Please tell me what headphones to buy
Apr 7, 2023 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Schwibsi

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I have spent way to much time reading reviews on headphones, the technology behind them etc.. I ordered two Hifiman headphones to try HE400SE and Sundara (Amazon Warehouse deals) which both arrived defective (which turned me off of the brand).
So, I would be very happy if somebody could just tell me what to get to end my misery. :wink:

I want to use it with a Fiio K7 (which I have yet to order) while in the office (I have an office to myself, but relatively thin walls, so using speakers is not an option) and maybe some time down the line with a Fiio M11S.
I mostly listen to rock and piano music (baroque/romantic: Rachmaninoff/Chopin and the like). I have a Yamaha N1x Avant Grand digital grand which I play with AKG 712 Pro (which I kinda like), but the maximum output of the piano's amp does not get the volume up very high.
I do like them a little on the 'bassy' side, but not too much. I used to have Westone UM3x IEMs which I liked a lot.

As for the budget: I don't have strict restrictions on how much I can spend on the headphones. But I want to get the most out of the money. I'm also not opposed to buying used gear. So, if there is a 300$/€ headphone that you think will do the trick, that's ok. And if there is one for 500$/€ or 600$/€ that you think is so much better that it "makes sense" (if that's even possible) to spend that money, that would be fine, too. My dream scenario would to find 1,000$/€ that sound like 2,000$/€ headphones and I get them used for 500 :wink: (no, I'm not really that bad). But, I guess you get the point.

I'm really grateful for anything you can recommend.

Apr 7, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 20
Hi, if you want something neutral but still enjoyable, the Denon D5200, which is a closed back... about $300 used.

For an open back, I always recommend the Quad ERA-1 which should be sub $500 used. This is the more engaging headphone between the two.

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 20
Me: I hope @msing539 is not here recommending any Denon headphones
Open the thread: F*ck! :joy:

Just kidding Dave :)

My dream scenario would to find 1,000$/€ that sound like 2,000$/€ headphones and I get them used for 500 :wink: (no, I'm not really that bad). But, I guess you get the point.

If you price range is $1000 I can't recommend enough 4 headphones for a bit more, that is the sweet spot in my opinion:

Audeze LCD X
Focal Clear MG
HIfiman Arya (sorry you had bad experience with the company)
Sennheiser HD800s

These are easy o drive (at exception of the HD800s) so you should be fine with your Fiio DAP

For less that $1K Meze 109 is wonderful.

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 20
I like your sub $1k list my man, but you forgot the Denon D9200.

Apr 7, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #5 of 20
200_d.gif

Apr 7, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 20
Hey guys,

I have spent way to much time reading reviews on headphones, the technology behind them etc.. I ordered two Hifiman headphones to try HE400SE and Sundara (Amazon Warehouse deals) which both arrived defective (which turned me off of the brand).
So, I would be very happy if somebody could just tell me what to get to end my misery. :wink:

I want to use it with a Fiio K7 (which I have yet to order) while in the office (I have an office to myself, but relatively thin walls, so using speakers is not an option) and maybe some time down the line with a Fiio M11S.
I mostly listen to rock and piano music (baroque/romantic: Rachmaninoff/Chopin and the like). I have a Yamaha N1x Avant Grand digital grand which I play with AKG 712 Pro (which I kinda like), but the maximum output of the piano's amp does not get the volume up very high.
I do like them a little on the 'bassy' side, but not too much. I used to have Westone UM3x IEMs which I liked a lot.

As for the budget: I don't have strict restrictions on how much I can spend on the headphones. But I want to get the most out of the money. I'm also not opposed to buying used gear. So, if there is a 300$/€ headphone that you think will do the trick, that's ok. And if there is one for 500$/€ or 600$/€ that you think is so much better that it "makes sense" (if that's even possible) to spend that money, that would be fine, too. My dream scenario would to find 1,000$/€ that sound like 2,000$/€ headphones and I get them used for 500 :wink: (no, I'm not really that bad). But, I guess you get the point.

