Plug Swan M10 Speaker to a TV with digital audio only
Jan 17, 2019 at 8:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bodosko

Head-Fier
I bought a new Samsung TV that has only optical digital audio output, it also has Bluetooth that can transmit the audio.
I want to connect the audio from my TV to my Swan M10 Speakers that I've always used, but the Swans just have analog audio line in (2 RCAs input).

What can I do? I know my options:
- Buy a Bluetooth audio receiver and plug to the speaker;
- Buy a SPDIF digital to analog converter and plug to the speaker;
- Buy a HDMI ARC audio splitter and plug to the speaker;

Which is the best option to not lose audio quality in the middle and still don't spend too much?

Is there any other alternative?
Buying another sound system is not an option.

Thanks!

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #2 of 5
Which is the best option to not lose audio quality in the middle and still don't spend too much?

Either of the wired options do not involve compression, but BT does. If you want absolutely lossless then either one of those will work, but audio only works from the HDTV via optical or HDMI ARC. Between the two, since the HDTV has optical output, you might as well use that for a more direct connection - no need to use an HDMI to optical converter between the HDTV and DAC. Just get a Schiit Modi3 and hook it up.

If you want convenience and your HDTV isn't a Smart TV then the BT DAC (assuming it isn't one that comes with optical input) allows you to use your phone, but of course if it is a Smart TV then you can just run a YouTube (or even Spotify if the HDTV has it) playlist if you want ambient music and control the playback from your phone.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #5 of 5
I bought a new Samsung TV that has only optical digital audio output, it also has Bluetooth that can transmit the audio.
I want to connect the audio from my TV to my Swan M10 Speakers that I've always used, but the Swans just have analog audio line in (2 RCAs input).

What can I do? I know my options:
- Buy a Bluetooth audio receiver and plug to the speaker;
- Buy a SPDIF digital to analog converter and plug to the speaker;
- Buy a HDMI ARC audio splitter and plug to the speaker;

Thanks!
I've used the FiiO D3 and it sounds surprisingly good for its price. There's also the D03K which is the upgraded version, but I haven't used that one. I don't think either one is still made (at any rate, they're not on FiiO's website), but it looks like they're still available on Amazon.
This one comes with a cheap-o optical cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back