Please suggset me <$200 cans that fill my requirements
Mar 2, 2010 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nalth

100+ Head-Fier
I apologize if this question has been answered before, but since I've been away fro Head-fi for quite some time and never really followed the full-size threads since I got my 701's about two years ago. I need a bit of help.

What would be a good set of cans that fill the following requirements?
  1. Non-fatiguing, I want to listen to them while I work.
  2. Has a decent amount of bass. Not to much though, but definitely more than the 701's
  3. Price: ~ 200USD or less
  4. Can be powered by a decent amp (~ 200USD or less)
  5. Since they will be used at my workstation, they need to offer some amount of isolation from the outside world and won't leak so they bother others.
  6. Be comfortable.

Thank you very much!
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Hm, was my question too simple or too hard?

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 7
Pro 750?

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 7
SRH840? K271? Why not use your IEM's at work?

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 7
Haven't heard the Pro 750, they might do the trick. Otherwise under 200$ cans, the SRH840 & K271 have their strengths and weaknesses (I have both)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nalth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[*] Non-fatiguing, I want to listen to them while I work.

SRH840s are more intense and fatiguing than K271
Quote:

[*] Has a decent amount of bass. Not to much though, but definitely more than the 701's

SRH840s have much more bass (maybe too much) and K271s have lean bass to my ears. It's a toss-up
Quote:

[*] Can be powered by a decent amp (~ 200USD or less)

SRH840 definitely win here
Quote:

[*] Since they will be used at my workstation, they need to offer some amount of isolation from the outside world and won't leak so they bother others..

Both excel at isolation & blocking sound leakage
Quote:

[*] Be comfortable.

Both are comfortable, but K271 have less pressure and are more comfortable if you wear glasses. The SRH840 are massive though if that matters to you.

I'd say the SRH840 has the edge given your criteria (mostly because of the big drop in sound quality of K271 with a portable amp). If you can spend more and can stand iems, SE530 really excel in all these categories, don't need an amp at all (but do better with a good dac) and are what I use at work. Consider also D2000, which might sound better (my D5000 sounds better than the other two), does well with portable amps but do not offer great isolation/sound blockage. They also cost more than 200$, but get a cheap amp/dac (udac) and that will probably give you the best sound for your budget.

Good luck
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 7
Thank you for the recommendations so far. I planned on using IEM's to begin with, but I now find it a bit too inconvenient. I.e., co-workers might not notice the IEM's and start talking to me, they can bee too isolating, they are harder to fit/take out. However, I suppose I would get more value out of the IEM option.

Mar 3, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 7
There is also the HD 25 I II. No amp required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back