Please suggest sources for capacitors for Stax SRM-1/MK2 re-cap
Jul 9, 2011 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

soldermizer

New Head-Fier
Hi folks, the Soldermizing itch has started again...I am in possession of a Stax SRM-1/Mk 2 "energizer" that, apparently, is in perfect working condition. Still, that is no reason not to screw with it! Elsewhere here, I found guides to such things as re-biasing the unit (mine is a tad off), and thanks to (uh...) the person who pointed me to a schematic of this unit. The SRM-1 looks fairly basic and is within reach of my admittedly dodgy soldering skills. I would like to, at minimum, replace the power supply caps. Also, there are 13 (to my count) little caps that could be replaced. I would like to replace them with good quality caps but not the crazy expensive ones (besides, a PIO won't fit!) ... I understand that the power supply electrolytics are the top priority. Any suggestions for buying the film/other caps? Also a parts list would be great if anyone has one to share.

Uh, let's see, don't touch the hot end of the soldering iron, and avoid the metal parts of the those big cylindrical things in the box ... :cool:

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 3
You can source the caps from your favourite electronics parts supplier. Mouser tends to be one of the more popular ones.

Just check the voltage rating and capacitance from the schematic, and see if you can crack open that bad boy to check the lead pitch. Just stick with good brands like Panasonic, Nippon chemi-con, CDE etc. I would advise strongly against sourcing parts from Ebay as there may be counterfeits walking about, and you certainly want none of that in high voltage applications (or any application for that matter.

All that's left is to bang up a search on Mouser and away you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back