks like another graph, that was achieved with some sort of dummy head, or is it to achieve a sound that is applicable to your personal head/hearing and preferences? If it’s the latter, you are better ignoring what the graphs “look like” in the high freqs and doing it by ear. There’s a simple/efficient way of doing that we use professionally when correcting a perceived EQ peak but there’s no point explaining it if your goal is the former.

G

Users who are viewing this thread

Back