Please Stop the Buzzing in my Head
Nov 5, 2001 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
After an unfortunate accident that sent both me and my HD 580's soaring through the air, my headphones, as expected, have not been as kind to me as they were previously. The left earphone has acquired a slight rattle when music is bassy and loud. This is not really noticeable on most of what I listen to, except for my ambient recordings. If I turn on the megabass (heavens no!!!), it is easily heard. Despite their graceful takeoff from my desk, the cans had a rather awkward crash landing. This probably knocked something loose. Is there anything to be done about this? Is factory repair an option? Would it even be worth it for something this minor? I await your advice.
Stuart

Nov 5, 2001 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi Stuartr,

I dont own a pair of the 580's but it may be wise to have Sennheiser repair them especially if they are under warranty.

George

Nov 6, 2001 at 5:43 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks guys, I will check out Sennheiser's site. I don't think it is still under warranty, and I doubt I could find the receipt (I am really bad about that stuff...it usually goes straight to the garbage
rolleyes.gif
), but maybe they would be willing to fix it for a small charge. It is not really an issue for now though, because I will not be in the states for any length of time until the summer. I will definitely look into it though.
Thanks,
Stu

Nov 7, 2001 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 12
Hey Stu,

Great Avatar of Shostakovich. I'm a huge fan. Love Nabokov as well...you're 2 for 2. Do you like Alfred Schnitke? btw, I'm burning in my V6's (which arrived today) with Shostakovich Symphony #7 right now!

Nov 7, 2001 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Roll-man --
Yeah, Shostakovich is excellent. I wrote my senior thesis on him. Particularly, how he used his music as a method of encoded dissidence against the Soviet regime. Eighty-five pages of FUN!!!
wink.gif
That picture is taken from the first day of the 1948 Union of Composers Congress....the one in which everyone's favorite desecrator of art and Stalinist sycophant, Andrei Zhdanov, criticized Shostie for formalism. Shostakovich fielded the criticisms deftly, but still got burnt. Hence his rather intense appearance in the photo. Anyway, I have not listened to much Schnittke yet, but he is the next logical step in musical evolution, so I will have to soon. While we are completely off topic, I wonder what your favorite snippet of Nabokov is? I think my favorite is probably Invitation to a Beheading . Well, thanks for the comments...and good choice for the burn-in music...the 7th burns itself into whatever it touches...
Stu

Nov 7, 2001 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 12
HA! Deuce, that is really funny. I realize that Shostakovich is not the most recognizable guy around. Most people have never even heard of him. I am only 23, so I just assumed that no one would think it was me....but I guess unless you checked my profile I may well have been 70. I guess I am flattered though
confused.gif

Stu

Nov 8, 2001 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 12
Don't ask me to admit how long I thought coolvij was Coltrane. Although skippy and legoman are a little easier to discern.

Oh, you might also be able to get just the driver...hold on...(looks around on the Sennheiser site)...dagnabit, that reminds me, where is my freakin' poster? Did anyone else get theirs?...(gets back to the task at hand)...ah! Here it is!

Nov 8, 2001 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 12
Replacement element-300 OHMS
Price: $89.60

Yikes. A tad rich no?
I mean a new pair can be had for about $120 or so.
(If you look hard enough!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 8, 2001 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 12
Yeah, I am not going to fork out 90 bucks for a new element, when I barely notice what is wrong with the old one. I might just wait a year or so and get a pair of 600s or something.....I am not too concerned.
Thanks for the heads up though. BTW, where would one get that poster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back