please recommended good over-head headphones for jazz or rock under $600
Dec 7, 2014 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Artism

New Head-Fier
hey guys, i'd wanna good over-head headphones for jazz or rock.
in the past, i'd searched many headphones-sennheiser's hd600, beyer's dt880, nad viso hp50, etc.
but.. i dont know what is the good for jazz or rock.
according to what i heard, hd600 is best reference headphones to be worthy of high-end, but it is also bad for rock
as contrast with it, however, dt880 is good for jazz or rock, but, it is bad for classic and its sound is so light.
what...the... i'm so confused and not able to choose what is the good for me.
so.. i wanna hear many headphones in sound store.. but.. as i dont know many good headphones for jazz or rock, please recommended them to me.
whatever.. your recommended is welcome for me regardless of opened and closed.
just recommended your every preference to me...

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 5
There are no perfect headphones. I hate reviews that say a headphone is "bad for rock" or "bad for classical" - unless the headphones are so horrible they are really "bad for music", then they aren't "bad" - they might not be "ideal" for a genre, but they are rarely horrible for one genre and outstanding for another. It's never as black & white as that. I guarantee you there are *plenty* of people that listen to rock on the Sennheiser 600, and probably also plenty of people that listen to classical with the DT880.

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #3 of 5
There are no perfect headphones. I hate reviews that say a headphone is "bad for rock" or "bad for classical" - unless the headphones are so horrible they are really "bad for music", then they aren't "bad" - they might not be "ideal" for a genre, but they are rarely horrible for one genre and outstanding for another. It's never as black & white as that. I guarantee you there are *plenty* of people that listen to rock on the Sennheiser 600, and probably also plenty of people that listen to classical with the DT880.

I'm going to have to agree with this. For those heavily involved in details, of course headphones with unique sound signatures are going to accentuate parts of music that may complement or detract from the overall presentation. But I think any decent to excellent headphone can be used for any type of music. The headphone reviews intentionally exaggerate characteristics and contrast them to other headphones aggressively as the smaller details are really where the differences stand out. I do find myself listening to different headphones for different music. However this is only for fun, and not because certain headphones can't reproduce a music genre. 

Try not to overlook the importance of build quality and physical comfort. Much of your enjoyment will come from the quality of the headphone; when you pick the headphone up, look at it, and then put it on, you will experience the initial satisfaction or displeasure depending on the headphone. The way they fit on your head, how often you have to move them around to stay comfortable, etc. These are as important as the sound quality for most purposes. 

Depending on how many headphones you've narrowed the search down to, pick some Dungeons and Dragons dice and take your chance. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #4 of 5
I find it hard to go wrong with hd600, it doesnt have a particular best character in the class, but it does everything very well. Much so that it's a good entry point to high end audio gear, probably along dt880 and he-400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back