While I’m not a shill for HiFiMan I own a few ,HE-400,HE-400S,HE-500,HE-5XX,HE-6seV2,Sundara and Edition XS. Other than cables I haven‘t had a problem. I don’t know the Amazon Warehouse QC process but probably a defective unit sent back with out any QC checks.
A Edtion XS is close to what you are asking.

Apr 7, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #7 of 20
The music you like doesn't need super bass and wants detail in the midrange. Grados are magic for that, though they are perversely hard-wired and have a bass rolloff. If you can find a way to try them with free returns, whatever you can afford would be worth a try.

I am an evangelist for the ATH-R70X, which I chose after basically flipping a coin between those and Sundara. Boy am I happy with what I picked. Reviews said they're basically neutral with a little bass boost.

This review totally parallels my experience:
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

They benefit from amping but they sound fine out of my laptop. And yes the cable is extra-long. So what. They are also clear, natural and incredibly light and comfortable, even though I wear glasses. If you are in the USA the cheapest price is at Thomann; might be even better in Europe. They are price-fixed elsewhere at $350, and although Thomann adds shipping, it still comes to just a little over $300 in the US.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

There's a 30-day return policy. Just be careful (look at an unboxing vid) when you open the odd sleeve so you keep the packaging. Or don't -- you'll want to keep them anyway.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 20
IMHO the best deal on closed back at the moment is the Focal Elegia. I tried pad swapping and settled on the Dekoni Custom Stellia pads.

If you want that up front, clear mid-range “Grado Sound”, but with more bass and EXCELLENT comfort, I suggest the Meze 109 Pro.

Apr 8, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 20
Thank you guys for all your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
I took a look into all of them (reading reviews, looking at prices new and used offers).

@peterinvan you're going to laugh. I was just writing a post here asking about the Focal Elegia. I found a B-Stock offer shipped for 399€. Other offers were also in that ballpark.
I was wondering if there's a reason why they're marked down so much from their MSRP.

Other than the Elegia, I'm leaning towards the Meze 109 Pro and the Focal Clear MG. These are the ones where I can find reasonable B-stock or used offers. (and frankly, that I liked from a design standpoint) I also liked that people found them comfortable and good for daily use.

I think, I'll also go for a pair of Meze 99 Classics if I can find a used one. They seem to be very good value and as they're closed back they could work well for train rides and maybe also with the piano.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 20
Apr 9, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 20
I've narrowed it down I think, but am in a bit of a conundrum now.
I have an interesting offer for a Focal Clear (not MG) for 575€. I've read a lot about it: my worry is that it might be too "clear" (compared to the MG).
Or I could get a Focal Elegia for just under 300€.
I think the best offer I'll find for the Meze 109 will not be significantly cheaper than a Focal Clear MG (that I'll probably end up with at some point).
The used prices for the Hifiman Arya and the LCD-X seem quite high to me.

So, the question (which of course is impossible to answer): Should I wait until I find a good offer for a Focal Clear MG or go with the Focal Clear (not MG) or the Elegia now, and if I end up not being completely happy, trade up for a Focal Clear MG?

I'm curious what guys would do.

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #13 of 20
So, the question (which of course is impossible to answer): Should I wait until I find a good offer for a Focal Clear MG or go with the Focal Clear (not MG) or the Elegia now, and if I end up not being completely happy, trade up for a Focal Clear MG?

I'm curious what guys would do.
Would take a decent OG Clear over MG.
Quite a lot of money saved to roll some pads too.
Best of luck.

Never heard the Elegia though.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 20
@WorksUnit
Thanks a million! That's exactly what I needed to hear. I just pulled the trigger on the Focal Clear.

I hope you're aware that you're solely responsible if I end up not liking them.... Just kidding :wink:

Apr 9, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 20
575 euros is a pretty good price for the Clear OG and didn’t listen to them side by side but don’t remember a crazy difference between the two. I didn’t like the Elegia all that much but that is me . The 99 Classics are fairly bassy but also pretty comfortable and can run from just about anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back