PLEASE VOTE so that we can regain faith in the For Sale forums
May 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
In case you guys haven't noticed, the For Sale forums have been overtaken by brand new members selling stuff with very low post counts or posting 100 different "WTB" posts. This is making a real mess of this area of the forums.

We should be able to convince the "powers that be" on Head-Fi to change this policy if we all speak loudly enough!!

Please VOTE below:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/492242/minimum-for-sale-posting-requirements

THANK YOU!!

May 17, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 22
at one time there was a posting minimum and it simply encouraged new members to race to 50 posts. The simply meant that for many of the new members their initial posting behavior was "+1" , "times two" or other non content oriented posts. 

I am not if favor of a post minimum but am in favor of a minimum membership time, say 60 days, prior to even seeing the FS forums. This avoids the spam posts and you don't even know the FS forum is there until your 60th day.

I do encourage all that buy and sell in the FS forums to research the person you are dealing with. Most problems could be avoided if people did their homework.

My statement in this thread is my opinion and not reflective of my role as a mod

May 17, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 22
I reckon only members with 4000+ posts and also minimum 5 years of membership are allowed to use FOR SALE forum.
And to view the forum, you have to have at least 1500+ post and minimum 2 years of membership.
So that would be someone cool like me.

May 17, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
at one time there was a posting minimum and it simply encouraged new members to race to 50 posts. The simply meant that for many of the new members their initial posting behavior was "+1" , "times two" or other non content oriented posts. 

I am not if favor of a post minimum but am in favor of a minimum membership time, say 60 days, prior to even seeing the FS forums. This avoids the spam posts and you don't even know the FS forum is there until your 60th day.

I do encourage all that buy and sell in the FS forums to research the person you are dealing with. Most problems could be avoided if people did their homework.

My statement in this thread is my opinion and not reflective of my role as a mod

I'll support this, or any variation along these lines.

May 17, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 22
I agree with the time requirement.

But even that isn't foolproof. The only way to be completely safe would be to use some sort of escrow service, and those are both slow and expensive.

May 17, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 22
How about new members with little to no feedback first ship the item they are selling and the buyer pay upon receiving the item, this way we don't need to convince any here at head-fi, we all just adapt. Anyone can drum up a few hundred posts in less than a week, it won't limit the number fraudulent transactions only increase the amount of crap posts.

May 17, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:

brilliant.  I think this is a great idea.  It would also reinforce the notion that head-fi is a discussion forum, and not a for sale board.  And members would be rewarded with the option to buy/sell/trade used if they are interested enough to stick around. While it isn't fool proof because all you have to do is become a member and then wait 60 days, I do think it would cut out almost everyone who might come just to post something for sale and potentially rip someone off.  Most scammers aren't really planning to far in the future.  Also, it would make it so you couldn't land on a for sale thread form a google search, which would probably have a big impact.

May 17, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 22
i always thought that a good idea, if there was any reservation about a buyer or seller would be to simply request that the transaction be done through ebay.  That way you are much more likely to avoid issues and resolve any that come up.  Though, yes it does incur some small fees, but its better than getting ripped off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back