Please recommend sub-1k DSD capable DAC+Amp
May 23, 2014 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

konoyaro

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a DAC to use in an office environment that will be exclusively with headphones.

I currently use the following:

Grado SR-328is
  HeadAmp Gilmore Lite
  iBasso D7
  Mac Mini

The plan would be to replace the HeadAmp Gilmore Lite and iBasso D7 with a single unit that can process DSD and provide ample power for the Grados.
I'm intrigued by the Oppo HA-1 and have had good luck with their products in the past but it seems like it may be overkill for my needs and it exceeds my intended budget of $1000 USD or less. This brings me to the Teac UD-501 (or perhaps the more elusive UD-301) which seems like a good match for my needs but I'm also intrigued by the Denon DA-300USB and the Korg DS-DAC-100.
Since both Teac and Korg have apps to software to manage DSD files, they seem to have an advantage over the Denon.

Given the above, I'd love to hear some input as to what would be a good DSD capable DAC/AMP to suit my needs.

TIA!

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 5
I can't say I have any experience with anything mentioned above, but a cheaper option would be to just throw something like the Schiit Loki in the chain.  The Gilmore Lite is known to be an exceptional amp, so I'm curious as to why you wish to replace it.

Jun 4, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the reply AS. It's not so much that I want to replace the Gilmore Lite as I want to get a better DAC with DSD thrown in. Since most DSD capable DACs I'm aware of feature a built in amp, I would basically be looking to reduce redundancy.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the reply AS. It's not so much that I want to replace the Gilmore Lite as I want to get a better DAC with DSD thrown in. Since most DSD capable DACs I'm aware of feature a built in amp, I would basically be looking to reduce redundancy.

Check out Audio-GD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back