Please 'splain me why I like Steely Dan so much
Jun 10, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #16 of 21
I should have mentioned that lyrics don't really matter to me. Just saying because I have had people recommend 'similar music' to me before, based on lyrical content, but I basically ignore lyrics outright when I listen to music. Half the time I just wish they would replace the vocalist with another instrument. So I don't really know what Steely Dan's music is "about", if anything.

Jun 11, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #18 of 21
I'm trying really hard to like SD, but so far... I just can't. There's something very "cliche 70's" in the way they sound. Some great 70's albums(think DSOTM or WYWH, off course) sound timeless as ever, but SD sounds just old to me.

Now, mastering and SQ of their albums is different story entirely.

Jun 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #19 of 21

Quote:
Because they use the best studio musicians, helps a lot..... You can also add brilliant song writing... You should have been around the music seen when "Can't Buy A Thrill" came out........It took over FM radio.....

And no static at all.

So I just popped in my SACD Gaucho and it sounds excellent. But I can't find my MFSL Gaucho.

Jun 12, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #20 of 21
Late Pink Floyd and The Eagles are the epitome of cliche 1970s sound for me. Overproduced, self indulgent, pretentious and jaded. Steely Dan knew how to craft a song well and perform it with great skill. They also knew how to record to make their instruments sound clear and live.

Jun 13, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #21 of 21
If you ever get a chance to purchase their "Two Against Nature" DVD, do it.  It's an excellent concert recorded at a club in New York.  Steely Dan is such a humble group - but, puts out such great music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back